The Power Struggle for Dungeons & Dragons' Soul

Satyrn

First Post
I'm sympathetic to those wanting to continue fan supporting discontinued (or suspended) campaign settings (for free naturally), I imagine it gets very frustrating waiting for some crumbs to be thrown in that direction. But directly competing with new (or established) products seems to cross a line. What puzzled me about the article was the apparent violation of the OGL via publication on DMs Guild. I thought the OGL only applied to products produced outside of the DMs Guild and that DMs Guild products had a much broader license to everything covered in the current edition published material?

I don't trust that article to get things right - it talks as though WotC runs DDBeyond rather than it just being a licenced product - so I'm not surprised you're puzzled by another of its "facts."

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I don't trust that article to get things right -

Well, and skill points, or that making 1st level 5e characters is hard...

Whats funny is that its the Beyond people that just got a slap on the wrist from Hasbro over their not-an-esports thing.

Thats a story. This, I don't think this amounts to much.

Retreater

Legend
I suppose I’ve always liked Pathfinder’s business model.
Like, their rules are hot garbage. But since Paizo makes all the mechanics free online after a month or two, people make pretty awesome “patches” or “mods” to fix the worst of it.

Giving away "hot garbage" is hardly something worth receiving.

Ymdar

Explorer
Yes, indeed. It is called D&D, where the transitory lands of the Lords of the Coast converge.
In venturing north, the pilgrims discovered the truth of the old words:
"The fire fades and the lords go without thrones."
When the link of the fire is threatened, the bell tolls, unearthing the old Lords of the Coast from their graves...

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I think the article is being WAY overdramatic in calling this a struggle for D&D's "soul." The "soul" of D&D isn't about digital tools.

Remove ads