D&D 5E The Shadow Sorcery! Is It the most powerful class at high levels?

Hohige

Explorer
0b3cef085f7fc72a058521dd1b3e9ffa.jpg

Umbral form​

"Umbral Form
Starting at 18th level, you can spend 6 sorcery points as a bonus action to transform yourself into a shadowy form. In this form, you have resistance to all damage except force and radiant damage, and you can move through other creatures and objects as if they were difficult terrain. You take 5 force damage if you end your turn inside an object.

You remain in this form for 1 minute. It ends early if you are incapacitated, if you die, or if you dismiss it as a bonus action."

Invulnerability: This means that you can cast a spell and enter an object in the same turn to get the benefit of full cover.
You may still have resistance against radiant damage being aasimar.
In practice, you are invulnerable.

I back to the fight every turn: You can wish for duplicate Regenerate spell that means that you can't be defeated by damage for 1 hour. (Regaining 1 hp per turn, you back to fight each turn even if you are reduced to 0 hp)

Long range and reliable damage: Distant spell for Insect Plague for 620ft range that can be insane combo with Aasimar Racials.
Empowered 5d10 + extra damage equal your level that ignore cover as your most reliable damage spell.

Spellcasting Superiority: Subtle Counterspell (Always win a counterspell battle) and Distant Spell for long range spell. You are a beast on spellcaster battle.

Incredible mobility: Subtle/Distant Dimension Door and Shadow Walk for insanity "Surprise Mother ****er, I'm here!"

a7c856d0d893268102d0eb6994737a04.jpg

I'm here, mother ****er!​

It's just insane effective.
You can also apply twin spell on Simulacrum (Via wish) for still more power.

THE BLACK HOLE...The Shadows will devour you!
d9e68464541f042e73a05465d6b2230c.jpg

Step 1) The Shadow Lord and His simulacrum with Darkness Spell and Umbral form moving through objects.
It's literally total cover and block line sight (Countering hard "you must see the creature" spells and effects).

Your turn:

Step 2) Move out of the enemy's spell range. Keep always out of true sight spell's range (120ft).

The Shadow Lord casts Distant Empowered Dark Star for 300ft range (Casting via Subtle Wish). The enemies can't cast spells with verbal component and It's blind and deaf.

The Simulacrum casts Distant Reverse Gravity for 200ft range. The enemy can't move.
The enemies are imprisoned on reverse gravity, blind, deaf and can't cast spells with verbal component.
Also, taking Empowered 8d10 force damage +20 (Aasimar Ratials) per turn automatically.

Step 3) Move inside walls again to get total cover again.

Highlights:
It can literally desintegrate all party in a single turn.
It can't be countered... How?
Only sorcerer's subtle spell can avoid it.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I’m probably over looking something, but dark star isn’t a sorcerer class spell list. How can he cast it? That’s the part I might be overlooking.

You've got some cool combos there. I don't think it's particularly more invulnerable then a variety of other builds, and, you know, at ultra high levels everyone is pretty damned good at what they do. Your sales pitch seems to mostly boil down to 1) Shadow Sorcerers are really good at hiding and resisting damage, 2) Sorcerers are really good at avoiding counterspells, and 3) Wish is a really powerful spell.

But a Sorcerer damned well should be particularly godlike in tier four play, since they were the weakest member of their party through all of tier 1 and couldn't hold their own through a long adventuring day until a ways into tier 2 (mileage will vary). They've payed their dues.

You can't Twin Simulacrum. Twin requires targeting a creature. The Simulacrum is not a creature until you have cast the spell. And, of course, if we are going to cheese simulacra then the equivalently leveled Wizard (and potentially the Bard) have already chain created infinite simulacra at level 17. If that's not allowed (ie: if your DM is sane) then, at the very least these folk can create a simulacrum without Wish which still has its 9th level slot.

Azuresun

Adventurer
"Umbral Form
Starting at 18th level, you can spend 6 sorcery points as a bonus action to transform yourself into a shadowy form. In this form, you have resistance to all damage except force and radiant damage, and you can move through other creatures and objects as if they were difficult terrain. You take 5 force damage if you end your turn inside an object.

You remain in this form for 1 minute. It ends early if you are incapacitated, if you die, or if you dismiss it as a bonus action."

Invulnerability: This means that you can cast a spell and enter an object in the same turn to get the benefit of full cover.
You may still have resistance against radiant damage being aasimar.
In practice, you are invulnerable.

"I step out the wall and cast--"

"Hold on, let's resolve all the readied attacks against you first."

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Any character that does not have an insanely effective build by 18th level probably has some pretty serious issues that rhyme with Leastfaster.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases