• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Return of Tyranny of Dragons: First Impressions

Gamers don't usually ask for a revision to an existing adventure unless it's to adapt it to a new edition, yet that's exactly why Wizards of the Coast produced the new edition of Tyranny of Dragons. Fans online have been asking for an updated edition for some time. The fact that Tiamat and the Cult of the Dragon, especially one very prominent Tiamat follower, factors into the newest adventure...

Gamers don't usually ask for a revision to an existing adventure unless it's to adapt it to a new edition, yet that's exactly why Wizards of the Coast produced the new edition of Tyranny of Dragons. Fans online have been asking for an updated edition for some time. The fact that Tiamat and the Cult of the Dragon, especially one very prominent Tiamat follower, factors into the newest adventure, Baldur's Gate: Descent Into Avernus, probably helped.

DnD_TOD_AltCvr.png

Tyranny of Dragons contains a revised versions of the previously released adventure books Hoard of the Dragon Queen and Rise of Tiamat, packaged with extra material, errata and a brand new cover by Hydro74 that gorgeously displays the five heads of Tiamat. While our accompanying image shows off the cover accurately you really have to see it in person to get the full effect of the metallic inks, especially the metallic red artwork contrasted with the black matte background. Unlike Hydro74's cover for Xanathar's Guide to Everything the matte portion is not a soft touch black cover they use on limited editions but it still looks terrific..

Reissuing Tyranny of Dragons in its combined form is not an insult to the original version or, in my opinion, a cash grab. Hoard of the Dragon Queen was produced by Kobold Press, but the team had the disadvantage of creating the adventure while the rules for 5th Edition were still being finalized, and the book was released with before the 5th Edition Monster Manual was released so it was designed to work with the Basic Rules that were online at that time and monsters in the appendix. Logistically, it made sense – give players a chance to start immediately with a new adventure. I don't envy Wolfgang Baur, Steve Winter and their team putting together an epic adventure without a finalized rule set for most of the development time.

As the first official 5th Edition adventure, Tyranny of Dragons, the official name of the two adventures when taken as a whole, is as epic as they come. WotC clearly wanted to kick off with a bang, and Kobold Press delivered. New leadership in the Cult of the Dragon has shifted its focus from undead dragons to plotting to free the dragon goddess Tiamat from her prison in Avernus and acquire a hoard of gold to welcome her return to Faerun (she is greedy, and dragons love a hoard). The plot takes the players through large chunks of the continent as the Red Wizards of Thay scheme with the cult to free Tiamat and a separate conspiracy seeks to shape the world in its image. From Baldur's Gate and Waterdeep to the Sea of Moving Ice and much more, Tyranny of Dragons provides an overview of the world that worked well for new and lapsed players as well as to introduce Faerun to the new edition.

Baur and the Kobold Press team also deftly worked in not just an introduction to factions but weaved them well into the plot as information sources, support and potential thorns in the characters' side, depending upon what the players decide to do. Within the story opportunities arise for rival sides like the Harpers and Zhentarim (as well as groups like the Lords Alliance who frequently disagree with both of those) to work together against a common enemy – but that doesn't mean it will smooth sailing.

The original Hoard of the Dragon Queen and Rise of Tiamat are fan favorites for a reason. It's a rollicking good adventure whether you're completely new to D&D (and role-playing in general) or just new to 5th Edition. Starting at 1st level and taking the players to 15th level before the final confrontation in the Well of Dragons, it gives players a chance to sink their teeth into the adventure, and they can fail. The final battle isn't hopeless, but victory is far from assured.

I do wish that in revising HotDQ and RoT to unify Tyranny of Dragons that they had adopted some of the conventions the more recent D&D adventures have added. Clearly defined adventure trees, dramatis personae, pronunciation guides, etc. are small things individually but make life much easier for busy DMs.

IMG_2433.jpg

The concept art is a lovely addition. Unfortunately Tyranny of Dragons does not follow the convention of the more recent D&D adventures where the artist's name is listed on the page seam so you can tell who did what illustration. Still, in addition to the original art, ToD contains epic new images, details on the dragon masks, the cult's decorative regalia, etc. I especially like the sketches for the types of chromatic dragons with details next to them as if a zoologist was taking notes.

If you don't already own HotDQ and RoT, and are interested in the plot, purchasing Tyranny of Dragons is a no-brainer. You'll be getting a proven, popular adventure in a spiffy new edition with a gorgeous new cover and additional art.

If you do already HotDQ and RoT, purchasing Tyranny of Dragons is more of a judgment call, especially depending upon your budget. While it does incorporate the errata to fix prior mistakes and omission, that and the supplemental material for Rise of Tiamat are still available online so purchasing the new version isn't necessary. If you're a completest, then buying it is an easy choice.

Original edition or revised, Tyranny of Dragons is a terrific adventure. It definitely set a high bar for launching the 5th Edition D&D adventures and well worth a look if you haven't already played it.

