WOIN The Spartan Gambit: A Quick Look At The USF Copernicus

From the upcoming SolSpace: The Spartan Gambit (think "Die Hard on a starship"), here's a quick look at the starship in question. SolSpace: The Spartan Gambit is an adventure and sourcebook coming soon to the WOIN roleplaying game line.

From the upcoming SolSpace: The Spartan Gambit (think "Die Hard on a starship"), here's a quick look at the starship in question. SolSpace: The Spartan Gambit is an adventure and sourcebook coming soon to the WOIN roleplaying game line.

Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 4.32.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 4.32.33 PM.png

stadi

Explorer
Is this a one-shot? Or a campaign? Or simply a setting book without an adventure?

It sounds like Star Trek, but without 2d20, so I'm really interested.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This is similar to the other books in the WOIN W-series (Xenomorphs: The Fall of Somerset Landing; Dark Decade: From Dust To Dawn; Spirits of Manhattan; and Santiago: A Myth of the Far Future) in that it's half a setting book and half an adventure. In this case, the adventure is called The Spartan Gambit, and is best described as Die Hard on a starship.

doghead

thotd
USF Copernicus: Transporter? [paraphrased] said:
Destroying a person and recreating an identical copy of them elsewhere is considered to be the same as killing the person and creating an clone of them.

Which raised an interesting question for me: if you were on a ship about to be destroyed, and you had no other means of escape, would you use the Transporter?

You:1 is going to die regardless. If you chose to use the transporter, you:1 would know that something of you survives, in a manner of speaking. You:2 would, to all intentional purposes, feel that they are you, and that they had survived.

I am pretty sure that I would be tempted to use the Transporter in this situation. Although it kind of depends on the answer to the next question.

If you:1 decide to use the transporter, what would be the legal status of you:2?

thotd

PS: Really nice illustration BTW. Actually, really nice presentation overall.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You:1 is going to die regardless. If you chose to use the transporter, you:1 would know that something of you survives, in a manner of speaking. You:2 would, to all intentional purposes, feel that they are you, and that they had survived.
I don't think I'd care what my identical clone feels. Doesn't help me. I'm dead! :)

doghead

thotd
I don't think I'd care what my identical clone feels. Doesn't help me. I'm dead! :)

I know. Agreed.

Which is why I was surprised to find I think I would use it in this situation. Maybe it is tied to that same impulse that leads us to have children - the desire to see something of ourselves survive us into the future.

thotd

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This is coming soon - a one week Quickstarter for Solspace: The Spartan Gambit! Also includes other N.E.W. and SolSpace sourcebooks for those who don't have them yet. Sign up to get notified on launch!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This is a first draft of a trailer for our upcoming Quickstarter. SolSpace: The Spartan Gambit is best described as "Die Hard.... on a spaceship!"

Remove ads

Remove ads