The Queen has died

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I am not English but have always wished her and her family well.

She lived an admirable life! It’s kind of weird how when the world changes around you you realize there is no going back.

Weird feeling when favored musicians pass too…but even more with some of these big historical figures…

the Jester

Legend
It's been confirmed he's King Charles III.
Huh, I have long seen assertions that he was going to avoid his birth name as his regnant name because he wanted to avoid association with the Stuart Kings Charles, one of whom was beheaded and the other of whom was (I have read) a notorious philanderer. I guess all that must have been speculation! Charles III it is, I guess!

In any case, I extend my sympathy for all those grieving.

Dioltach

Legend
Not to be disrespectful, but I hope someone took the opportunity to test Ly Tin Wheedle's theory that monarchy is the only thing that travels faster than the speed of light.

I don't know that I can say it's a sad occasion when someone I didn't know dies at 96 (we should all be so lucky to live that long, be wealthy, and end up in the history books for not-terrible stuff), but it is a solemn occasion.

Saying "King Charles" just sounds strange, but I imagine I'll get used to it. I can remember watching the animated cartoon "The Legend of Lochnagar," based on a book he wrote, when I was a kid.

A 70-year reign, not many people will remember a time before she was on the throne.
Much like the end of WWII, there are still plenty of people who were present for it, but certainly a dwindling supply who were of an age where you have a strong memory of what it was like before, and even fewer who were adults or nearly so.

I kind of expected to outlive her, yet at the same time I didn't really expect her to die. She was one of those people who'd been remarked about seeming unaging (Prince, Patrick Stewart, Dick Clark) or long-lived (Bob Hope, George Burns, Olivia de Havilland) that when they start to look old or pass away it kinda violates your understanding of who they are or what they represent to you. She was just supposed to be there -- not always in a supernatural way, but always in a 'I had no conception of this happening' kind of way.

I am certainly, first and foremost, glad for her life and wishing kindness on those who loved her. Second to that, it just feels very strange that this completely predictable event would seem so strange.

Huh, I have long seen assertions that he was going to avoid his birth name as his regnant name because he wanted to avoid association with the Stuart Kings Charles, one of whom was beheaded and the other of whom was (I have read) a notorious philanderer. I guess all that must have been speculation! Charles III it is, I guess!

Regnal names are always a little bit odd, but when you've been widely known to the public by one name for seven decades trying to rebrand seems particularly silly.

It would be even sillier when the rebrand is to avoid associations with a couple of 17th century monarchs whose poor reputations are too entwined with a historical period few people understand for many members of the public to have a clear idea what's even wrong with the name Charles.

It might have made sense to a more educated and royalty focused class of pundits to change his name. To people who know the royal history well, are familiar with concepts like adopting a separate regnal name that have not actually been in use in recent history, and, as is the way with people steeped in history of institutions, at times have a blind spot about how the prior dynamics of those institutions are no longer really in effect, changing the name made sense. But I don't think it makes actual practical sense.

Remove ads