• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The oldest (druid) question in the book...

Thanee said:
Well, WotC surely has chosen a less than optimal way to update their rules there, but we just have to live with that. I at least consider both the FAQ and the RotG articles as RAW, much like the errata. I'm pretty sure WotC does so as well. ;)

Which is why they specifically call out in the Errata that the only thing that trumps the PHB, DMG, or MM is the Errata file?

I don't think so. :)

glass

(he, him)
Li Shenron said:
I would treat them differently. The human bonus feat doesn't really work like all racial bonus feats, which are (1) fixed for all members of the race, and (2) do not require to meet the prerequisites. Racial bonus feats are like birth talents, while the human bonus feats is more like something that humans learn like any other feat.

That has always been my opinion too, but I was just curious as to what other thought about it and this seemed like a convenient thread to 'jack (at least, it was no more OT than my arguing with Thanee about what was and wasn't rules :D ).

glass.

Last edited:

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Since this is some questions about wildshape in general(and therefore about polymorph/change self), I had a couple more.

I've read all the articles and the FAQ a couple of times. I still am a bit confused on a couple of points. If I've got it correctly, let me know.

Your hit points aren't rerolled or go up or down, but they essentially still do due to your new con modifier.

If you change form into something that is still humanoid shaped but something other than your size, does ALL of your equipment resize/change to fit? The articles sounds like it does. At first I thought it was all equipment that wasn't weapons or armor resize, but rereading it, it sounds like all equipment.

A player in my group who is a Master of Many Forms keeps changing into a Troll, where either his full plate and greatsword resizes to large size along with his ring of protection, etc. with over 100 hitpoints due to his new con, or he's a lowly troll with almost no hit points and a low AC

Other than that, I believe I have a good handle on what happens.

Ovistavin

First Post
Majoru Oakheart said:
Since this is some questions about wildshape in general(and therefore about polymorph/change self), I had a couple more.

I've read all the articles and the FAQ a couple of times. I still am a bit confused on a couple of points. If I've got it correctly, let me know.

Your hit points aren't rerolled or go up or down, but they essentially still do due to your new con modifier.
Correct, the Druid's Hit Points stay the same except for adjustments due to his new Con modifier.

Majoru Oakheart said:
If you change form into something that is still humanoid shaped but something other than your size, does ALL of your equipment resize/change to fit? The articles sounds like it does. At first I thought it was all equipment that wasn't weapons or armor resize, but rereading it, it sounds like all equipment.

A player in my group who is a Master of Many Forms keeps changing into a Troll, where either his full plate and greatsword resizes to large size along with his ring of protection, etc. with over 100 hitpoints due to his new con, or he's a lowly troll with almost no hit points and a low AC

Other than that, I believe I have a good handle on what happens.
If the form can use the equipment (including weapons and armor) then the equipment changes size to match the new form. Otherwise the equipment is melded into the form and doesn't work.

glass

(he, him)
Ovistavin said:
Correct, the Druid's Hit Points stay the same except for adjustments due to his new Con modifier.

Or, the Druid's hit points stay the same, full stop.

Opinion is divided, but wildshape is based on Polymorph which is based on alter self. Alter self says:

The SRD said:
Your class and level, hit points, alignment, base attack bonus, and base save bonuses all remain the same.
(emphasis mine).

That is not overruled in the Polumorph or Wild Shape descriptions, so AFAIAC hp stay the same. As a bonus, it's much easier to play that way. :D

If the form can use the equipment (including weapons and armor) then the equipment changes size to match the new form. Otherwise the equipment is melded into the form and doesn't work.

This is a common houserule, but it doesn't actually say that anywhere in the spells' descriptions.

glass.

Thanee

First Post
Majoru Oakheart said:

Yep. You keep the HD rolls, but the Con change applies (per the FAQ).

If you change form into something that is still humanoid shaped but something other than your size, does ALL of your equipment resize/change to fit?

I'd say so, yes. Size changing magic generally resizes equipment, much like magical equipment automatically resizes to fit the wearer. It's mostly a matter of convenience.

Bye
Thanee

glass

(he, him)
Thanee said:
Yep. You keep the HD rolls, but the Con change applies (per the FAQ).

me said:
But the FAQ and random articles on Wizards' web site can't change the rules. If the RotG article contradicts the PHB (and you apparently concede that it does), the article is wrong.

Thanee said:
I'd say so, yes. Size changing magic generally resizes equipment, much like magical equipment automatically resizes to fit the wearer. It's mostly a matter of convenience.

Enlage Person, for example, specifically says it equipment changes size to match the new form. The Acter-Poly-Wildshape chain have no such clause.

And everyone always forgets that the DMG does not say equipment resizes to fit the wearer: It recomends that equipment resize automatically or be easily adjustible. This to me in no way suggest that items will resize instantly on a size change if the spell doing the size change doesn't cause them to.

glass.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
glass said:
Enlage Person, for example, specifically says it equipment changes size to match the new form. The Acter-Poly-Wildshape chain have no such clause.

Also see the 'Sizing' magic weapon +1 special ability in CAdv. It specifically notes that casters who polymorph frequently find it useful.

The only place weapons-change-size-on-Polymorph is mentioned is in RotG, not in the rules.

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads