The OGL 1.1 is not an Open License

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Could someone link me to a complete list of GSL licensors/licensees?

I can only remember Goodman and Mongoose, and only to, as Wikipedia puts it "to not much benefit for themselves"

My point is, nobody will want to accept this deal from WotC. The OGL 1.1. as leaked will be completely nuking the 3PP D&D market other than the Dungeon Master's Guild, which I guess is exactly what Hasbro intended.
I chatted with dudes who work/worked for Goodman games back in the GSL days and the consensus basically was that the license was bad but after WOTC pulled the poison pill provision they shrugged and gave it a try.

What made them discontinue their 4E publishing was the sales of the supplements, really.

CapnZapp

Legend
What made them discontinue their 4E publishing was the sales of the supplements, really.
And what do you think will sink any OGL 1.1 licensors, pray tell? ;)

The more interesting realization is that leaving D&D is what spurred the incredible burst of fun and creativity that is the DCC line of adventures.

(Goodman Games line of 3e scenarios were mediocre, their line of 4e scenarios were atrocious, but their line of DCC scenarios range from good to awesomely brilliant)

What Hasbro really is doing is setting up a new batch of competitors that they will have great trouble overcoming, especially since this time nobody will trust them even if they realize they need to go back to an open license. So it's not just doom and gloom (unless you're depending on the industry for your livelihood these coming years, I guess)

Voadam

Legend
Could someone link me to a complete list of GSL licensors/licensees?
Good luck with that.

Drivethru currently lists 489 PDFs tagged as 4e GSL but that includes a bunch of false positives.

Kobold, EN Publishing, Expeditious Retreat Press, Dias Ex Machina, Sasquatch Studios, Adamant are others who also used the GSL after the poison pill was removed.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
And what do you think will sink any OGL 1.1 licensors, pray tell? ;)

The more interesting realization is that leaving D&D is what spurred the incredible burst of fun and creativity that is the DCC line of adventures.

(Goodman Games line of 3e scenarios were mediocre, their line of 4e scenarios were atrocious, but their line of DCC scenarios range from good to awesomely brilliant)

What Hasbro really is doing is setting up a new batch of competitors that they will have great trouble overcoming, especially since this time nobody will trust them even if they realize they need to go back to an open license. So it's not just doom and gloom (unless you're depending on the industry for your livelihood these coming years, I guess)
Yeah, agreed.

Outside of the city guide to Punjar nothing was really notable about the 4e era stuff of theirs. The 3e stuff that I have from them (both in its original form and some adventures converted to DCC) don't really shine in the same way.

Voadam

Legend

While I really like a lot of their DCC modules I don't attribute the quality to leaving the D&D game system. I think Goodman encourages weird cool sword and sorcery stuff narratively/culturally/marketing as their thing more so now in the DCC era and this attracts writing for that style.

Patrons and spells with lots of success levels are OK, but I think the DCC module ideas work fairly well regardless of system the way the early 3e Goodman modules could be 3e or for a few of them Castles & Crusades more OSR style.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I’m probably missing it. Is there anything about your content (what used to be OGC) being open? That’s kind of the point of an open license. That others can use it, not just WotC.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Even if one camp will be an overflowing refugee camp full of bewildered and sometimes dying publishers,...

Mod Note:
We are starting to see a wave of hyperbolic analogies on these issues.

This license issue is really nothing like the refugee experience, and we'd take it kindly if you kept some perspective on this, rather than reaching for ever more drastic human tragedies to compare to. Thanks.

I’m probably missing it. Is there anything about your content (what used to be OGC) being open? That’s kind of the point of an open license. That others can use it, not just WotC.
I thought I read something on rpg.net saying that 1.1 only opened your content to WotC, not to other 3pp publishers.

But to be honest at this point I’m not even sure if it’s true any more or whether it was some sort of fever dream. This litany of horrors just gets more ridiculously over-the-top disastrous at every turn, to the point that it’s wearying and we’re all getting a bit hysterical, to be honest.

Art Waring

halozix.com
The new license prevents sub-licensing, so no 3pp's can use anyone else's OGC under the new license. That's to the best of my understanding anyway.

In the (leaked, not released) Non-Commercial license, there's the share-alike provision. In the Commercial license, your content is not open. Only Wizards can use it (more accurately, only Wizards can decide who uses it).

II. LICENSE. If, and only if, You fully comply with the terms and conditions of this agreement, You may copy, use, modify
and distribute Licensed Content around the world as part of Licensed Works on a commercial basis.
A. We may offer others the ability to use Licensed Content or Unlicensed Content under any conditions We choose.
B. You may not transfer Your rights and duties under this agreement under any circumstance or for any reason. This
license is not sub-licensable.

Remove ads