D&D 5E The Tale of the First World: What Do We Know About it and How Does it Connect to the Rest of the Lore? (+)

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
This all seems like much ado about nothing to me. The obvious answer is that the Progenitor Myth and the Elegy of the First World are both myths, which share a common motif of three dragons creating reality and dragonkind. There are probably many more such myths throughout the world, or worlds if you’re doing a multiversal campaign. There’s no need for there to be one right answer, especially in Eberron where the gods are less overt than in a lot of other D&D settings. Nobody knows what the real truth is, just like in real life.

Amen.

Me? I prefer the Dawn War to be my home game settings’ true history, but I also enjoy having the First World be the dragons’ creation myth and by extension, the dragons’ justification for their actions in subjugating other creatures to their will.

Well, the chromatic dragons anyway.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Amen.

Me? I prefer the Dawn War to be my home game settings’ true history, but I also enjoy having the First World be the dragons’ creation myth and by extension, the dragons’ justification for their actions in subjugating other creatures to their will.
I take a lot of inspiration from the Dawn War lore to inform the common points in various world myths in my own setting, but I wouldn’t say it’s outright the truth. Most cultures in my setting have some version of a war among the gods myth, and I like to think that they all point towards some underlying truth, but I think having a definitive answer to what that truth is makes it less compelling.

The First World is almost like some Gnostic idea of reality with the different layers or emanations, except that it's about purely the material. A lot of other RPGs like drawing from Gnosticism, like Mage or Unknown Armies. It also to some extent reminds me of The Chronicles of Amber (which also has it's own RPG) with it's "True Worlds", a series of Fantasy novels that I'm puzzled about why there hasn't been an adaptation made of it yet.

As for Aboleths I think some of the sources have said they come from the far future (or maybe it was Mind Flayers who did).

Remove ads