• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Shadowcaster -weak?

The shadowcaster is weak

• Strongly agree

Votes: 27 14.8%
  • Agree

Votes: 66 36.1%
  • In the middle/don't know

Votes: 73 39.9%
  • Disagree

Votes: 12 6.6%
  • Strongly disagree

Votes: 5 2.7%

FireDrakeK

First Post
the problem with all of these classes is not that you can't make them work. hell with some creativity and the right feats you can make anything work. when properly focused any of these classes will work. the problem is that a class should not REQUIRE being that focused or certain feats or magic items in order to be able to function. the real problem here is that although the shadowcaster has incredible flavor. i don't see how a mage couldn't just do everything a shadowcaster does just as well if not better.

love the class. love the flavor. dislike feeling like i have to bend myself over backwards just to keep up with everyone else.

WarlockLord

First Post
So I have noticed.

BTW, if anyone wants to play a decent shadowcaster but is forced to use RAW, focus on a combo of:
Getting as much damage out of elements such as Rapid Shot, Maximize Mystery, Empower Mystery, Boots of Speed +Umbral Touch. Requires a lot of focus, but will usually slow your enemies while dealing a lot of damge
In addition to this, take a lot of battlefield control mysteries.

It works. The only problem is, a mage can do this stuff without the focus. Ouch.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
I'm currently playing an 8th level Grey Elf Shadowcaster in a Material Plane Greyhawk campaign. Some of my thoughts:

In terms of roleplaying a Shadowcaster though, I think it's the bees knees.

I can't agree with this more. They're fun to play and they cover areas largely ignored by the PHB wizard/sorcerer.

I have reservations for the class in terms of utility though.

Again, I can't agree with this more. So few spells and, unlike a sorcerer, you can't trade them out. For flavor I understand why its done, but it would be nice to swap out a low level spell that, through play, I have found useless for a spell that I constantly buy wands for.

Also, compare Eldrich Blast of a Warlock with Killing Shadows of a Shadowcaster. At first level, a warlock gets unlimited uses of this spell (provided they take it). A shadowcaster gets 1 use per day of Killing Shadows at 5th level. No comparison. Mind you, at 8 level I have an orb of shadows that I dedicate for using with Killing Shadows, so I have 3 uses per day of it. Now compare that with all the uses of Magic Missile, shocking grasp, summon monster, fireball, lightning bolt, and shout that a wizard/sorcerer gets. No Comparison.

My group has 4 other players: a Vampire (8 monsterous levels), a psion, a cleric, and a monk. Compare to the vampire, the shadowcaster is nowhere near as sneaky, and is nowhere near as tough. Compare to a psion (same holds true for a sorcerer), they can waste their total power points (spells per day) on a single spell if they so need to.

In short, its fun to play something this different and unique, but it just doesn't hold is own (at least by 8th level).

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
FireDrakeK said:
i don't see how a mage couldn't just do everything a shadowcaster does just as well if not better.
Shadowcaster has been allowed in the RPGA's Living Greyhawk campaign for a while now for a limited number of players. There have been a significant number of complaints that some of its abilities are broken. One mystery that has received the most complaints, flicker. An obnoxiously powerful mystery in a game where tactics and strategy on the table map are utmost and combats can be over in under 3 rounds.

FireDrakeK

First Post
yes but there are tons and tons of mage abilities that are broken two. the issue isn't that you can't make it work or even break it. the issue is that it takes a skilled player to utilize it properly. i'm not saying it's unplayable, i'm saying it's poorly balanced. too powerful here, not powerful enough over here. it's lopsided. mind you most classes area little lopsided, but they are at-least playable by anyone at any level without the need to pick up one thing or another to work.

master arminas

First Post
The only real change that I have made to the Shadowcaster in the game that I run is the following:

At 1st, 3rd, and every odd level thereafter, the Shadowcaster can select one Path of his choice. He knows all Mysteries of that path (though he may not yet be able to use the higher level Mysteries). The Shadowcaster must know at least as many Apprentice level Paths as he knows Initiate level Paths. The Shadowcaster must know at least as many Initiate level Paths as he knows Master leve Paths. The Shadowcaster does NOT receive bonus feats for Paths completed. Instead, the Shadowcaster gains one bonus feat at levels 5, 10, 15, and 20.

For example, at 11th level, a Shadowcaster will have learned six Paths (and all of the Mysteries on those paths). He can have learned six Apprentice level Paths, five Apprentice and one Initiate, four Apprentice and two Initiate, or three Apprentice and three Initiate. If he has learned 3 and 3, then at 13th level, he could learn a new Apprentice level Path or a Master level Path, but could not learn a new Initiate level Path. If he learns a Master level Path, then he currently only has access to the 7th level Mystery, even though he knows the 8th and 9th level (he gains access to those mysteries at 15th and 17th level).

Anyway, this is the fix that my group uses. It does increase the power of the shadowcaster by a pretty fair amount, so it may not be good for all groups.

Arminas tar Valantil
Grand Master of the Order of the Ebon Rose

RogueHunter

First Post
Shadow caster

I Have a shadowcaster-ranger. In my opinion, the shadowcaster would SUCK alone but when multiclassing it takes on a whole new level. I can use my shadowcaster abilities to assist my ranger ones. For example, the fundemental Umbral Hand, combined with my normal shot gives me a more accurate arrow shot. Call me inventive or not playing the game how it should be or w/e. My group plays more creativly and if you can think out of the box some shadow caster works wonders with other classes (rogue would also work really well because of the teleport abilities)

Another interesting prestigue class, not an offical one but if you look on the D&Dwiki, its called Ebon Bowman, Im pretty sure it was made by one of the site managers, its still under construction but it looks pretty decent, Very similar to the archane archer :)

Remove ads