The Orville - Season 1

Ryujin

Legend
Just started watching it, OMG! Why havnt you guys told me about this sooner? Im diggin it, I thought it was going to be a slapstick Trek parody, but its actually pretty good, better than the last few Treks, and they tackle some pretty serious issues, really makes you think, ya know?

I'm thinking of it as a social commentary pill wrapped in a light coating of comedy.

I only started watching "Black Mirror" a couple of days ago and now understand why people compare the social media planet episode to the first episode, first season of "Black Mirror." While the episode of that show was much better done, I cringed all the way through it. "The Orville" got essentially the same message across, with far less cringe.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm thinking of it as a social commentary pill wrapped in a light coating of comedy.

I only started watching "Black Mirror" a couple of days ago and now understand why people compare the social media planet episode to the first episode, first season of "Black Mirror." While the episode of that show was much better done, I cringed all the way through it. "The Orville" got essentially the same message across, with far less cringe.

That was the third season of Black Mirror. It’s s4 this year.

Ryujin

Legend
That was the third season of Black Mirror. It’s s4 this year.

Thanks for that. When I clicked on the series NetFlix, in their infinite wisdom, decided that I should start with the last season. Despite my selecting season 1 it obviously still felt that I should watch three. I was going to be rather confused when, after a couple of more episodes, it just stopped.

Orius

Legend
Well, last episode of the season. And that kids, is why we have a Prime Directive (or whatever the Union calls it, but they did drop the phrase "cultural contamination" here, so we all know what we're dealing with).

The more we see of Moclan culture, the weirder it gets.

At least the show got picked up for a season 2, and rather easily, but it's going to be a long 9 months until next September. It's been a great show so far, it's had a LOT of silly moments, but it's done the serious stuff right.

Jeux Fictifs

First Post
I was hesitant in thinking that this will be a parody of next generation star trek ... but as far as I can see, I have several ... yes there is many jokes but it has interesting topics. I have the episode in which a member of the crew almost suffered a lobotomy because the population did not like a gesture with a statue. I told myself that we are not far from this situation in which your reputation is according to your "like" on this forum. ;-)

Orius

Legend
Oh yes, there was a lot of raging on YouTube about that episode, and I imagine Facebook, Twitter, reddit, et al., were probably worse. I'd say with all smug cynicism that that episode hit a bit too close to home for some. That was likely the episode's intent, and it delivered.

Jeux Fictifs

First Post
Because this episode of ORVILLE is interesting,
because it is close to a reality
because we are constantly judged on our actions and our words.
By a society that tries to standardize our thinking by the majority.

May be that one qet me many dislike ;-)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Good episode, on multiple levels.

And in classic American TV fashion, the story has ramifications that- in all probability- will never be revisited. Namely, a culture that jumps centuries every month.

A few years in-setting down the road, their tech level will surpass pretty much everything seen or implied thus far. All it takes with that level technological disparity is one bad egg with a starship to really cause problems on The Orville’s side of the anomaly. If that bad egg can muster more than that...

A few more years? A century?

CapnZapp

Legend
I think their rationale for never revisiting this civilization is that they will very soon become benevolent space ghost elves.

I guess religion (like politics) is off-topic for these boards, so I'll just say I liked the way the episode defined religion.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Remove ads