D&D 5E The Pilosus, a player race with 6 Genders for your 5th edition Sci Fi setting

Psyzhran2357

First Post
I am going to bow out of this conversation at this point. In reference to the original post, you can create any alien you want, you will just have to do some elaborate hand-waving or explaining what caused a 6 sex species to evolve or explain why a species would "genetically" modify itself to require 6 sexes for reproduction.
:):):):) eating coward, may your ignorance lead to the tuin of you and your entire bloodline. May your family be exterminated to the ninth degree for your toxic obstinance.

About the newcomers - they had three sexes. There was a third who got involved in the "mechanics" when a couple wanted to reproduce. Their inclusion change it from a form of recreation to procreation and they were honored.

I adapted this (and borrowed from other scifi) with my own runs at tri-genders by having the third gender be the one who carried the child. Again, their inclusion move the activity from recreation to procreation and so they became part of the family. In my culture, the third gender tended to remain as caregiver until the child hit puberty. Then , sometime, they may move on if they have not spawned other kiddies in that family.

But there are a lot of ways i have seen tri-genders work.

Also, Enemy Mine used a solo gender alien.

So, really, to me, this concept for alien or fantasy species well pre-dates whatever modern cultural slants folks may want to paint it as.

Especially with examples of gender swapping occuring in real world animals.

The Newcomers were a genetically engineered slave race so they are not a really good example as for all we know the requirement of a third gender was nothing more than an engineered change made to control them as slaves, ie only those worthy as good slaves were allowed to reproduce.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
:):):):) eating coward, may your ignorance lead to the tuin of you and your entire bloodline. May your family be exterminated to the ninth degree for your toxic obstinance.

Triggering the profanity filter? Personal insults? Calling for ”extermination”? This is not the kind of post we like to see here. Do not post in this thread again, and reacquaint yourself with ENWorld’s terms of service. Repeating this kind of behavior will get you booted quite quickly.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, and there's no reason to assume a reptile would evolve the ability to exhale ice.

That would seem to be a reptile malfunction.
giphy.gif

5ekyu

Hero
The Newcomers were a genetically engineered slave race so they are not a really good example as for all we know the requirement of a third gender was nothing more than an engineered change made to control them as slaves, ie only those worthy as good slaves were allowed to reproduce.
The newcomers were brought up by someone else. I just clarified their cycle when it was not correctly represented. But in the discussion of aliens etc, there are so many expressions of the humanoids as all being genetically engineered or manipulated evolution etc as to make the distinction a pretty much trivial one.

I am sure it was before Star Teek but even there in TOS the idea that the humanoid species are seeded and altered by "preservers" was in the series. It was in the original Traveller RPG which was one of the first scyfy RPGs out there.

So, not sure how an alien race not bring "naturally occurring somehow makes it an example thsts problematic gor discussion of scyfy aliens in rpg!!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
...in TOS the idea that the humanoid species are seeded and altered by "preservers" was in the series.

I don’t remember it in TOS, but seeding was definitely part of an episode in ST:TNG.

seebs

Adventurer
Nope, not playing this game. You label me for not agreeing with you. That is offensive.

I didn't seee this labelling. The substantive points remain; not all humans can be unambiguously described as "male" or "female" reproductively, even among people who successfully reproduce. Biology has a lot of messy edge cases. You can talk about two distinct sexes, but it's a simplification of the actual stuff biology does.

Humans tend fairly strongly to rough dimorphism between "provides small gametes" and "provides large gametes", and the large-gamete people tend to be the ones who have the wombs, nearly all the time. But not quite 100% of the time. In other species, it's sometimes more complicated. Are flowering plants male or female? No, they're not. Some species have something roughly mapping onto "male" and "female" but an individual organism can switch.

There is a popular tendency to start with the simplified versions of biology we use to introduce the concepts, and declare that since we have this strong instinctive sense that our species comes in two types and we care which type people are, that must actually be how it works. There's also a popular tendency among cats to assume that, since they have a strong instinctive sense that small moving things need to be pounced on, the dots from laser pointers are actually food. These assumptions are exactly equally well supported. Reality is not as simple as "all small moving things are food", and it is not as simple as "all mammals are reproductively male, or female, always one or the other, never neither or both".

Remove ads