[The Strain, The 100] Worth Seeing?

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
After drifting over more and more to comedy for a few years a large German network starts these two shows this summer. The trailers don't tell me whether one or both are worth my time recording and watching them.

What's your assessment of these shows?

Ryujin

Legend
I watched the first few episodes of "The Strain" and, to be honest, found it to be needlessly brutal. It just didn't engage me. The actors were fine and the writing was above average, for television fare. It's just not my thing. Plenty of my friends really enjoy it and I would suggest taking their recommendation over mine. It's worth watching, at least to see if the story will pull you in as it didn't me.

"The 100" is something that I've watched more than a few episodes of, though it's rather predictable. As with most of the shows from The CW (network) it involves improbably pretty people; in this people in their late teens, who are somehow more wise than their elders. At least some of them. If the idea of "Lord of the Flies" as played out by supermodels is the sort of thing that intrigues you, you might enjoy it. Where I really wanted to like "The Strain" and just couldn't stick with it, "The 100" is the sort of train wreck that I have difficulty looking away from.

I really enjoyed The Strain...then again, I do tend to enjoy the dark, brooding stories. Their idea towards vampirism is very interesting, and the series tends to follow the books fairly closely.

Haven't watched The 100, so no opinion on that show from me.

Crothian

First Post
I never did watch either series but I did read the books. The 100 was a better book then the Strain. The Strain read like it was written for TV so it might be a better medium for it.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Haven't watched Strain.

I did watch the first episode of The 100, and rather didn't like it. The premise seemed interesting, and I'm a big science fiction fan. But this had people doing inexplicably stupid things. Really stupid things. I just couldn't stand it.

Thx!

TomB

Ryujin

Legend
Haven't watched Strain.

I did watch the first episode of The 100, and rather didn't like it. The premise seemed interesting, and I'm a big science fiction fan. But this had people doing inexplicably stupid things. Really stupid things. I just couldn't stand it.

Thx!

TomB

That's why I referred to it as a train wreck. If I'd been in charge, there would have been about a half dozen of The Ark's rejects who wouldn't have lasted the first week. They'd have been executed, because they were just too dangerous (or stupid) to leave alive, if everyone else was going to live.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Thanks for your comments! Guess I'll try to get the old external HD running again and record the stuff. Too bad Pro 7 picked Wednesdays for these shows, colliding with our weekly boardgame event.

Jhaelen

First Post
I didn't bother recording 'The 100' after seeing it was from CW. I used to watch Flash and Arrow which I considered some of their better offerings, but have grown fed up with both by now. I finally realized, I'm just not the intended audience for that kind of stuff - I think I've become jaded. Life's too short too waste on TV shows that are just 'okay' (or worse...).

I _will_ record 'The Strain', though. I'm a fan of Guillermo del Toro, and I usually don't mind gore, so I'm carefully optimistic I will enjoy it.

Remove ads