D&D General The perfect D&D edition (according to ENWORLD)

happyhermit

Adventurer
No I see threads from people who have blocked me. Feature of the phone app generally speaking.

He went on to say/imply it only happened for complaints about 4e

Am I the person you are referring to as "He"?

If I implied it, I meant to state it more clearly than that. People such as yourself make "edition warring" statements frequently ie; stating that other editions are bad/inferior/poorly designed in one way or another, derogatory comments about the systems and people who like them, etc.

Yet, when someone doesn't even attack the edition, just express their displeasure with a mechanic or concept that originated in 4e (not any other edition), you choose to cry "Edition warrior!" and pile on with unpleasant tactics that you don't have to feel bad about because they are sufficiently "other-ed" and identified as "the enemy". 4e fans for example frequently express their distaste for "LFQW", often in a very disrespectful manner, and while some people will disagree it certainly isn't a given that people will scream "Edition warrior!". Tony Vargas (who has been fairly reasonable here) has kinda sought to excuse it as a persecution complex, but I can't say I actually buy that. If a person can't control themselves or see things clearly because of something that happened years ago regarding a game, then (and I REALLY don't mean this as some sort of dig, we all have issues) they should probably try to find the root of the problem, even if it involves getting help.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Tony Vargas (who has been fairly reasonable here) has kinda sought to excuse it as a persecution complex, but I can't say I actually buy that.
Good, because I'm pretty sure I wasn't offering it for sale, and I'd hate to have to turn away your purchase order. ;)

Rather, the distinction I drew above was between discussion of preferences for, or qualities of, options - which, yeah, can get pretty negative - and the campaigning to have specific options excluded from consideration, entirely.

You can delve deeply into the issues a system or mechanic has without demanding no one anywhere under any circumstances ever be permitted access to an official version of it.
Even, in the horrific scenario of others gaining access to it, you are in no way obliged to avail yourself of the thing. In 5e, specifically, anything that might be added after the PH is necessarily optional, and it is simple and easy, as a DM, to just decline to opt into it.

Now, 'persecution' might have some applicability to the extremes of the edition war, but I don't think that's been happening in this thread. Even if it has strayed terribly from the original, really quite positive topic.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
4e fans for example frequently express their distaste for "LFQW", often in a very disrespectful manner.
Not even sure what you mean by disrespectful (pointing towards the mechanic / game structure ) .

Do we lie about what the mechanics were or what they were intended to do? We generally talk about how the results created issues in practice (in theory being lame at low level was supposed balance being overly powerful at high levels - in practice most people played games that never did the full range so the over all experience was imbalance of one form or another at all times. This was exasperated by other things in the system that is a big conversation you are not actually interested in. The sweet spot is now being mentioned again on the forums though I think most of the time Tony actually exaggerates how much it was brought back he knows 5e better than I. That was originally a range that corresponded to everyone having much the same amount to contribute in the game.

My distaste for Save or Dies is re-expressed right here in the thread was I lying about the system or saying something about people who like them? I can say something about people who like the mechanic for you "they are getting a gamblers rush out of it".

I got censored over it... in one way or another.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
The sweet spot is now being mentioned again on the forums though I think most of the time Tony actually exaggerates how much it was brought back he knows 5e better than I.
Honestly, I think 5e manages the 'sweet spot,' created in part by bringing back LFQW, better than any other edition that had one. And fairly elegantly, too, via the exp chart. You move /quickly/ through the early levels of Apprentice Tier (you can literally level each day for the first two days of your adventuring career), and into the Sweet Spot. The exp requirement to level relative to the xp you'd get for appropriate encounters then increases, more than doubling before you can leave the Tier officially. Until 11th, it stays high, then comes back down, though never to the lightning-fast pace of the first couple levels.

Contrast that with 1e, when winning free of 1st level was a major chore (and not just because you were likely to die), but you speeded up through the sweeet spot, then progression slowed to a crawl as you approached name level.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Personally I think Tony is wasting his time beating a long dead horse because a rider claiming innocence appeared. But I suppose he is enjoying himself. I just feel like the thread was taken from very much a positive thing to something else by one who decided that others arent allowed to have what they like as an EASILY removed option especially not as an official option.

And no I feel no inclination to respect that.

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The name is exorbitantly familiar from the wotc boards, believe him if you like... he is a parrot at best maybe even a sock puppet so they can get their ewar and not get banned but since the banning isnt happening anyway they can just laugh and laugh

Lanefan looks to be his ahem mentor to me.
Er...what? Mentor? Hardly.

