D&D 5E "The next iteration of D&D is a game on its own"

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
My favorite parts of the interview...

I’m hoping you could shed some light on what fundamental concepts remain key to the new edition. In other words, what elements of the existing D&D game are absolutely essential to bring into a new edition, whether in terms of game systems, storytelling, or atmosphere?

We actually went back and played every major edition of D&D and used those experiences to help narrow down the absolute core elements of the game. If you removed those elements, it’s not D&D. Our list includes the six abilities, classes, levels, hit points, Armor Class, and a few other things. In many ways, the list creates the shared language that links the editions.

Of course, the most important element of D&D is the DM. We found that across all the editions, the DM was more important than the specific rules. Supporting DMs and giving them the tools to create the campaigns they want is an important goal for the project.
I really like the fact they went back and played the older editions. That tells me they are serious about making D&D Next an edition that all D&D fans will be interested in taking a look at.

Also, the list of core elements is very... telling.

Can a new edition of Dungeons & Dragons succeed without a more open approach to licensing, like we saw with the OGL of 3rd edition?

I think that an open license speaks to how people think about D&D, and in some ways it is a big part of the game’s culture. We want people to feel like we’re making an effort to include everything that they love about the game, and we’re exploring options for third party publishers.
While I don't think we'll get as open a license as the first OGL, I think this statement means the D&D community will get a much better licensing option than the GSL. An OGL-Lite that allows 3PP to create adventures, sourcebooks, and settings but not alternate rulebooks, perhaps?

Still too early to know for sure.

We’ve heard that Forgotten Realms will be a supported setting from the start of the new edition? Is this correct? Are new and alternative game settings still a central part of the D&D strategy as the game moves forward into a new edition?

Just as fans like different mechanics and styles of play, so too do they like lots of settings. We’re making plans to ensure that your setting of choice is incorporated into our plans, but right now it’s too early to go into specifics.
As a huge fan of the older TSR settings, I am very happy to see that the design team is concerned with creating a new D&D game that can be molded for use with the classic D&D Worlds.

It's also likely to be a huge boon for homebrewers.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
We've been hearing about the revenue stream (with little actual data to sustantiate it) of DDI since its launch. While I'm sure it's a pillar of the 5e strategy, DDI clearly isn't enough. At least, not enough to push D&D into the "Core Brand" designation of Hasbro/WotC. Otherwise, we wouldn't be seeing a 5e this soon.

Well, I do not think there's a chance in heck of it ever becoming a "core brand" of Hasbro, regardless of what edition they're on. ;) WotC got bought because of Pokemon and Magic. D&D was just along for the ride.

Remove ads