The Point of Masterwork Armor?

DimitriX

First Post
Here is the question and answer related to masterwork armor listed in the PHB:

On page 214 of the Player’s Handbook, some of the listed armor selections have a cost of “special.” What does this mean?

These types of armors are explained on page 212 of the Player’s Handbook. They are Masterwork armors and cannot be purchased. They serve as the base armors for creating magic armors with higher enhancement bonuses. For example, if your hide armor is +4 or +5, it is Darkhide armor. You would then use the base stats for Darkhide armor. If the bonus was +6 or greater, it would be Elderhide armor.

So, here's my question: What's the point of masterwork armor? I don't see any difference from the stats of regular hide armor or darkhide or elderhide. The check penalties and speed penalties are the same. I don't remember if there's a difference in weight, but that doesn't seem to be very important. So, is there some other benefit to having elderhide armor vs just hide armor +4?

DimitriX

First Post
I know that. But what's the point? Is the stats between a hide armor +3 really different than a darkhide armor +4? Is it just a fancy name change and I should give it up? It would be really helpful if WotC would explain this better than just a few lines in a FAQ buried on their website.

Regicide

Banned
Banned
DimitriX said:
I know that. But what's the point? Is the stats between a hide armor +3 really different than a darkhide armor +4? Is it just a fancy name change and I should give it up? It would be really helpful if WotC would explain this better than just a few lines in a FAQ buried on their website.

It's a kludge, just smile and accept it and hope there is a completely different team for 5E.

dragon_eater

First Post
DimitriX said:

From what I understand Hide Armor +3 raises your AC by 6 while Darkhide Armor +4 raised your AC by 8. The upgrade from hide to darkhide adds another +1.

MeMeMeMe

First Post
DimitriX said:
So, here's my question: What's the point of masterwork armor? I don't see any difference from the stats of regular hide armor or darkhide or elderhide. The check penalties and speed penalties are the same.

Those penalties are the same, but the actual bonus to AC increases: Hide gives +3, Elderhide gives +5.

Norhg

First Post
DimitriX said:
The Masterwork armors progress quicker for heavy armor. It's a bandaid that ensures int/dex reliant classes don't progress quicker in ac than the heavy armor guys

Morandir Nailo

First Post
MeMeMeMe said:
Those penalties are the same, but the actual bonus to AC increases: Hide gives +3, Elderhide gives +5.

This. The in-game idea is that any armor can be enchanted, but higher enchantments require superior quality armor. This quality is reflected in the higher base AC. I actually like it; Masterwork armor now means better protection instead of slightly-less-crappy check penalties.

Mor

Remove ads