The One Ring 2E: General Discussion Thread

Aldarc

Legend
I am on the fence on when to set my campaign. My favorite non-Trilogy period in ME history is the fall of Arnor and the wars against the Witch King. But I am also considering a campaign that starts just before the War of the Ring, set in the North, and moves fairly quickly through the War in the North to come out on the other side to be an early 4th Age game. What are you planning to do?
Either of these sound like winners to me and what I would likely do as well.

Rohan centuries before the War of the Ring could also be fun.

aramis erak

Legend
Would you mind commenting what changes the second edition has compared to the first from what you could see of the Alpha document? You don't need to develop anything specific, just roughly.
Thank you!
Target numbers are no longer set by the GM, but are based upon the score tested.
ꞇ results still set success level (SL), but also get spent (without reducing SL) for extra progress on multi success extended action, cancel another's failure, and several other "special success" options.
Note that target numbers will range from 18+ down to (for numenoreans) 11+. So, unskilled, you're going to need those gandalfs.
GMs can set bonus or penalty dice for various reasons.
Favoured and ill-favoured rolls are the new label for the extra d12
Favored skills now indeed give a second d12 instead of increasing the amount a hope adds, especially since hope no longer adds att to the total...
Hope adds 1 die (no more) to a given roll.
Distinctive features can generate inspiration
Inspiration doubles hope spends
Support of others costs hope,
Penalties are in success dice, as are bonuses. worst a penalty can do is reduce to just the feat die/dice.
Autosuccess is hope powering a magic item before rolling.
Standard elves are Lindon, rather than Mirkwood.
Standard dwarves are Durin's folk.
No "favored stat" additions. (Which really were underpowered anyway, since atts only mattered if you were spending hope in 1E)
Some skill differences in Char Gen (bardings for example lose 1 travel to gain 1 athletics); hunting and exokore swap attribute; scan replaces search.
Combat skills now called proficiencies.
Rangers not as overpowered.
Captain calling now core.
Patrons better established
Fellowship only usable to regain hope while resting - no more grab it in combat.
"Experience" now the category for Skill Points and Adventure Points
Skill Points no longer based upon use, instead 3 per session.
only 4 combat proficiencies.
Standard of living improved by having a large cache of treasure points at home.
No cultural rewards in the Alpha. (Grr... Blanding! )
Bows specifically allowed two volleys if the range is long enough.
Forward/open/defensive +1d/+0d/-1d
Wounding now has a damage roll, with it possibly being no major effect, normal wound, or straight to dying.
Attack TNs are Strength TN modified by target's parry.
It's way too late for me, so maybe more later...
(as an aside, the insular t is the same shape as the skill rune, so u+a786 is the way to put it on the web...)
Travel solves the "Big parties have way more enounters" issue, as only the guide rolls, each ꞇ increasing the distance to the next encounter. So a skilled guide now is more about avoiding encounters than shortening the time.
There are fewer kinds of mechanical terrain: Impassible, Hard no mounts, hard mounts allowed, normal. No road bonus (other than allowing mounted travel.)
Event targeting now uses a d6, and targets are usually "All ___"
The events on journeys are actually more bland than 1E.
Individual travel rolls are end of trip to reduce fatigue taken.

Oh, and the skill rune? small insular T, unicode u+A787.
Gandalf rune? Feoh: u+16A0
I don't have a good unicode for the eye rune, but it is simpler this time, so... compount it... ‹·› - u+2039 u+00B7 u+203A looks good enough, tho if you have the right fonts, a fermata U+1D110 would work, but it's not in the standard fonts installed on Mac, Win, and Linux by default. The single Guillemet is nicer than the gt/lt signs, but those work too, <·>, tho' they look too wide to my eye. I've used Ger between single guillemets before, too u+16C4 for the 1E eye rune. But to be honest, the extant symbols were cumbersome to use that way, so I just added them in the PUA of unicode on my fonts for my cheat sheets and mats. Along with the runes for the terrain types, tho' those all are in the standard unicode block.

Edit to add: it starts 19 years later than 1E, 24 years from the Battle of Five Armies, 2965 TE.
And, just to be clear, yes, they have changed the Eye of Sauron rune - it's now two curved arcs with a flame in the space between, rather than 1E's Tyr rune with arrowheads and under that a flat diamond.

Edit to add: more hope recovery, easier shadow point removal. No more taking Fellowship points without permission.
Fellowship Focus is more flexible, but no longer a hope recovery; it instead provides Inspiration, allowing your moral support to give the FF a bonus die on tasks or tests.
Fail-forward explicit option in some situations. 3 keywords for risk level (Standard, Hazardish, Foolish). Standard is fail = choice of simple fail or success with complication (using the term Woe in the rules).
Hazard is fail = fail + Woe
Foolish is fail = Disaster! The examples include Riddle-games with Dragons and bandying words with a wizard...
Extended action system is more generalized, and is cumulative successes rather than reduced difficulty.
More explicitly "scene" based design, more nods to cinema; that's a triviality, tho'.

Last edited:

imagineGod

Legend
Target numbers are no longer set by the GM, but are based upon the score tested.
ꞇ results still set success level (SL), but also get spent (without reducing SL) for extra progress on multi success extended action, cancel another's failure, and several other "special success" options.
Note that target numbers will range from 18+ down to (for numenoreans) 11+. So, unskilled, you're going to need those gandalfs.
GMs can set bonus or penalty dice for various reasons.
Favoured and ill-favoured rolls are the new label for the extra d12
So in other words, 5e Advantage and Disadvantage.

Remove ads