D&D 4E The still "complete" list of official 4E products, now with 2011!

I'm a DM, I buy the PC books mainly to have a book resource for my IRL group. There is nothing better for "selling" a class or concept to a player than a nice book with art and such.

For me though, there is nothing to look forward to and the concern my beloved awesome hardcover books will be replaced by shorter, crappier softcovers. All I want is some indication of a feywild and shadowfell hardcover and such forth.

It's also disappointing because it leaves nothing for me to be excited about. While it takes me 2-3 weeks longer to get books due to travel time, at the end or beginning of every month there is always new awesome DnD books waiting for me at the bookstore. Until after march next year I just see nothing for me except the monster vault and rules compendium.

I feel I have the right to be emo.
The potential lack of art in the Essentials/Player's Option series is a good point, although it's hard to say for certain what the art will be like in those books. Personally, I think they've got more interesting cover art already -- I still like 4E's covers much better than 3E's "faux-tome" covers, but the "two people standing around"-thing has regardless gotten old in a hurry. Additionally, Klaus (an artist) is vaguely hinting about some involvement with the "Heroes of Shadow" book; depending on we read into that, maybe we should expect some nice art in that book too.

As for the Feywild/Shadowfell book(s), I think it's just a matter of time before it gets some treatment, assuming that the last two "plane" books sold well.

Aegeri

First Post
I wasn't really mentioning that much on art, it's just why I buy them but the Dragonborn and Tiefling books released recently have a pretty decent smattering of art in them for their size/price.

I'm just concerned about losing the books I get the most value out of in 4E currently - their more fluff and description orientated books aimed at DMs.

The WotC online catalog has been updated up to Feb 2011.

Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Product Catalog

It even has a mockup cover for the Nentir Vale Gazetteer.

Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Product (Gazetteer: The Nentir Vale)

It lists the Nentir Vale book as being a part of the "Essential D&D Game Supplement" series. (Dunno if this is a typo).
January looks pretty dull. I realise the post-Christmas season is usually a consumer deadzone, but Dungeon Tiles? That seems like a token release just so that they don't have a month that's totally empty.

As for that Nentir Vale Gazetteer cover, why didn't they use, you know, a map? I was hoping that we'd be done with this "person(s) standing around looking dangerous" cover style after Essentials.

Last edited:

Aegeri

First Post
Yeah, January does look extremely lame.

Actually I'm not that "enthused" with essentials at all and I just don't have anything to look forward to DnD wise for months. I get Dark Sun and then absolutely nothing almost until next year.

:(

ggroy

First Post
Yeah, January does look extremely lame.

Actually I'm not that "enthused" with essentials at all and I just don't have anything to look forward to DnD wise for months. I get Dark Sun and then absolutely nothing almost until next year.

:(

For me, the Essentials titles will largely be "wait and see". I'm not going to be preordering any of them.

The only Essentials titles I may have a remote interest in, would be the "Player Essentials: Heroes of ...." books. If they're just a straight reprint of older stuff with errata, then I'll just take a pass on them. If they introduce a lot more new stuff (ie. builds, powers, etc ...), then I may take a second look.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
It even has a mockup cover for the Nentir Vale Gazetteer.

Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Product (Gazetteer: The Nentir Vale)

It lists the Nentir Vale book as being a part of the "Essential D&D Game Supplement" series. (Dunno if this is a typo).

The "essentials" bit is not confirmed in the rest of the entry, and the cover is a different format. Though it does confirm that this is another trade paperback.

I thought this was interesting:

"This paperback book is the first in a new series of game supplements spotlighting specific regions of the D&D core world, with information that Dungeon Masters can use to run adventures and campaigns set in the region, plus secrets and story hooks for players." (bold added)

This has a few implications.

ggroy

First Post
The "essentials" bit is not confirmed in the rest of the entry, and the cover is a different format. Though it does confirm that this is another trade paperback.

At this point, the cover image may very well be just a mock up. In principle it can change any time between now and the release date.

For example, if the 4E Essentials product line turns out to be half decent selling, I wouldn't be surprised if they end up changing the cover format of the Nentir Vale book to match that of the other 4E Essentials books.

"This paperback book is the first in a new series of game supplements spotlighting specific regions of the D&D core world, with information that Dungeon Masters can use to run adventures and campaigns set in the region, plus secrets and story hooks for players." (bold added)

If this is the case, Nentir Vale (and its surrounding areas) may possibly be the 2011 setting.

ggroy

First Post
The "essentials" bit is not confirmed in the rest of the entry, and the cover is a different format.

What I was referring to was the string:

"Series: Essential D&D Game Supplement"

just underneath the "Release Date: February 15, 2011" in the "Item Details" section.

This string of "Series: Essential D&D Game Supplement" is also written in the "Item Details" sections of other 4E Essentials titles such as:

Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Product (Player Essentials: Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms)

Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Product (Monster Vault)

Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Product (Dungeon Master's Kit)

Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Product (Player Essentials: Heroes of the Fallen Lands)

What I was getting at, was whether this string "Series: Essential D&D Game Supplement" was a typo or misprint on the Nentir Vale book page. On the pages of older 4E D&D supplement books, the string was "Series: D&D Rules Supplement".

fanboy2000

Adventurer

One of them being that, 10 years from now, someone, somewhere, is going to be complaining that Wizards doesn't support "old school" settings (or whatever phrase replaces replaces "old school") like the Nentir Vale anymore. 4e grognards will loudly complain how their favorite setting has gotten the shaft.

Remove ads