• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Potion of Healing

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Maybe. Of course, when they get HD and 100% healing like candy every night, I'm not seeing the issue. :)

The issue comes when they do not get the healing potions to supplement this. Suddenly, we are back to the 15 minute adventuring day (give or take, at least at low level).

BryonD

Hero
OK, to my thinking you are the point where the DM is responsible. There are better systems and worse systems. But this is easy to manage and trying to remove the DM from the equation does more harm than good.
It is viable.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
OK, to my thinking you are the point where the DM is responsible. There are better systems and worse systems. But this is easy to manage and trying to remove the DM from the equation does more harm than good.
It is viable.

Who said anything about removing the DM?

However, the game mechanics should flow smoothly regardless of DM.

Players have been TPKed in the Starter Set already. There are stories about this. Why? Because at low level, it's easy for the combat to get out of control. Especially if the DM plays the NPCs smart. For example, Goblins come in, damage a PC, disengage, and go back into the woods and hide, all in one round. Or, Gobilns shoot from hiding with advantage, then move away further in the woods and hide, all in one round.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/29xxin/5e_the_lost_mines_of_phandelver_is_no_joke/

Sure, the DM could hide all of his rolls and when he criticals the Cleric, he could say "Ah, the wee goblin misses.". But, there are DMs who prefer to roll out in public. Even with the DM in control, the combat can with just two or three sets of rolls, quickly get out of hand.

And do you want the DM to go *Oh shoot, these guys are going to die. Three are down and two more are a hit away and I still have four goblins. Guess I'd better have the goblins yell for them to surrender.*?

Personally, I would prefer if the default game was not quite so variable at low level and allowed there to be simple tweaks for DMs who want it to be more variable or less variable.

Healing seems to be a bit of a weakness. Not quite as bad as 1E, 2E, or 3E, but still a bit problematic.

BryonD

Hero
Who said anything about removing the DM?

However, the game mechanics should flow smoothly regardless of DM.
In the context I gave, you already answered the question.
IME mechanics that flow smoothly regardless of DM do more harm tham simply expecting a minimum quality of DM. I'm not looking to debate that, but there is going to be a difference in how we want things to flow because of it.
So I won't have anything to offer that will be helpful to your game anyway.

I think it's funny how most complaints on this thread are about how healing is too stingy, while a lot of complaints elsewhere are about how ridiculously easy it is to heal in 5e via overnight healing and such.

I guess they've done a pretty good job of compromising via making everyone equally unhappy on the healing aspect. :)

KarinsDad

Adventurer
In the context I gave, you already answered the question.
IME mechanics that flow smoothly regardless of DM do more harm tham simply expecting a minimum quality of DM. I'm not looking to debate that, but there is going to be a difference in how we want things to flow because of it.
So I won't have anything to offer that will be helpful to your game anyway.

I think you might be surprised at how much DMs learn from good debate or how much they find helpful for their games from people with different POVs.

One problem I have right now is that a few of my 4E players absolutely love Action Points because APs give them the opportunity to take charge of the encounter or to overcome adversity by a minor breaking of the normal rules (i.e. +1 standard action on a given turn in a given encounter).

I have nothing to offer them that makes up for that in 5E except Inspiration which is a bit of a poor substitute since it rarely helps a lot. Hitting 99% of the time instead of hitting 80% of the time means little compared to double damage (and other synergies) from action points (or 80% instead of 55%, or whatever). And most Inspiration is once a day per PC (if acquired) whereas APs in my 4E game are 3 to 5 times a day.

From what I can tell, I will probably have to hand out go to the well magic items (like wands) to allow them to "change the course of battle" because APs are no longer available to do that job. Some (if not all) of my players love changing the course of battle when the chips are down and the 5E PC abilities do not always allow for that.

Handing out go to the well magic items is an ok solution, but I would like to have a solution that does not always involve that.

BryonD

Hero
I think you might be surprised at how much DMs learn from good debate or how much they find helpful for their games from people with different POVs.
Actually, thanks.
I agree, but the "we need more perspectives" things seems hard to come by online. :)

One problem I have right now is that a few of my 4E players absolutely love Action Points because APs give them the opportunity to take charge of the encounter or to overcome adversity by a minor breaking of the normal rules (i.e. +1 standard action on a given turn in a given encounter).

I have nothing to offer them that makes up for that in 5E except Inspiration which is a bit of a poor substitute since it rarely helps a lot. Hitting 99% of the time instead of hitting 80% of the time means little compared to double damage (and other synergies) from action points (or 80% instead of 55%, or whatever). And most Inspiration is once a day per PC (if acquired) whereas APs in my 4E game are 3 to 5 times a day.

From what I can tell, I will probably have to hand out go to the well magic items (like wands) to allow them to "change the course of battle" because APs are no longer available to do that job. Some (if not all) of my players love changing the course of battle when the chips are down and the 5E PC abilities do not always allow for that.

Handing out go to the well magic items is an ok solution, but I would like to have a solution that does not always involve that.
Yeah, I use AP in my current PF game and same issue. I've not really thought about tackling it though. I've been running a little 5E with my wife and kids, but the current PF campaign will go until December or thereabouts. Which is good because I'll have the DMG and more overall perspective. We will try 5E and see if it takes over or just ends up being a change of pace.

HEEGZ

First Post
In combat I found myself preferring to do more damage to enemies instead of the low hp recover from a heal potion. My initial impression is that I will use them between fights to save on healing or if resting is too risky. Their most important use will be to heal a downed PC who is unconscious but not quite dead yet. This will change if there are potions of mega healing in the PHB. :cool:

Henry

Autoexreginated
What healing potions in 5th edition need is a good marketing campaign...

--------------------------
HEY!
Do you want to be HEALED?
Try POWERHEAL! Healing potions for people who need GRATUITOUS AMOUNTS OF HEALING!

With all new flavors like MISHAKALATE! It's like adding a Dragonlance Deity to pure Milk Chocolate!

What's that? You want more Pathfinder Flavor ? How about IOMEDAIRY! You can't INHERIT that much flavor otherwise!

MAGIC! ENERGY! MAGIC! ENERGY! Conjuration! Evocation! Transmutation! More -ations than YOUR CHARACTER SHEET HAS ROOM FOR!

You'll be so powerful that Elminster will be like "slooooow dooooown" and you'll be like "screw you, grandpa!" and punch him in the crotch with your STUNNING FIST!

Power looting! Power leveling! Power casting! Power fighting! Power eating! Power spell-learning! You'll have so many spells! 400 SPELLS! Cast your spells on your henchmen and make then run like QUICKLINGS!

Remove ads