D&D General The senseless achitecture in most official products

aco175

Legend
It is weird using more natural maps since I cannot use my Dungeon Tiles with them. Plus it is unusually hard to explain the randomness of things like the cave floor not being relatively flat or the ceiling constantly changing heights.

I do find that newer maps are better than the old ones drawn to look like a skull or something, as if the players could see a cut-through of the mountain and see the layout.

Tallifer

Hero
Forsooth. The real world is much stranger and more unpredictable than people think. These ancient caves in Turkey are an awesome example of an underground maze/city.

This is the most realistic dungeon map ever made:

Gilmerton.jpg

derinkuyu001.jpg

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Above all else, a general lack of toilets on maps is what bothers me. So I am always relieved when I find a map that acknowledges the unacknowledgeable.
I do appreciate seeing space reserved on maps for toiletries, but I don’t know as it’s necessarily unrealistic to leave them out. Depends on what plumbing looks like in the setting. Has indoor plumbing been invented and is it widely accessible? Is waste even disposed of via plumbing, or is it handled with magic?

Oofta

Legend
I do appreciate seeing space reserved on maps for toiletries, but I don’t know as it’s necessarily unrealistic to leave them out. Depends on what plumbing looks like in the setting. Has indoor plumbing been invented and is it widely accessible? Is waste even disposed of via plumbing, or is it handled with magic?
There still has to be some way of getting rid of waste. An underground stream where they dump their pots, a pit somewhere, a sphere of annihilation, something. Unless your dungeon is populated by otyughs that would would wading through poo everywhere they go.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
There still has to be some way of getting rid of waste. An underground stream where they dump their pots, a pit somewhere, a sphere of annihilation, something. Unless your dungeon is populated by otyughs that would would wading through poo everywhere they go.
Yeah, for sure. Just saying, it doesn’t need to be a bathroom as we usually think of one.

Hussar

Legend
Whenever someone wants to complain about fantasy maps not making sense, I point them at this article by James Sutter about New Orleans.

MarkB

Legend
Another aspect of RPG map design that can make it run counter to real-world logic is the "anti-fortresses" concept - that a D&D dungeon is specifically designed to break up the opposition into manageable individual encounters rather than allowing the entire population to easily mutually reinforce and overwhelm the small group of adventurers. So long corridors to space things out, zig-zag turns to break line of sight, and nice, thick soundproofing walls between rooms all provide reasons why you're facing five encounters against 10 orcs instead of one encounter against 50 orcs.

Remove ads