Pathfinder 2E The Pathfinder Subform Is Definitely Dead - So What?

kenada

Legend
Supporter
Ditto. If you look at the conversations I'm in, as I said, they're mostly general RPG topics that happened to be flagged as D&D-related.
Yeah, those too. There are some interesting topics, but I come to them too late, or they move too quickly. I’m also pretty tired of interacting with edition fans.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Whether I like it or not, truly D&D 5e is the 500lb gorilla in the TTRPG world.

Its perfectly legitimate for people to be focused on 5e here; since Morrus first put this up in the 3e days its been D&D-centric after all.

But it still means if that's not what you're into, its hard to get a conversation going and maintained here, for all there are subboards about other games.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...

I had a friend
was a big 3rd edition DM
back in high school
He could throw
that D20 by you
Make you look like a noob boy

Saw him just the other night
at this old FLGS
I was walking in
He was walking out
We went back in and sat down
had a few mountain dews
but all he would talk about was...

Glory Days
well they will pass you by
Glory Days
in the wink of a forum update
Glory days

On the one hand: even in the relatively lively reddit PF2 sub, it's mostly just rules clarifications and game tales - neither of which generate much discussion. Rule questions in PF2 usually have quick, clear answers (the question is most often because someone missed a general rule when looking at a specific situation). Game tales are interesting, but the response is usually just "cool!"

For broader topics (table etiquette, adventure design, story ideas, worldbuilding), there's no need to stick to a PF2 forum in particular, because the answer is usually the same for any DnD-like game. And you'll get more answers on a 5e-friendly forum because a lot more people go there.

It's a bit of a shame, but it's a side effect of being clearly written: without unclear rule what are we going to argue about?

Thomas Shey

Legend
I just realized that I didn't mention I was referring to Call of Cthulhu. That game and Chaosium are so closely bound in my brain that I really don't even think about Runequest, Stormbringer, or any other game.

Its kind of important though, because the truth is, CoC has less moving parts than most of their other games. There's a magic system, but, honestly, its usually a good idea to stay the hell away from it for the most part. So most twiddling on CoC editions have been pretty borderline at best (I heard that's a little less true of the most recent one, but don't know from personal experience). Short of just deciding a BRP basis was a mistake from the get-go (and people that feel that are already in other Lovecraftian games already, so there's little motivation for Chaosium to even consider it) there's just not much to usefully fiddle with.

This tends to be less true with a full-featured fantasy game, which usually has significantly more moving parts.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases