The Six Cultures of Gaming

As someone fairly new to Story Now, I'd love more discussion. We've been dabbling, but I know that I don't always feel confident about running Story Now, so will fall back on more comfortable systems, which is fine, but I do want to stretch my wings.

The article Campbell posted was interesting. I think I have a tendency to fall into author mode, which I'm working on shaking, as I really want to learn Story Now techniques.

Do you have any questions about what I just wrote or generally?

I would have invited you to a recent game if I’d known you were just starting out and trying to get things sorted.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Not sure what you’re saying here! This is phrased like a self-invite to other people’s games but I’m confident you don’t mean that!
Hmm. Yup, that's a grammar failure right there. Yes sir. Expensive to fix. I'll order some parts....

TheSword

Legend
I did like how non-judgemental the author was. He tried to describe the origins and tendencies of the groups instead of say which was better or worse.

In fact tendencies may be a better word than Cultures. It’s less definitive. Though in the authors defense, I think we are all getting used to the idea that cultures have blurred boundaries.

I'm mostly on board with this post except for one thing:

I've never seen Nordic Larp culture discussed or in play outside of, well, Nordic LARP (capitalization is important here). I am not aware of there being an analogous playstyle in tabletop roleplaying. Could somebody give me more details on Nordic Ladp as applied to TTRPGs, and examples of games tailored to the needs and goals of this subculfure?

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
The upthread conversation about 'culture(s)' that imply that word can ever be used to describe something that a person exclusively belongs to is bizarre. Most people (all people, really) are part of and influenced by more than one culture definitionally, and the cultures themselves delineate into sub categories. The author was spot on in their usage of the word, the only word more appropriate could have been 'movement' in the sense of 'artistic movement' or 'social movement' but culture is completely accurate in its usage here.

Remove ads