The One Ring 2E: General Discussion Thread

imagineGod

Legend
Because in the history of Tabletop RPGs, the idea of taking the better of two die rolls had never existed before 5e...
Nobody said what you are insinuating. Please read my sentence again.

If you then wish tio quote me, why not present another name for that game mechanic used pre-5e. That helps to educate everyone conversant with 5e..

That will be appreciated.

Last edited:

aramis erak

Legend
So in other words, 5e Advantage and Disadvantage.
Kind of but not quite. Yes, it's the same in the manner of "2K1", but no, not the same use in play.
Difficulties adjust the number of d6's. Modifiers (and there are several) can add/subtract d6's, or in the case of a few of the Virtues, the total roll.
Favoured and Ill-Favoured only affect the feat die (d12, essentially d12-1), and are set mechanically, not as difficulty options, unlike D&D's Adv/Disadv.

In 1E, the default TN was 14. Difficulties could adjust it ±6 by default. It was 1dFeat + (skillLevel)d6.
So unskilled, you had only nat-12 of success on default difficulty; easier TNs allowed a better than 1/12 without needing extra dice, but the 2k1 mechanic was triggered by special abilities, not favoured skills

With the 2e mechanic, a favoured skill is now 2k1, so a 23/144 vs 12/144 chance of success at base difficulty. Which is a much better chance at default difficulty.

Reynard

Legend
Thinking on it more, and talkin to people in my player pool, I am kind of leaning toward creating a new setting based upon the "sense" and "tone" of ME -- that is, utilizing the elements of Middle Earth that make it such a strong setting without relying on the legendarium. In other words: creating my own world.

aramis erak

Legend
Thinking on it more, and talkin to people in my player pool, I am kind of leaning toward creating a new setting based upon the "sense" and "tone" of ME -- that is, utilizing the elements of Middle Earth that make it such a strong setting without relying on the legendarium. In other words: creating my own world.
Note that the level of detail in Character gen is only slightly reduced, and there's no default human; each human culture is different, as was the case in 1e.

aramis erak

Legend
Note that the level of detail in Character gen is only slightly reduced, and there's no default human; each human culture is different, as was the case in 1e.
Getting into the nitty-gritty...
  • They removed the non-combat skills from all of the LMC (NPC) templates. Gone. They only have combat stats for them, and only combat based special abilities.
  • They removed Backgrounds from Character Gen. No background traits, no background favoured skills. The 6 attribute sets are still present, but nothing else from background.
  • They removed the Edge Stat from weapons. Everything threatens to penetrate on a10, and everything but axes can spend ꞇ for increasing the chance of penetration. (Which they got roughly backwards...)
  • Very narrow adversaries list. Not a surprise, but still disappointing.

Reynard

Legend
I have been think about a couple things I may want to do, and want to bounce them off the folks reading thsi thread.

First, I think I want to use the Battle of Dale as the culmination of the first part of the campaign, when the Easterlings push the Men of the Dale and the Dwarves of Erebor back to the Lonely Mountain. In the lead up, I want the PCs to engage with the Easterlings, including a group of rebels I will create that aren't loyal to Sauron. I will make Khamul my Big Bad and bend canon a little to make sure that one is leading the final assault. I might even want to introduce a Blue Wizard into the mix, though I haven't decided yet. Thoughts?

Separately and not necessarily for the same game, I want to have something in Eriador emerge from the past to be a threat, but nothing obvious like the witch king. While researching I discovered that some dwarves did in fact join with Sauron in the Second Age, and since Sauron offered up three of the Dwarf Rings to get Dain to join with him, it stands to reason maybe there is a "dwarf wraith" out there, haunting ancient halls and preparing for war against the line of Durin at the behest of the Dark Lord. Thoughts?

Aldarc

Legend
I briefly thought about using the One Ring 2E for a setting inspired by Middle Earth, but where the War of Wrath breaks up Alt. Middle Earth into archipelagos and island nations - which likely would have made the Rohirrim into Vikings rather than Horse Lords - but I think the major hurdle would be naval rules.

Reynard

Legend
I am starting to zoom in on the campaign I want to run: all dwarf PCs, out of the kingdom Thrain and Thorin established in the Blue Mountains before Thrain went off and Thorin retook Erebor. The focus will be on a group of dwarves descended from those who aligned with Sauron in the past, and the PCs will, if successful, ultimately be able to keep that faction from joining the War of the Ring and tipping the balance.

Remove ads