The Orville - Season 1

Jhaelen

First Post
The days were a "season" took place every week for half the year (26 episodes) is long gone. Now if we get 6 to 12 episodes and they consider it a "full" season. Truly sad.
I definitely prefer shorter seasons. I consider ten episodes of 45 minutes each ideal. It's about the limit of what I can binge watch.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Interestingly Doctor Who is shortened to 10 fifty minute episodes next year rather than 12-13 45-minute episode. I’m not sure that five mins is much of a difference, but the three fewer episodes will be noticed.

The days were a "season" took place every week for half the year (26 episodes) is long gone. Now if we get 6 to 12 episodes and they consider it a "full" season. Truly sad.

FYI: As i've stated elsewhere for the big four (fox,ABC,CBS,NBC) here in the US (don't know and don't care about other countries) a full season is still either 22 to 24 episodes long for the most part, we just have more breaks than we used to.

neobolts

Explorer
I am really enjoying this show, to where it's become one I look forward to every week.

The Good:
I like that it is at it's core, it is a TNG/DS9 era Trek show. The sci-fi tech, the moral quandaries, the action beats, the sweeping orchestral music...it's all there.

The moral quandary aspects really shines. The Captain and XO in the lounge discussing at length the ethics of surgery on infants and forcing human cultural norms onto other species. Another excellent episode was 6, when they didn't take the easy route and have it be two cultures learning to understand one another. Instead, the other culture is irreconcilably focused on their demise as a matter of religious doctrine. Non-krill have no souls, and thus are a heresy that exists only to be purged.

The Not-As-Good
The humor works best when it is dry and deadpan (as someone pointed out earlier, like 1984 Ghostbusters). It works also when the characters act like real people, like when the helmsman is caught up in the moment of a victory in a space battle. Unfortunately, the humor falls apart when it is lazy and lowbrow, like anytime Norm McD's sexual harassment slime is on screen. The "bickering couple" aspect got stale early on and I hope the show learns to move past it.

Most of the Trek raters are rating the US network's broadcast strategy, not the show. It's actually really frustrating trying to have a conversation about it if you're not American.

It's so odd that we are in flipped situations. The Orville isn't on TV where you are, and Discovery is behind a streaming paywall I'm not willing to add to the budget over here.

I've only seen the Discovery premiere as a result. But it looks like we're getting two different but promising takes on Trek at the same time. Orville is TNG-era Trek with forced jokes, and Discovery is a "Starfleet at war" storyline it seems, something I enjoyed about later DS9.

Orius

Legend
And this week we get Social Media World. There were some wickedly funny moments, but it was still a pretty serious episode. This is the sort of thing that TOS would have done, though with a much better budget.

Remove ads