The Shadowcaster v2.2

Siirvos

First Post
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B19uU8nZ0XVVV1RCeHVrS0pFbFE/view?usp=sharing

13 pages of homebrew content, a new class, two archetypes and spell abilities. Similar to the Unearthed Arcana's Mystic, the Shadowcaster, or shadow adept, is a user of the shadow weave and is sure to throw off spellcasters with their unique brand of magic!

Updated base proficiencies to be in line with the bard and warlock, edited the archetypes for balance and clarity, as well as some spell abilities for simplicity.

Feedback is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Pauln6

Hero
Nice job. My PC has been a shadow mage since 2e and I've never really had the chance to play her as a proper shadow mage in 20+ years. We moved on to 4e before I could play her more than once in 3e and in 4e she was built as a hybrid assassin/warlock.

I love the flavour and attention to the 3e detail. I'm the worst person to ask whether or not it's balanced as the mathematics of the game is not my strong suit and I'm not a huge fan of classes with points pools, so I was thinking of being less ambitious and just bolting it on to the warlock chassis.

It's nice to see shadowy versions of the classic spells though.

Siirvos

First Post
I had actually tried using the warlock chassis originally, but was disappointed with its lackluster spellcasting ability and cantrip spam. You *can* change the spellcasting ability to charisma to keep it in line with the 3e version, just be mindful of the multiclassing shenanigans possible.

As for point pools... I mean, I can share a previous iteration of the class that doesn't use point pools, but it is not at all balanced and was more of a testbed for the class concept in transition from its starting point. It would require some work to bring it up to speed.

Pauln6

Hero
Yes, I'm thinking of purely selfish reasons - I can see my DM letting me have a custom warlock but not an entire custom class :p I suppose your mysteries could be purchased as invocations with level-based requirements but you are probably right that it could get tricky to balance. Many of the invocations that replicate wizard spells use up the warlock's existing spell slots, unless they are utility spells.

Remove ads