• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Secret Fire (Legends & Labyrinths)

Hudax

First Post
Hi folks- I'm Bill Heron, one of the Development Team at Secret Fire Games, the makers of the Secret Fire RPG. It was once known as Legends & Labyrinths, but the name was changed to reflect the fact that it isn't just another D&D clone, and is non-OGL.
Rather than go into a big spiel, George has already compiled a list of what makes TSF (as it known) different here - What Makes THE SECRET FIRE? (fka LEGENDS & LABYRINTHS?) Different? Secret Fire Games?

The Secret Fire is so named because Legends & Labyrinths is trademarked by Justin Alexander, who will shortly be publishing a game under that name.

I assume you guys discovered this when you tried to publish your game as L&L and couldn't.

Half-truths and hidden insults are a sure-fire way to alienate at least one potential customer.

The Secret Fire is so named because Legends & Labyrinths is trademarked by Justin Alexander, who will shortly be publishing a game under that name.

I assume you guys discovered this when you tried to publish your game as L&L and couldn't.

Half-truths and hidden insults are a sure-fire way to alienate at least one potential customer.
I don't like to see this sort of sniping. However, I thought these were one and the same thing so maybe there has been a lack of clarity. Whatever the case, I am now looking forward to checking out both of these creations.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

mandragora

First Post
I think Hudax, whoever they are, is somewhat misinformed. As far as I'm aware, there are no half-truths or hidden insults in my post or the link I provided.
TSF is not Justin Alexander's L&L, a 3e D&D OGL. TSF is not OGL at all. Personally, I think The Secret Fire works much better as title, and distance itself as a result. I'll post something in the Industry forum later on today. Hoe that clarifies things?

Beastman

First Post
My Brain hurts, perhaps someone can explain to me how Attacks work:

Melee Attacks I do understand but others. For example the holy-man's turn undead ability says make a wisdom-attack (i guess its "prayer attack p. 172)against willpower:

doing the roll is simple 1d20 + wisdom-adjustment. and now.

do i reference the target's Willpower on the combat matrix and if i equal or exceed that number i make a damage roll from which is then subtracted the target's willpower. or

do i reference the target's Dodge on the combat matrix and if equal to or exceed that number i make a damage roll from which is then subtracted the target's willpower?

I guess its option two because p.19 says all attacks are made against dodge.

Hudax

First Post
@Herremann: I do not wish to snipe.

[MENTION=77505]mandragora[/MENTION]: I will leave it for others to determine whether I am misinformed. I will await your post on the Industry forum before commenting further, which hopefully will not be necessary.

mandragora

First Post
@Beastman , sorry about the delay. You are correct: it’s the latter. Always roll against Dodge. Then damage is rolled and Resistance is subtracted from the damage total to determine the actual amount of damage taken.
[MENTION=6680823]Hudax[/MENTION] I'll be posting an announcement on the Industry forum next week - although I'd be happy to hear privately if there's some sort of issue you have.

Last edited:

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I've asked this other places I've seen the publisher commenting, but I still haven't got an answer: Is there a reason the PDF at RPGNow is copy/paste disabled, or was it set that way unintentionally as an artifact of the way One Bookshelf uploads files to their servers?

Thanks! B-)

mandragora

First Post
I've asked this other places I've seen the publisher commenting, but I still haven't got an answer: Is there a reason the PDF at RPGNow is copy/paste disabled, or was it set that way unintentionally as an artifact of the way One Bookshelf uploads files to their servers?

Thanks! B-)
I'm not the publisher, I'm just one of the guys at TSF :)
I've flagged this up, and it tuns out it was a setting enabled by default - so, yes, like the Hand of Vecna itself (or the Mask of the Pallid King to use a Talisman from The Secret Fire!) it's a bloody artifact! :)

Remove ads