And if it's become a bannable offense to poke holes in 4e design (or 3e design, or any other e design - they've all got great big holes in 'em) then something's gone a bit wrong around here.

happyhermit

Adventurer
You can delve deeply into the issues a system or mechanic has without demanding no one anywhere under any circumstances ever be permitted access to an official version of it.

Sure, and you can also say; "I hate this, and I think having the game is better without it." without making you a terrible person or even worse... dare I say it, someone who was on the non-4e side of the edition war (hive of wretched scum and villany we all must swear they were). You can just... not like something, and believe the game is better off without it, it really doesn't make you a bad person just because that thing came from a particular edition.

Even, in the horrific scenario of others gaining access to it, you are in no way obliged to avail yourself of the thing. In 5e, specifically, anything that might be added after the PH is necessarily optional, and it is simple and easy, as a DM, to just decline to opt into it.

Which is similar to many arguments made about 5e's initial release strategy and anti-bloat ideas "What does it matter if there is a wall of rules and settings books, just buy what you want." Truth is, it does matter. Making things more explicitly optional can help a lot, but adding more stuff is not purely a positive thing.

I can think of many thematic/flavour stuff that people would argue the game is better off without ie; Book of Erotic Fantasy, rape monsters, Book of Colonialism and Slavery, Justin Bieber's guide to Bards. I may or may not agree with them, but simply arguing that the game is better off without publishing a particular official product doesn't make them bad people (or edition warriors because Bieber was signed at the same time 4e was coming out). I can hear it already; "Oh, heavens me, how dare that dirty edition warrior compare Warlords with Bieber, off with his head!" they are just examples of things a person might not want in the game.

Now, 'persecution' might have some applicability to the extremes of the edition war, but I don't think that's been happening in this thread. Even if it has strayed terribly from the original, really quite positive topic.

You've more or less (AFAIR) argued that while 4e fans may in fact lash out at things that fans of other editions don't, it's understandable given what they have gone through and thus people shouldn't say things that might be construed by them as edition warring.

Not even sure what you mean by disrespectful (pointing towards the mechanic / game structure ) .

Do we lie about what the mechanics were or what they were intended to do? We generally talk about how the results created issues in practice (in theory being lame at low level was supposed balance being overly powerful at high levels - in practice most people played games that never did the full range so the over all experience was imbalance of one form or another at all times. This was exasperated by other things in the system that is a big conversation you are not actually interested in. The sweet spot is now being mentioned again on the forums though I think most of the time Tony actually exaggerates how much it was brought back he knows 5e better than I. That was originally a range that corresponded to everyone having much the same amount to contribute in the game.

My distaste for Save or Dies is re-expressed right here in the thread was I lying about the system or saying something about people who like them? I can say something about people who like the mechanic for you "they are getting a gamblers rush out of it".

Seriously? You don't know how the same thing can be presented respectfully or disrespectfully unless lying is involved? In a couple of posts you manage to refer to me as "He" (I guess, you never responded to my request at clarification), informed me of what conversations I was actually interested in, implied that I suggested you were lying, chose to use "lame" instead of underpowered or a million other less emotionally charged words, etc. I could give examples of how things can be said disrespectfully, but there isn't a lot of point is there?

I got censored over it... in one way or another.

Someone put you on their ignore list, many people have issues with the way that works on forums, but it doesn't correlate to what has been happening here. Judging from your posts are you even sure it was due to your views and not a personality conflict? BTW, Tony Vargas and I have both "ignored" the other at one time or another, I wasn't censoring his views (and I doubt that's what he was trying to do), I was just too annoyed (still annoyed just a wee bit less at the moment, or maybe just as annoyed but my threshold is higher, who knows :p).

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
OK I will buy that... however the e-warrior meme was often not about what you play as much as about tearing down what other people play - they didnt even read the game and frequently pushed things in direct opposition to things explicitly in the game books. And it was on many many subjects in the game.

Just like the oh I didnt read it somebody just told me about it - insert Lanefan justifying that because terminology is quirkie here
FYI I bought the 4e PH, DMG and MM on initial release - still have 'em, in fact - and read through them in hopes of finding good ideas-spells-monsters-etc. to incorporate into my own system (which is how I approach pretty much any RPG I pick up). I was rather underwhelmed, though a few nuggets did shine through. I then read through the PH and DMG again to try and figure out how the game was supposed to be played as written and was again left disappointed.

I also followed discussion here fairly closely and any edition warring I did was under the faded-but-still-proud banner of 1e, fighting against both 3e and 4e and what those editions had done to the game.

Where 4e did leave a more positive impression with me was in its points-of-light setting idea and with some of its 'official' adventure modules and set-piece encounters, some of which I've converted and used in my game to good results.

Remove ads