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It's actually really hard to measure how popular/well received these adventures actually are. The popularity is especially hard to measure, because it's the first set of adventures for 5e. But let me give them a try;

Sales: There are a total of 12 adventure books released for D&D (not counting boxed sets).
Rise of Tiamat ranks as the 8th best-selling of the 12, Hoard ranks as the 9th. That's actually not that great, especially considering that they are the oldest and more likely to sell books over time. But it doesn't make them the worst either, especially since they are cut into two books.

Reviews: Rise of Tiamat gets a 4.5 on Amazon scores, which sounds pretty good, but needs to be put in context; there isn't a single adventure on Amazon that gets a 4.1 or lower. Still, 4.5 is pretty good; only four adventures have better (GoS, CoS, ToA, SKT). More adventures also tie RoT at 4.5 (TftYP, OotA, PotA).
Hoard is reviewed worse at a 4.3. Only DotMM ranks worse, and it is barely and "adventure" at all.

Overall, my assessment is this; in popularity, Tyranny of Dragons is pretty solid, but this may have more to do with it being "first," rather than anything else. In quality, the first half, Hoard, is solidly below average and possibly the "worst" adventure for 5e. The second half however, RoT, is solidly average quality.

Again this doesn't mean Tyranny of Dragons is bad, because we are comparing it to the other mostly well-received adventures. But comparably, for someone like me who doesn't have every adventure, it may be more valuable to pick up Storm King's Thunder or Ghosts of Saltmarsh instead of this book.

Good points, but as per my previous post, note that the Amazon list is current live sales, not historical. It is the 8th and 9th best selling D&D books this hour, not all time.

The average for reviews on the Internet is 4 out of 5 (work related knowledge). Anything that has over 4 average, generally, is doing well. Being one of the worst received 5E books is weirdly a perfectly fine place to be, apparently.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Good points, but as per my previous post, note that the Amazon list is current live sales, not historical. It is the 8th and 9th best selling D&D books this hour, not all time.

The average for reviews on the Internet is 4 out of 5 (work related knowledge). Anything that has over 4 average, generally, is doing well. Being one of the worst received 5E books is weirdly a perfectly fine place to be, apparently.

Yeah, looking at it now the sales rankings have already moved around again, indicating that the sales rankings actually don't matter at all if it's constantly shifting. You need a larger sample size which you can't get here.

As for reviews, yeah being over 4 probably means that the adventure is not bad. It's just not as good as other adventures, which is a little important unless you feel the need to own every adventure book.

As someone who has been running a weekly game for the past, and 95% of the time is using a 5e adventure book, I still don't see the pressure to buy Tyranny of Dragons. I've run Dragon Heist and am now running Tomb of Annihilation, and will probably run Curse of Strahd. After that, makes more sense to run Storm King's Thunder of Ghosts of Saltmarsh, which are rated marginally better and seem to get more love on this forum.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, looking at it now the sales rankings have already moved around again, indicating that the sales rankings actually don't matter at all if it's constantly shifting. You need a larger sample size which you can't get here.

As for reviews, yeah being over 4 probably means that the adventure is not bad. It's just not as good as other adventures, which is a little important unless you feel the need to own every adventure book.

As someone who has been running a weekly game for the past, and 95% of the time is using a 5e adventure book, I still don't see the pressure to buy Tyranny of Dragons. I've run Dragon Heist and am now running Tomb of Annihilation, and will probably run Curse of Strahd. After that, makes more sense to run Storm King's Thunder of Ghosts of Saltmarsh, which are rated marginally better and seem to get more love on this forum.

When he was on Dragon Talk for this rerelease, Perkins stated that he has found Tyranny of Dragons to be one the most lootable of the 5E releases: the chapters can be very easily disconnected and used as stand-alone adventures in a pinch.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I've run Dragon Heist and am now running Tomb of Annihilation, and will probably run Curse of Strahd. After that, makes more sense to run Storm King's Thunder of Ghosts of Saltmarsh, which are rated marginally better and seem to get more love on this forum.

Not that I feel that my opinion counts for much, but I would absolutely recommend Storm King's Thunder, if you gotta go for 'only' one of them. I had a lot of fun with Tyranny of Dragons, and I think the new book improves on it, but Storm King's Thunder is really well put together.

Ultimately, I agree with those that think HotQ is one of, if not the weakest of the 5e Adventures, (RoT is actually pretty good), but it's still better than most published adventures. (The exceptions are listed earlier in this thread, ALL of which, I agree with.)

As some have suggested, being the 'worst' of a bunch of pretty darn good adventures, is not really something to be ashamed of.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
When he was on Dragon Talk for this rerelease, Perkins stated that he has found Tyranny of Dragons to be one the most lootable of the 5E releases: the chapters can be very easily disconnected and used as stand-alone adventures in a pinch.

I agree with this, too (and Storm King's Thunder works really well as a more adventure-bases Sword Coast Guide. I've used it while running a bunch of the other adventures, to add detail to places that the other adventures gloss over, when my players go there. (I'm not a Realms expert). Heck, SKT would work really well to sandbox-up Tyranny of Dragons. Though come to think of it, that's been discussed above too, hasn't it?

Remove ads

Remove ads