The Supplement Treadmill vs. The Alternatives

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
From a thread over on RPG.net in the d20 subforum, a discussion about Star Wars Saga Edition and in response to a poster's desire that it be a single book with no supplements:

grubman said:
I've felt, for some time, that it's odd that people will complain about their games going out of print or favorite companies going under...but then are pissed off when those companies do things to try and make a living from their game lines.
Okay, so this reminded me of Dungeons & Dragons fans bitching about the "supplement treadmill", both in reference to settings being over-detailed and in reference to the Complete series along with books like Player's Handbook II, Tome of Battle, and so on.

It doesn't just apply to D&D, though. It applies to any game that the publisher hopes will continue to turn a profit.

What's the alternative to the supplement treadmill? Why, it seems to me that the real alternative is everything that people decry in the same breath as ongoing supplement releases: miniatures, maps and dungeon tiles, Wizards of the Coast's "digital initiative" . . .

The only thing that you can release which isn't as often criticised is adventures, and for the most part these either sell only to GMs or are hybridised with supplements anyway, so that they appeal to players.

So, for instance, if Wizards of the Coast doesn't want to keep pumping out supplements as fast as they can, who could blame them for making it more and more attractive to buy their miniatures and maps instead? Even to the extent of making the game more miniatures-oriented?

White Wolf's solution appears to be not only supplements for each game line but more games supporting the World of Darkness - we already know there's a sixth game coming in 2008, after Changeling: The Lost.

Other companies seem to consider releasing new editions on a frequent basis an alternative to supplements or other forms of accessory material.

Especially when it comes to D&D, it frankly disappoints me that people can't look beyond their own individual needs and consider what actually makes good business sense for the people producing the games they play. They have to make money somehow, and that means supplements, accessories, or a new edition.

Pick one.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
mhacdebhandia said:
...it frankly pisses me off that people can't look beyond their own selfish desires and consider what actually makes good business sense.
Be very careful. This is emotionally loaded language, and thus more likely than normal to start an argument. Please be sure to be civil when discussing this, everyone.

Christopher, if you actually want to discuss this, you may have better responses if you edit your last paragraph.

You know, I mentioned Green Ronin's brilliant game Spaceship Zero earlier tonight, and someone said "it's a shame it didn't get more support." The same complaint was heard with Call of Cthulhu d20, a book that was designed to be a complete unit. There's a perceived vigor in a product line that continues to publish supplements, and I think that people are reluctant to buy from "dead" product lines.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
mhacdebhandia said:
Especially when it comes to D&D, it frankly pisses me off that people can't look beyond their own selfish desires and consider what actually makes good business sense. They have to make money somehow, and that means supplements, accessories, or a new edition.

Pick one.
None of the above. I choose not to buy any of that stuff. I've already GOT the game, so whether they stay in business or not is their problem, not mine.

Crothian

First Post
I do think there is a middle ground of a slower release rate. I like that we get a few Eberron books a year. I think it is a good pace and we get the extra material the fans want but not the over abundance that can drive fans nutty.

Imaro

Legend
I'm really enjoying White Wolf's newer model. Basically limited run games with everything you need in a pre-determined amount of books. I'm a Mage fan and recently that's become my "buy supplements for" game. But I've also purchased first Promethean( a really good game IMHO for the niche it covers) which is a 5 book run, and Scion(haven't finished reading it yet, but liking it so far.) which is a 3 book run. I also purchased the three books for the Blue Rose game and find it to be one of the most complete rules and world games in 3 books that I've run across. There's something about having all the books for a game, and knowing that's it, I find enjoyable.

Up until a couple of months ago I was purchasing D&D supplements, but it's gotten to the point where the game's supplements are beginning to touch on minutae I'm just not interested in or gives so many options, rule, powers, etc. that I will never get around to using, that it's basically wasted money if I buy them. In fact the only thing I've even considered buying for D&D in the last 6 months is Book of Nine Swords...I still haven't bought it yet, but that will probably be about it for me as far as rules supplements go for D&D.

rounser

First Post
Especially when it comes to D&D, it frankly pisses me off that people can't look beyond their own selfish desires and consider what actually makes good business sense. They have to make money somehow, and that means supplements, accessories, or a new edition.
I think it was Mike Mearls who pointed out that "you don't need RPG companies". Past the initial set of core books, there's nothing much the game really needs. That's the dirty little open secret that everyone already knows.

Related to Piratecat's point, I see the whole "if there's nothing more released for it it's dead" mindset echoed with regard to software. In other words, D&D is suffering from "featuritis", and the cure is dead simple; don't use all the optional material that clogs up the game.

As for me, I like core + Magic of Faerun + FRCS as the entire ruleset, and the odd monster book. The only thing I really miss from supplements that have come since is the Warlock, which deserves to be a core class more than some of the core classes do. But even if I don't buy WOTC's new Extreme Psionic Duskmuppet class book, plenty of others will because they see a need for it, and WOTC will stay in business.

So really, I get the feeling that the problem you're referring to is mostly in your head.

Glyfair

Explorer
rounser said:
I think it was Mike Mearls who pointed out that "you don't need RPG companies". Past the initial set of core books, there's nothing much the game really needs. That's the dirty little open secret that everyone already knows.
In theory. In practice many gamer eventually "get a life." By that I mean they end up with enough responsibilities and other interests that they don't have the time required to do the work for a good vibrant campaign world and still play.

If nothing else you need at least one campaign world and adventures (or adventure like supplements). To keep that level you need an ongoing product line, even if it's fan produced.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Glyfair said:
In theory. In practice many gamer eventually "get a life." By that I mean they end up with enough responsibilities and other interests that they don't have the time required to do the work for a good vibrant campaign world and still play.
Or they get a life and decide that core + appropriate supplemental material only is just fine. The ability to say "no" to oneself is probably a prerequisite for having a successful adult life, anyway.

rounser

First Post
In theory. In practice many gamer eventually "get a life."
That's what Paizo's for. If you're stuck for time, you don't need any of the material that gets peddled...beyond a campaign adventure.

Come to think of it, it's probably bad business for WOTC for people to get tied up in an adventure path for a year or more, because if the supplements are frozen as of the beginning of the campaign, then there's less incentive to buy new ones.

Last edited:

Glyfair

Explorer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Or they get a life and decide that core + appropriate supplemental material only is just fine. The ability to say "no" to oneself is probably a prerequisite for having a successful adult life, anyway.

It's the adventure material that's the true issue. Having a well thought out adventure, with locations and NPCs can be a lot of work. Some can improvise their way through most of it, but I believe that most fall in some middle ground where they want or even need some of that work done for them.

Remove ads