D&D 5E The Shadow in the Flame: A Workshop on Designing Dungeons, Monsters, and a Villain

Mayhawk2021

First Post
Glad you gained something from it [MENTION=87576]Scrivener of Doom[/MENTION]! Yep, mind-mapping is a neat way to get your ideas down.

Step 3: Quests & Character Hooks

What good is a dungeon/adventure is the players don't have a reason to care about it, a reason to step through that archway? Rather than do this later, I like to bear it in mind right from the start, because I think it's that important. While we as DMs do want to create a logical, well-conceived, believable setting, we don't want to do that at the expense of playability.

First, the Quest. My rule-of-thumb is to come up with more than one possible Quests; for a short adventure or side trek you can usually get away with one, but things become much more interesting when 2 or 3 quests can interact. In this case, I've outlined notes on 3 possible main quests (any, all, or none of which a DM might use); in my campaign I'll likely use all three.

[SECTION]The Quest
How do the PCs become involved with the Brotherhood of True Flame? This adventure works best if you foreshadow confronting the Brotherhood several sessions in advance (see the “Legends & Rumors” table for ideas). You may select one of these quests that best fits your group and campaign.

Black Cloud of Vengeance
From the sky comes a black cloud, destroying everything in its path with hurricane winds, fire rain, and lightning bolts. The Brotherhood of True Flame claims credit for the black cloud, claiming it is The Bonfire’s vengeance. Even the wisest of druids and seers can find no way to stop it from consuming the land, save to venture to the Brotherhood’s mythical citadel and either convince The Bonfire to have mercy or bring his rule to an abrupt end.
Further Questions. Why has The Bonfire gone to such extreme lengths for revenge? What will convince him to lay down his vendetta?

Campaign of Terror
A kingdom or city-state the PCs have allegiance to has come under attack by the Brotherhood of True Flame, blackmailing politicians, raiding the hinterlands, and making demands of its ruler. Unless the leverage the Brotherhood has over the ruler is destroyed (if blackmail information) or rescued (if a hostage), the ruler will be forced to submit to the Brotherhood’s demands.
Further Questions. Why have the Brotherhood targeted this ruler specifically? What are their demands of him or her?

Pogrom of Mages
Mages across the land are being targeted by assassins who demand they adopt the practices of the Brotherhood of True Flame on pain of death. The PCs may be hired by a ruler or archmage wishing to stop this pogrom, lose a NPC ally to the assassins, or themselves be targeted only to launch their own investigation which leads them to Krak al-Mazhar.
Further Questions. Why are the Brotherhood seeking to convert mages to their cause, killing those who refuse? And what will get them to stop?[/SECTION]

Next, Character Hooks. One of my favorite approaches to individual character hooks dates back to 1992 when David "Zeb" Cook wrote ALQ1: Golden Voyages. He outlines a Great Treasure which could be any of 10 possible treasures, depending on whether a given player fit the archetype of a Power Gamer, Warlord, Role-player, Storyteller, or Puzzle-solver. The idea probably dates back further, but in my teens I remember being captured by the idea. Turns out that's a great way to design character hooks; certainly, one could use the 12 classes or backgrounds or races with specific hooks, but what I like about Cook's approach was that it really spoke to the player's motives for playing.

I applied that idea to my adventure/dungeon using the 7 player archetypes described in the 5e DMG. I am writing in the long form, like published module, so I can demonstrate what I mean more clearly. Few of my actual DM notes are so organized.

[SECTION]Character Hooks
You can use one or more of the following character hooks to invest your players in venturing to Krak al-Mazhar. The hooks are divided according to the types of players you have in your game.

Actors
The Fiery Redemption. Either you or one of your ancestors supported the Brotherhood of True Flame in the past, and now you seek to take action to make amends for those past evils in Krak al-Mazhar. This may involve sanctifying a desecrated fire shrine, undoing something that a wicked ancestor did, or even confronting a relative who is a flame mage.
The Rescue. An ally of yours has been taken by the Brotherhood of True Flame to their citadel Krak al-Mazhar. This could be someone kidnapped like the janni Amir Heidar Qan or your beloved taken as a sacrifice. Alternately, it could involve a NPC who is in the process of being inducted into the Brotherhood; only your intervention will free them from the false promises of the Brotherhood.

Explorers
The Hidden Mystics. Though others do not believe, you are convinced that remnants of the original mystics of Krak al-Mazhar survive. These mystics, known as The Fire Most Pure, were believed to commune with a divine flame, the secrets of which have been lost for a millenia. Who knows what wonders could be found in those ruins beneath the scorching sands?
The Portal. You’ve been tasked with finding a portal or gate into Krak al-Mazhar while on the inside. This may be to let a crusading army follow up on your adventure and purge the Brotherhood of True Flame, or it may be to lead a exodus of the Brotherhood’s slaves to safety. Alternately, you may be tasked with destroying a portal to the Plane of Fire by an efreeti noble who does not care for the inroads the Brotherhood makes in the City of Brass.

Instigators
The Death Order. One of your wild endeavors drew the attention of the Brotherhood of True Flame’s holy slayers. Now they will not rest until you are dead, your ashes scattered, and your fields salted. You need to find a way to keep these assassins from continuing to come after you, and braving the heart of their lair in Krak al-Mazhar may be the start.
The Revenge. The Brotherhood of True Flame hurt you or your loved ones in its relentless quest for power, and you’re out to make them pay. All of them. While the caldera that Krak al-Mazhar lies within is believed to be an extinct volcano, tales you’ve heard suggest it may still burn. A fiery doom would be poetic justice for the flame mages, wouldn’t it?

Power Gamers
The Golden Mirror. You’ve learned of a magical mirror of vast power kept within Krak al-Mazhar. The mirror allows one to see anwyhere, teleport anywhere, gaze into the hearts of men, and more. Depriving the Brotherhood of such a mighty weapon would strike a grievous blow to their operations. All the better if the golden mirror ended up gracing the walls of your own stronghold!
The Library. It is said that one does not join the Brotherhood of True Flame without researching a new fire spell. Their arcane library at Krak al-Mazhar must be overflowing with secret spells forbidden to outsider mages. That knowledge will be yours, and if you can avoid whatever heinous price attached to it all the better.

Slayers
The Righteous Kill. The temple of your chosen deity has enlisted your aid to eliminate a specific enemy within Krak al-Mazhar. This could be the erinyes #, the corrupted jann Majnun, or even The Bonfire himself. A more extreme example would be a call to eradicate the entire enclave by any means necessary.
The Tunnels. Deep within the cooled lava formations of Krak al-Mazhar is a network of tunnels overflowing with monsters. Whether you intend to sneak in via these tunnels, smuggle slaves or treasure out through them, or use the monsters against the Brotherhood, you’ll need to hack your way through monstrosities beneath the wastes.

Thinkers
The Mystery. ?
The Spy Games. An informant has given you enough information to find Krak al-Mazhar, but the greater task ahead of you is dismantling a network of flame mages spanning across the land. You’ll need to sow discord among the mages, gather evidence of their conspiracies, break any leverage they have over compelled agents, and find a way to disrupt their operations once and for all.

Storytellers
The Curse. Afflicted with a curse placed upon you by one of the elite flame mages, you’ve learned that simply killing the mage will not end the curse. Instead, you must venture to Krak al-Mazhar and either negotiate with them or devise some other means of breaking the curse. Discuss the nature of the curse with your DM.
The Molten Throne. The Brotherhood of True Flame has fallen to corruption and tyranny, but it could be so much more. You aspire to depose The Bonfire and take his mantle as your own, recreating the Brotherhood in your own image.
[/SECTION]
I am running Endgame from ALQ3 A Dozen and One Adventures adapted for my ancient Mesopotamia campaign using Pathfinder. It is the season finale, and although I added a lot of crazy things to defend Krak al-Niraan, I am planning for the big epilog suggested by the author, that is, massive executions of all the PCs' friends and family and destruction of their base of operations in the City of Tyre. Which is going to really piss off my players and make them want to find the leaders of the Brotherhood of the True Flame. Eventually, they will come to Krak al-Mazhar at the end of Season 2. I envision my adventure to take place at around Level 22 or so, but I would really like to read and run your adventure. Where is it published?

Quickleaf

Legend
I am running Endgame from ALQ3 A Dozen and One Adventures adapted for my ancient Mesopotamia campaign using Pathfinder. It is the season finale, and although I added a lot of crazy things to defend Krak al-Niraan, I am planning for the big epilog suggested by the author, that is, massive executions of all the PCs' friends and family and destruction of their base of operations in the City of Tyre. Which is going to really piss off my players and make them want to find the leaders of the Brotherhood of the True Flame. Eventually, they will come to Krak al-Mazhar at the end of Season 2. I envision my adventure to take place at around Level 22 or so, but I would really like to read and run your adventure. Where is it published?
Hi Mayhawk, thanks for inquiring. This is a personal project. It's not something I've published. I used it as an example to illustrate approach and process for other DMs designing their own large dungeons.

Still very much a work in progress. Some changes in my life circumstances, covid, and architecture school have restricted the amount of time I can invest in my writing hobby.

I do have much more than is shared here. I don't know how good it is. But feel free to PM me if you'd like and we can discuss further how to make it available to you.

Though, keep in mind it's written for 15th-16th level PCs, so you might have a lot of revisions to make for a beyond epic party. And I have very little experience DMing or playing over 14th level, so there's some playtesting that needs to happen I haven't been able to make happen yet.

Remove ads