D&D 5E The Realm of the D&D Cartoon Show as a 5e campaign model

Klaus

First Post
Where'd you hear that from? The entire series was reissued on DVD recently, with 3e stats provided by WotC, so it seems to not be in too much of a legal limbo.

Former WotC art director once told me they can't use the D&D cartoon characters because they don't own the rights to those.

Former WotC art director once told me they can't use the D&D cartoon characters because they don't own the rights to those.

Well, that does sound like a hindrance. It could still be done though, even if it required WotC paying a little licensing fee to use the Realm.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Chaltab

Explorer
I think the whole premise is based on a faulty assumption: exposure to a thirty year old cartoon is nowhere near as great as you're guessing. I'd say exposure to the Realms through the numerous Infinity and Aurora Engine RPGs, or even to Eberron through Dungeons and Dragons Online, is much greater than the cartoon.

A solid new well-done cartoon on The Hub would be a great way to get D&D into the brainspace of kids, but that old cartoon will be lost on them, and frankly even those who have heard of it probably don't think too highly of it.

Wrathamon

Adventurer
We did this with a Super Hero game ...

But, the other players wrote down in secret what they thought each of the other players powers and hero type they would be.

Then we read them off and everyone voted on the best fit.

Then the player would take that to make a character out of it.

It was a lot of fun. I could see that being a basis of doing this.

I think the whole premise is based on a faulty assumption: exposure to a thirty year old cartoon is nowhere near as great as you're guessing.

I'm only saying that some reference to the Realm might as well be included in the DMG (along with other lesser known settings), as long as there's no great IP-related hindrance. And that a one-shot "Return to the Realm of the D&D Cartoon Show" mini-game would be a fun product for me, and perhaps for some others. I'm not saying it would be a gigantic hit.

I'd say exposure to the Realms through the numerous Infinity and Aurora Engine RPGs, or even to Eberron through Dungeons and Dragons Online, is much greater than the cartoon.

I don't know which of those memes is more widespread...you might be right. Venger, at least, is a pop culture meme.

frankly even those who have heard of it probably don't think too highly of it.

It has a certain charm. Even if it was sometimes threadbare or sappy (Uni)...for a Saturday Morning Cartoon it was pretty intense and flavorful...in a Thundarr-the-Barbarian sort of way.

Last edited:

Is there a website or wiki for the cartoon? Or a map of locations?

I think it would fun thing to add as a region to a campaign world. Maybe not even to visit, but fun to know it’s there.

Remove ads