The PF2 alchemist

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
My initial read of the alchemical items is a bit... disappointing. I will have to give them a more thorough reading, but I didn't see anything that made me go "oh neat!"

Ryuujin

Explorer
So there doesn't seem to be a limit on the items you can create. 1 month of downtime = 300 items.

So no problem keeping up with the sorcerer as long as you get a little down time.

What do you mean? There is a limit of time and money, just like any other crafting. Unless you are talking about the crafting that uses Resonance, but that becomes inert after 24 hours.

mellored

Legend
What do you mean? There is a limit of time and money, just like any other crafting. Unless you are talking about the crafting that uses Resonance, but that becomes inert after 24 hours.
Your right. I missed the "infused" tag. Really all these little tags are a bit much.

So back to my initial comment. Alchemist need to use RP for as spell slots. Other casters get RP in addition to their spell slots.
That doesn't seem right.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Your right. I missed the "infused" tag. Really all these little tags are a bit much.

So back to my initial comment. Alchemist need to use RP for as spell slots. Other casters get RP in addition to their spell slots.
That doesn't seem right.
I think that one rp gives you a "batch" of items

Kaodi

Hero
I guess I do kind of wonder how Alchemists will fare at higher levels. On the plus side, they are the only class that can overspend on their "spells" as long as they get lucky.

mellored

Legend
I think that one rp gives you a "batch" of items
Yea.

You can use 1 RP to "prepare" 2 potions for the day.
Or 1 RP for a single instant potion that last for a turn.
And an ally can use them for 0-1 RP to use the item (only buffs seem to have a cost. Bombs and poisons do not. So poisoning rogue arrows works fine).

Which seems pretty solid as a baseline. You want to think ahead, prepare and use the alchemy yourself. But you still have flexibility if needed.
I also like that some potions take time to be effective.

My only issue is that RP is pulling double duty with magic items.
Also, a larger variety of effects (i.e. sovereign glue, oil of slipperiness). But I assume that will come later.

And the organization. You shouldn't have to look up the "bomb" keyword to know it doesn't have an RP cost when all the other items say "no cost" right in the description. But that's a general complaint.

mellored

Legend
I guess I do kind of wonder how Alchemists will fare at higher levels. On the plus side, they are the only class that can overspend on their "spells" as long as they get lucky.
They seem to scale the same as any other class. Level 15 Items have the same DC and damage as a level 15 wizard.

And there's no reason to make low-level items unless it's for utility (i.e. sea touch elixir for swim speed). They all cost 1 RP.

Ryuujin

Explorer
So someone on the Paizo forums noticed that Quick Alchemy and Advanced Alchemy specify Common Alchemical items for what you can use them for. And at no point do they add higher rarity alchemical items as available options. Even when you later add Mutagens to your Formula Book it doesn't specify that you can now use those features to craft Uncommon Alchemical items. Which means, since Mutagens are uncommon, you cannot use either of those class features to make Mutagens.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
So someone on the Paizo forums noticed that Quick Alchemy and Advanced Alchemy specify Common Alchemical items for what you can use them for. And at no point do they add higher rarity alchemical items as available options. Even when you later add Mutagens to your Formula Book it doesn't specify that you can now use those features to craft Uncommon Alchemical items. Which means, since Mutagens are uncommon, you cannot use either of those class features to make Mutagens.

Huh. I think this may not be an issue with quick alchemy - anything complex has to be prepared in advance, fine. But for Advanced alchemy... that's a problem. Is there a feat or advanced class feature that gets around this?

Remove ads