The Official Welcome Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skallon

Explorer
Oh dear, I'm a lurker...

...as EN World constantly reminds me. Well, urm, I've been around long enough to have read rec.games.frp.* before TPTB divided it up into separate newsgroups back in the '80s, so I'm not quite up to diaglo's timeline, but close. While I remember the good old days fondly, I certainly don't want to go back to them; the modern edition of D&D suits me just fine. And now I will resume my lurking on this board... and the WOTC boards... and the newsgoups... and marvel how Hong can find the time to post on EVERY SINGLE ONE of them. Whatever do you do for a living, Hong? And can I get in on it? ;-)

All the best,
Skallon

Pacio49

First Post
Intro

Greetings everyone. I'm a lifelong gamer of D&D just finally getting around to getting myself on ENWorld. I live and work in Connecticut and run a 3.0 campaign in my own world (Tol Vehara) and am currently playing in DMChucky's Rappan Athok 3.5 campaign. As a player I'm much more interested in plot development and character growth than necessarily the hack & slash, and I find myself drawn to the odd-yet-non-spectacular race/class/personae combinations. For example, in the 3.5 campaign I'm about to enter with my second character (I try to only play one at a time... the first one just retired to off-camera) as Nipnottle the Gnome Paladin of Shaundakul (and his Riding Dog/special mount 'Sparky', the St. Bernard [great Gnomish Saint of Garl Glittergold's, but that's another story]).

As a DM, I'm particularly good at world-building in the socio-political sense (and I don't really care how much the albedo would warm the planet at that tilt and yay far from its sun, unless it's going to affect the dynastic succession of Amoeba King George in the primordial sea, thus ushering in an age of darkness or light). I enjoy using the 'one for fun' method of determining random encounters, and then using every third or fifth roll to make the clock of plotted macro-setting events advance one notch.

As a DM, I'm pretty bad at judging where the fine line between a firefight of such intense proportions you lose a third of the PCs and the dreaded TPK. So I often overcompensate and make things too easy (at least to my notion of the same) and then sit there in baffled befuddlement at the fact that even though I decided the invisible rogue assassin would NOT be needed the party came damned near close to biting the big one. And then other times putting things in their path that are supposed to be awfully dreadful and enough to end the game session, only to have the pixie half-dragon barbarian party member sneeze sideways to wipe the whole thing out.

As a player, I find myself appreciating the fact that someone else has put the effort into the work of plotting and scheming. And I rather enjoy a subtle approach to roleplaying, trying to adjust not only my character's direct actions and statements to be in character, but also taking a light overtone of mood or whimsy in things I let myself say out of character, too. Example: playing a CG elf with a short attention span, I would often come across as though I the player were stating that an action any experienced player would avoid or at least be wary of was something the rest of the players ought to consider and follow through with. It was a couple of game sessions before they all caught on.

But then, one of the DM's I gamed under for years would tell stories of *his* DM who had moved away... man by the name of Rich, who would assign extra days of schooling (AD&D 2nd edition advancement requiring x# of sp/week of training, he'd tack on extra days that then got prorated in sp cost and tacked on to the bill for advancement). He'd make notes of folks talking quietly among themselves while their characters were under a silence spell, etc. It led to a disciplined bunch of players who passed such discipline (anecdotally only) on to me. So, when the character died this past Sunday, the player became rather reserved, not even watching the rest of the battle much beyond occasionally taking the Hershey's Kisses with Almonds off the board as each of the NPC clerics died. (Hey, I waited until they were dead and then put the crumpled foil wrappers back in place.)

Anyway, that's me, gaming style. I look forward to getting to know you all through the boards. Guess I've got a bit of reading to catch up on, though. Hrm.

Obezyanchik

First Post
Hiya!

Hi there. I've been gaming off and on for maybe 8 or 9 years, and I follow the story hours that Cerebral Paladin and Orichalcum write. (I also play Dove in Cerebral Paladin's game.) Thank you for the warm welcome!

Berginyon

First Post
Hi! I've visited EN World on and off for the past year or so, but now that I finally made an account over at the WotC site, I decided I should do the same here! :eek:

I've mostly participated in D&D campaigns with a little V:DA and Shadowrun on the side. I'm currently taking part in an Eberron campaign, and the username is from the previous (FR) campaign I played in before moving up north. I'm interested in playing in other systems such as CoC, SG-1, and Paranoia (just because I've never gotten the chance).

I look forward to reading more here -- and maybe even participating one day :D

Kheine

First Post
Welcome to EN World!

Oh... wait, I guess that's your line.

A few of my mates have been here for a while so I thought I'd join in rather than just lurk. I've been impressed by the intelligence (and humour) on the site. Hopefully y'all have some great insight for the games I play in/run.

Cheers.

Temmogen

First Post
Greetings

Hi, been lurking as a guest for the past year, and finallly decided to take the plunge and register.

So Hi!

innerabove

First Post
Artist, new at ENWorld

My name's Caleb Cleveland, a freelance artist who works for a number of RPG publishers, including Kenzer & Co., White Wolf, and Green Ronin. A gallery of some of my work, mostly b/w, can be seen at my website, www.calebcleveland.com. Please be kind, it's my very first website!

Thanks a bunch!

c.

nightfall966

First Post
Just to say hi

Hi I'm Nightfall and I'm new to the board. I have been GM'ing D&D 2nd Ed. for several years and am about to lose my last player, so I'm moving to an online gaming forum and will be looking for players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads