The setting of Forgotten Realms - Location - PreVote Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

S

Ssussunriyh

If someone insists on an "evil city," might I suggest Sshamath? A non-traditional drow city run by wizards, where no deity is widely venerated. Outsiders (even surface-dwelling elves) are tolerated there, as long as they come to conduct business and don't do anything disruptive.

Personally though, I'd rather have the setting be on the surface, where creepy creatures are the exception, rather than the rule...

mikal

First Post
Nevine said:
Cormyr is a no-go, too low magic and wary of masses of foreigners.

Too low-magic? It's the most highly regimented magical nation in the Heartlands besides Shade. You just can't cast spells willy nilly without consequences, so it actually has order.

PLUS the fact it has a portal network already within it, which is quite similiar to the CRT. Low-magic.. :rolleyes:

Nevine

First Post
Mikal said:
Too low-magic? It's the most highly regimented magical nation in the Heartlands besides Shade. You just can't cast spells willy nilly without consequences, so it actually has order.

PLUS the fact it has a portal network already within it, which is quite similiar to the CRT. Low-magic.. :rolleyes:

Yes, the War Wizards are highly organized, that doesn't make them all archmages though. Just look at Caladnei's power in comparison to Vangey's as the Royal Magician.

PLUS the fact the nation is coming out of the war with the Devil Dragon which decimated the ranks of the military (in comparison to what it was before, not as in they are helpless) and the conflict with Shade.

For our purposes, it is too low magic given the average patrons (and I don't mean that insultingly) and the fact that they wouldn't likely abide Cormyr's casting laws. That, and the types of races allowed would definitely be severely limited. It is also a nation struggling to maintain its identity from foreign influence now that the barbarians are at the gate (Sembia, Zhents, Dragon Coast/West Gate/Fire Knives). The region hasn't settled down and, at Adele's request, a location needs to be stable. Cormyr's story is not yet done being told, or rather not at a point where it isn't likely to be involved in novels for a while.

Of course, since you seem to have such keen knowledge of the region you already knew that. Had you paid attention to the discussion from the Juxta prevote until now, you would know Cormyr isn't suitable.

Instead, you went and spewed out an inane spiel without offering up any suggestions. Which is the entire point of the thread. But, I guess saying how much you don't like someone elses idea (even though we aren't voting yet) has also become a part of it, so whatever. Nice contribution to the discussion, I'm sure it really helped.

Nice going, Ace. Really.

:rolleyes:

See, I can use the little smiley as well to be a complete jerk.

W

WizO_Pounamu

Let's not fall into personal arguements folks. ISRP's had enough of those in the past while to last a very long time. :(

Besides. It appears that you're both right, just in different ways. The inappropriateness/inability for the masses to use high magic doesn't make it a low magic local. But it does affect what people will and won't be able to do.

Discuss and debate the setting facts, not each other. Leave it at that?

- Pounamu

C

Cystuni

it has to be somewhere near the water. so of course Waterdeep is high on my list. it's also the place I'm most familiar with.

Nevine

First Post
Anyway..

Abbey of the Sword/Essembra: The abbey lies five miles southwest of the large town of Essembra in Battledale. Beneath the abbey is a portal to Sigil perhaps, since they are so pressed by the drow, they could convince Essembra to open a market in their town to cater to extraplanar travellers that may pop out of the portal in order to raise money. They'd need some form of help to pull this off, possibly extraplanar itself.

Thayan Enclave: Not really an actual location, so much as a hook. Perhaps some Red Wizards have decided to open a portal in one of their enclaves for some extra business. They'll take it upon themselves to keep things in order and keep the more exotic/dangerous being out of whichever city.

Enclave Locations: Athkatla, Baldur's Gate, Calaunt, Calimport, Cimbar, Hillsfar, Hlath, Hlondeth, Innarlith, Iriaebor, Marsember, Messemprar, Mulmaster, Procampur, Ravens Bluff, Saerloon, Scardale, Scornubel, Soorenar, Telflamm, Waterdeep, Westgate, and Yhaunn.​

I'm only providing contingencies for the free-for-all option, instead of destroying another locations original concept later. So, if you don't like them, don't tell me about it.

rucaro

First Post
I agree

I agree with Baldurs gate it is well known, I also have personal IC reasons but will leave them out also if you all would like I can post some of the more popular cities descrition straight from the books, if people think that will halp them to know more about the cities.

I think that waterdeep might also be a good place as well, but I also think that we need to find a place where the hordes and hordes of Undead and drow can play there role......many of the undead had seemed to find there home in Juxta so they will mosy likely come along to the new setting.

I think that Amn would be a fun setting as well though I am not totally sure of the racial tolerance (please fill me in on that if you are in the know)

Once again thank you for keeping the voting fair, and thanks for all the info on the settings so far Nevine. :D

C

Cystuni

here's a question. is there anyplace that ISN'T hostile to drow/other evilly aligned beings? after all all of the evil is weeks from being voted right out of the ONLY tavern. odds are the marketplace will be treated as a tavern, just like juxta is. people go, sit, eat... only occasionally do people actually buy things there that aren't food or drink related. when they do they have to "talk" to NPC vendors that never actually say anything since they aren't really there until someone says they are. which brings up another point,

if we don't have some actual insentive to make people play merchants, we'll still have no one that wants to buy things. people don't really LIKE talking to imaginary vendors. is there something we can do about this? are there any people that want to PLAY vendors?

eblis

First Post
THere are people who have vendors. Adele has/had a list of them. But they're not always played and when they are they're not always responded to.

As for undead, if Juxta's anything to judge by it won't matter if there's a reason for them to be there. On Juxta there was a big reason for them not to be there. They should have been noticably weakened or even kicked off the plane. But I ever saw anyone playing that, so why should it matter elsewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads