• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Shadowcaster -weak?

The shadowcaster is weak

• Strongly agree

Votes: 27 14.8%
  • Agree

Votes: 66 36.1%
  • In the middle/don't know

Votes: 73 39.9%
  • Disagree

Votes: 12 6.6%
  • Strongly disagree

Votes: 5 2.7%

WarlockLord

First Post
I think the shadowcaster could use a combat fundamental that's a little better than arrow of dusk. I recall one of the reasons my shadowcaster stunck was the fact that he was unable to fight undead. Also, the touch of twilight path should be ranged, not requiring the loss of every low-level feat slot to achieve this. One of the things my spellcasters have always shunned is touch attacks, as I fear they'd go like this:

Wizard: Ha ha ha! Eat shocking grasp!

Thokk the Orc: Wuss! Thokk still standing! Thokk SMASH!!!!

Wizard: AAAAH! NOOO!

(Wizard's severed head hits floor).

The class does seem to be too rigid. It has less spells known than a sorceror, and less high-level casts than a wizard. The paths seem to lock you down into dead weight (i.e. taking the almost utterly useless congress of shadows to get flicker), and none of the 1st-2nd level mysteries are really any good at higher levels, except maybe thoughts of shadow. Also, the split ability scores are incredibly annoying, and, I find at low levels, the class lacks offensive punch. All the defense in the world means nothing if you can't retaliate.

Thomas Percy

First Post
I have a question about Warp Spell mystery.
There is unclear if enemy spellcaster MUST roll for Will saving throw or not againt this mystery.
If yes, it's very weak, because I must win opposed caster level check first and then beat enemy spellcaster Will save (and they have powerful Will saves).
In the mystery decsription there is "Will negates; see text" passage and there in no a single word about saves in the text below.
In the statblocks of sample NPCs there is a save DC included for Thanielle, and there is no save DC for the same mystery for Crestian.
Eratta doesn't help me.

Thanks for help.

Ranes

Adventurer
It is unclear, isn't it. Honestly, I think the Will save reference (and Thanielle's save DC) are mistakes, probably leftover from an earlier version of the mystery. It doesn't seem right that you have to beat a caster level check and a save.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
IMHO, after statting up a few NPC ("bad guy") Shadowcasters, I'm probably going to re-write the whole system. It's full of nice ideas, but the power level is off. This is particularly bad for low-level minions, but it's even noticable for CR 15 BBEGs, who don't have access to the sort of utility lair-set-up stuff that you really need to be a cool BBEG.

-- N

Wraith Form

Explorer
Mouseferatu/Ari's been suspiciously quiet lately. I've been watching to see when he'll weigh in again, and.....let's just say he's pulling a Keyzer Sose.

Nifft, will you be posting your re-work in this thread?

Heh. Sorry. Been out of town/busy for a few days. I'm also discussing the details of the shadowcaster with some other folk in the industry.

I'll post here in a few days with a few additional thoughts.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads