The Secret Fire (Legends & Labyrinths)

Beastman

First Post
If anyone at GenCon participates in one of the games of The Secret Fire RPG (formerly called Legends & Labyrinths) I would like to hear some details and experiences, because I'm somewhat unsure about it. Is is a modified 4e with an old school feel?

Secret Fire Games?

Any commends / reports would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
There is a character sheet at the site.

I like the Great Wheel, even if I'm not certain what it represents. Do you have a rank/level in each?
  • Life (Silver)
  • Void (Black)
  • Elements (Blue)
  • Death (Red)
  • Great Unknown (Green)

mandragora

First Post
Hi folks- I'm Bill Heron, one of the Development Team at Secret Fire Games, the makers of the Secret Fire RPG. It was once known as Legends & Labyrinths, but the name was changed to reflect the fact that it isn't just another D&D clone, and is non-OGL.
Rather than go into a big spiel, George has already compiled a list of what makes TSF (as it known) different here - What Makes THE SECRET FIRE? (fka LEGENDS & LABYRINTHS?) Different? Secret Fire Games?

nedjer

Adventurer
Hi folks- I'm Bill Heron, one of the Development Team at Secret Fire Games, the makers of the Secret Fire RPG. It was once known as Legends & Labyrinths, but the name was changed to reflect the fact that it isn't just another D&D clone, and is non-OGL.
Rather than go into a big spiel, George has already compiled a list of what makes TSF (as it known) different here - What Makes THE SECRET FIRE? (fka LEGENDS & LABYRINTHS?) Different? Secret Fire Games?

I'm guessing it's alchemical secret fire rather than the slang :)

Had a look through the page and there sure seem to be some interesting mechanics in there. However, I'm a bit lost on where the novelty lies? Is there something about the combination of mechanics which results in a particular type of gameplay?

mandragora

First Post
I'm guessing it's alchemical secret fire rather than the slang :)

Had a look through the page and there sure seem to be some interesting mechanics in there. However, I'm a bit lost on where the novelty lies? Is there something about the combination of mechanics which results in a particular type of gameplay?

I'll briefly summarise whats fun about TSF (as we call it) - the Energy Points give you a lot of fun situations and go a bit beyond "I hit for 4 points of damage".
The character wheel (and the ranks) add a bit more depth (and looks cooler as you colour them in. A fighter with several ranks in Death maybe riding a pale horse :), and the Wizard with a few ranks in The Void may not be altogether there...
Also the system allows you to use Energy Points for good roleplaying of attributes i.e. the not-too-intelligent fighter (with a score of 5 out of possible 18) presses the Big Red Button to see what it does, gaining some Energy Points he can use later.
It's not 4th Ed or OGL as such, but rather a new take with simpler system that rewards cooperative play more than "kill a monster, steal treasure" XP route.
I'll not say more as I'm hoping that those who have played TSF (or Legends & Labyrinths as it was known in playtests) will likely be able to describe it further from a players perspective. I'd want to *edit* avoid */edit* launching into a marketing spiel.

Last edited:

Beastman

First Post
Although I was at first very sceptical about it - especially after reading that blurb on the L&L-Blog about how great a game - I bought the pdf and read it once (although not every single spell, magic item, or monster entry) and I'm rather pleased. There are some great ideas in there and I hope to play it soon. Most of it is familiar but at the same time refreshingly differnt. The only thing I have to complain about is the sometimes wired writing style and (from first read trough) confusing order of things. The layout and art is not that good (but that's subjective).

All in all I think at ca. 8 Euro not that bad an investment. Looking forward to the first actual gaming session and supplement.

xmanowarx

First Post
the game is basically going for that old school approach of danger, excitement and exploration while also trying to focus on spurring people to roleplay out their unique characters. it's very similar to 1E in spirit, but characters can do some pretty amazing things by spending energy points (similar to 4E powers i guess, but not anywhere near as cumbersome and with no bookkeeping). most attributes between 3-18 have descriptor words like FEEBLE, DIM-WITTED, MIGHTY, NIMBLE, etc to give players a better idea as to what their character is like. the alignment system is also interesting...basically, everyone has 3 alignment traits (good, neutral, and evil) that are randomly generated or chosen. the idea is that EVERYONE has good, evil and neutral traits in their personality. the DOMINANT trait depends on whether you are actually good, neutral, or evil. so, you could have a courteous, alcoholic, backstabbing cleric...which trait was dominant would depend on what alignment you are. whenever you roleplay your character in a particularly interesting or innovative way the GM can award you energy points that you can spend in combat or noncombat situations...but you have to describe it to the GM and it has to be feasible. like, if you wanted to pin a foe to the wall, you could spend points to do so after you hit - but if you're using a dagger and the walls are made out of stone the GM could tell you that it would be impossible to pin him to the wall. there are great little tables and charts in the book as well - things dwarves carry on their person, odd halfling beliefs, etc.

Beastman

First Post
Here is an interview (although I have some difficulty understanding it all because George talks to fast - was he nerveous? - and sloppy for my non-english ears)

Gen Con 2011 - George Strayton talks his new Roleplaying Game The Secret Fire:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiVmVHu4Whs[/ame]

Last edited:

Remove ads