The OGL: Why is this really happening, and what to do now...

It make sense though, doesn't it? Instead of taking traditional table-top role-playing mainstream (like we want them to), they reconfigure the brand into being about something that's already more mainstream, accessible and profitable.

Their executives are from the video game world. It's what they know.

Last edited:

mamba

Legend
I keep seeing references to Loot Boxes and so forth. This really doesn't jibe with the One D&D playtest or its stated goal of producing new core rulebooks. Colville's prediction here is pretty grim, but if this is the plan then I'm not seeing it.
the playtest won't have lootboxes, the VTT on the other hand, who knows

mamba

Legend
It make sense though, doesn't it? Instead of taking traditional table-top role-playing mainstream (like we want them to), they reconfigure the brand into being about something that's already more mainstream, accessible and profitable.

Their executive are from the video game world. It's what they know.
yeah, about that profitable part... much easier said than done. There are many who tried and failed

ThorinTeague

Creative/Father/Professor
And what did they tell those 1500 3pp's when they "realized" they actually "could" "deauthorize" OGL1.0a? The ones they were courting with the text you see here to do... exactly what they did... and now are being metaphorically threatened at gunpoint with demands to comply, halt operations, or face the consequences? That's open and shut fraud, and those 1500 3pp's I would think might be interested in some damages now, but of course it takes all kinds.

Even the legal victory WoTC so desperately hopes to win [regarding "deauthorizing" OGL1.0a--if they are proven to have that power legally], dubious though it may be, would still be an entirely pyhhric one at this point. They don't seem to have much open community left with whom to argue about new licensing terms. They must halt and reverse course ASAP.

Remove ads