• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The OGL 1.1 is not an Open License

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I mean that just isn't true. You can WANT 3pps to make money, but fan work homebrew and things like this very board will fill that hole.
That's a naive view of the 3PP ecosystem. One of they keys to its success has been that it provides professional products for which there is significant demand -- adventures, class crunch, monster books, settings etc -- that WotC does not think are profitable enough to bother with. The key here is "professional" -- you know, with editors and layout artists and such.

You cannot republish your DMsGuild material anywhere else and anyone can copy and modify it.
That doesn't appear to be true. From the site, "Wizards does not own any of the unique IP that you create in your publications." It strikes me that you could use the unique IP you've published on DMsGuild in a different publication. Does the agreement say somewhere that you can't?
That's untenable for a lot of creators.
Perhaps, and yet DMsGuild seems to be motoring along without them.

mamba

Legend
and as I said I'm not sure if that IS a bad thing. having none or less 3pp will change things I am unsure if it will for better or worse.
misunderstood you then (or rather you said so in a different post).

I can tell you that the widespread 3P support is definitely one of the reasons I went with 5e, also if there were none I would not have spent one $ more on WotC products, I simply would own less 5e products

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
That doesn't appear to be true. From the site, "Wizards does not own any of the unique IP that you create in your publications." It strikes me that you could use the unique IP you've published on DMsGuild in a different publication. Does the agreement say somewhere that you can't?

Perhaps, and yet DMsGuild seems to be motoring along without them.
You can't publish the work as a whole anywhere else. https://support.dmsguild.com/hc/en-us/articles/217520927-Ownership-and-License-OGL-Questions

misunderstood you then (or rather you said so in a different post).
I persnally have gone back and forth on weather 3pp was or is a good thing... and I could list out pros and cons.
I can tell you that the widespread 3P support is definitely one of the reasons I went with 5e, also if there were none I would mot have spent one $ more on WotC products, I simply would own less 5e products
I am sure you are far from alone. My question is, is it enough to make a dent?

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
not really, it's more that there are pros and cons both for and against 3PP
What exactly would be a negative of 3PP support for 1D&D?
and if there wasn't a professional product there you don't think that homebrew and shared non professional content would be there...
Are you suggesting that some random shared Gdoc originating from reddit would have the same quality, penetration and acceptance as, say, a Kobold Press book?

I know netbooks are/were a thing, and you do occasionally find really high quality fan work (Star Wars 5E as an example) but I am completely unconvinced returning to the usenet days of unofficial support would be a good think for D&D.

Remove ads