• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Shadar-kai are NEVER going to be the next drow

The Shadar-Kai always remind of that bit in "Once more with Feeling" (Buffy the Vampire the Slayer) when the demon says "Gosh, that's gloomy".

Gloomy isn't fun.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
They have some nice ingredients...

I'm currently taking some of my favorite Shadar-Ki & Drow elements to design a new race of Fey for my next homebrew campaign.

Kwalish Kid

Explorer
Wow, I love how WOTC is doing such a good job of force-feeding these guys that most of the people complaining about the race are saying things that are just plain contradictory to the meagre information on the race that has so far been made available.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Meager? They were not only in the FF, but also had an article devoted to them in Dragon Magazine some time ago.

Less than Drow, more than Flumpfh.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Shemeska said:
But with the shadar-kai I really get the sense that it was declared that they would be the next evil thing
Yeah, and that seldom works.

Anyone remember Desmondu? :\

Cheers, -- N

Derro

First Post
Shemeska said:
Taking a race that players and DMs find cool and evocative and giving us more of them is cool (something that should have happened with the absolutely awesome Ethergaunts - also from the 3e FF).

Oh, so totally.

The ethergaunts are so creepy. I've had one floating around in the background of a few of my games. The PCs have yet to run across any of these guys yet cuz they are way above the power level of most of the games I've run. Even the grunts come in at a meaty CR9 and I wouldn't want the encounter to be anything less than spectacular which would mean making it with at least two of 'em.

I'll come up with something but it's going to be a long time before my players are able to face the ethergaunt city filled with mind-wiped human cattle. Those blacks are just too horrible.

Re the shadar-kai:

I was really surprised when they showed up in a 4e preview product. I guess they must have some link to the feywild which it looks like WotC is pushing as the new Underdark. They seem awfully contrived to me. Maybe I'm a traditionalist but I like my evil fey to plain old vanilla Unseelie court types.

Last edited:

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Shadar-Kai? Ethergaunts?

Who?

The trick to how the drow and githyanki were cool had nothing to do with forcefeeding. It had everything to do with the awesome art in the original Fiend Folio.

Make something look and seem awesome, and everyone will come. Why is Lord Soth so cool? Is it because of what he does? No. It's because he's a blackened buckethead with glowing red eyes, kind of a fantasy Darth Vader.

If we want more shadar-kai, we'll demand it, like we did with githyanki and drow. You can't make us want it.

Remember the marketing lesson: design to your customer's needs, then tell them about it. Don't make something, then tell your customers you need it. That's the difference between an iPod and a Zune.

Dire Bare

Legend
Force-feeding? Really?

So now some of us cranky gamers are up in arms on articles in Dragon giving more information on existing creatures, specifically the Shadar-kai.

Sheesh. If you don't care for the gloomy fey, that's fine. Don't use them. But why crap on the efforts of the designers? Are they really forcing the shady guys on you?

More than a few posters in this thread are convinced nobody likes the Shadar-kai outside of some designers at WotC. Where do you get that info from? The vast and comprehensive consumer polls you've run? Or is it really just some squeaky wheels squeaking as they always do about something, anything, just so they have something to complain about?

I'm overreacting myself here more than a bit, but I just get so tired of all the pointless negativity that pervades nerdland.

Personally, I love the Shadar-kai and plan to use them. Am I alone? Somehow, I doubt it. But if WotC decides tomorrow to drop the Shadar-kai and run an article on some beastie I don't particularly care for, I won't be put out. I won't claim WotC is forcing the unliked beastie on me and all my fellow gamers. I'll just chalk it up to differing tastes and continue happily playing D&D and continuing to patronize WotC products. Baaahhh! I'm such a sheeple!

Remove ads