the Post Reply button loses content in the Quick Reply box

Janx

Hero
I make web apps for a living. trust me when I say, this is crappy UI design on the part of vBulletin.

Here's the sitch:
you're reading a post. You hit the quick reply button or quote button.
You're now typing in the Quick Reply space.

Right beneath that is the official post reply and post new thread buttons.

If you click one of those buggers, you're going to lose your post (happened to me two or three times now).

Why is this a problem? The correct button to hit was to the right side, just beneath the quick reply text box.

My eye didn't see it. Why? Because directly beneath the text box's left edge are those 2 big buttons, one of which sounds like the post my response button.

Humans scan user interfaces top to bottom, left to right. So putting a button that I don't want to press on the left edge, while the button I really need to press is on the right edge actually increases the chances I will make a mistake.

I know y'all didn't write the UI here. But if you have some wiggle room to adjust it, making all the buttons align the same might solve the problem. It'd be trickier to hide the evil buttons when a quick reply is being written (more intensive changes), as those buttons didn't do anything wrong, they're just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Remove ads