D&D General The Right Balance of Dungeon Fun?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Also remember, OSR, Gygaxian dungeons made no sense. One room could have goblins and another a dragon that couldn’t even fit through the door. (Maybe a slight exaggeration). In old school, dungeons were basically made to test and challenge the players (not necessarily the pcs). That’s one reason why strange magic, traps and hazards seemed more common.
That's part of the joy of it, particularly when there does turn out to be an in-fiction explanation for how-why all those disparate elements got there.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Sounds crowded. One thing about dungeons: healing isn't readily available. You can't safely walk back to the nearest chirurgeon, and if you try to heal in place, the locals try to eat you. I wouldn't put Combat over 25%.

Side note: I find it interesting that you define the Social pillar by its relation to the Combat pillar 🤓

That happened to me. I think there's a forum feature that lets you highlight a portion of a post, and when you quote it, only that portion shows up. . . but there's also the old feature that automatically pulls quotes out of quotes.

A trap isn't very useful if it's not hidden or poorly hidden. Another doctrine is that an obstacle isn't an obstacle if it's not guarded. So if PCs want to auto-detect traps (by moving slowly), they can auto-detect the archers waiting to shoot them while they stop and disarm the trap.
I looked through the forum preferences, but couldn't find anything that covered this. Do you remember where the setting is?

Remove ads