The Troubleshooters: 60's Cartoon Themed RPG

With influences like Tintin, Scooby-Doo, and The Man from UNCLE, The Troubleshooters is a "new action-adventure tabletop roleplaying game in the style of Franco-Belgian comics" from Swedish designer Krister Sundelin. The first adventure is called The U-Boat Mystery (which gives an idea of the tone we're talking here). Oh, and your character sheet is a passport.

linbana.png

Coming to Kickstarter on April 7th, with a release this summer in English and in French, it'll be published by Helmgast AB and Modiphius. Here's the full announcement:

"Helmgast AB proudly presents The Troubleshooters, a new action-adventure tabletop roleplaying game in the style of Franco-Belgian comics.

Imagine a world where you travel the world like Tintin, unmask heinous villains like Scooby-Doo and the Mystery Gang, unravel mysteries like Nancy Drew, do heists like Carmen Sandiego, stop evil masterminds like Spirou and Fantasio, solve crimes like The Saint, and even catch spies like The Man from UNCLE. That’s the world of The Troubleshooters.

In The Troubleshooters, the characters are drawn into other people’s problems and band together to solve them. Ranging from athletes and explorers to journalists and mad scientists, the characters will travel all over Europe and across the world. Explore exotic locations, glittering metropoles, lost temples, or valleys that time forgot, and face spies, wild beasts, mafia, villains, and the nefarious graf von Zadrith, the leader of the secret organisation the Octopus!

Written by Krister Sundelin, author of the acclaimed Swedish roleplaying games “Järn” and “Hjältarnas tid”, The Troubleshooters takes you back to the mid-1960s in a world of fast-paced adventure and fun!

The Troubleshooters Core Book will be the first in a line of products for the game together with the adventure The U-Boat Mystery, followed by adventures and background books. The text for the core book is already written and has been playtested for a year and a half, and the text for the first adventure is almost complete.

The Troubleshooters is planned for release in the summer of 2020 in English and French, with a crowdfunding campaign starting April 7th. Modiphius Entertainment will be handling the distribution of the English edition into retail stores from the Autumn 2020. Arkhane Asylum will translate The Troubleshooter to French."

According to the website, "The Troubleshooters will take the characters all over Europe and across the world. They will find themselves at exotic locations, glittering metropoles, deep in the wilderness, or even in cozy country villages, where they face horrible foes: spies, wild beast, mafia, mad scientists, villains, and relatives!"

It's a percentile dice system, with a passport for a character sheet -- "The system is based on d% task checks against a skill value. With skills, abilities, complications and a Story Point economy, the system is designed from the ground up to fit the genre. Skills, abilities and complications are recorded in the character’s passport."

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 4.08.26 PM.png

Ulfgeir

Hero
could it cause printing issues?

Unknown. I can ask the creator of the game.

edit: I asked, and he said one of 3 things could happen.

1: The page shrinks somewhat.
2: Some of the marigns at the top and bottom disapperars.
3: The printer planly refuses to print it. This is more common if you have a "smart" printer, and don't explicitively tells it that it should be a differnet format. It can also refuse to even handle it at all if you are too much in what it considers to be its margins.

Last edited:

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
this looks awesome, but isn't there already a tactics game called Troubleshooters? I hope people don't get the two mixed up.

I'm also a little surprised they didn't mention Johnny Quest as an inspiration, or at all (or the Venture Brothers for that matter), they're not quite "Franco-Belgian adventure comic", but neither are Scooby-Doo or Carmen Sandiego.

Ulfgeir

Hero
this looks awesome, but isn't there already a tactics game called Troubleshooters? I hope people don't get the two mixed up.

I'm also a little surprised they didn't mention Johnny Quest as an inspiration, or at all (or the Venture Brothers for that matter), they're not quite "Franco-Belgian adventure comic", but neither are Scooby-Doo or Carmen Sandiego.

Krister (the creator of the game) said he hadn't seen Johny Quest. Swedish TV wasn't very fond of American TV at the time we grew up. He also said he thought it was a minimal risk for confusion,

So I think, he might not have been aware of Johnny Quest or Venture Brothers. ;)

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
Krister (the creator of the game) said he hadn't seen Johny Quest. Swedish TV wasn't very fond of American TV at the time we grew up. He also said he thought it was a minimal risk for confusion,

So I think, he might not have been aware of Johnny Quest or Venture Brothers. ;)
I mean Scooby-Doo and Carmen Sandiego both appeared on American TV, though both appeared after Jonny Quest. I find it a little weird he wouldn't be aware of them, and mentioning Jonny Quest is probably the best way to market this game to Americans. also the Venture Bros., though that's actually a tongue-in-cheek satire of Jonny Quest and other adventure cartoons from the 60's.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I mean Scooby-Doo and Carmen Sandiego both appeared on American TV, though both appeared after Jonny Quest. I find it a little weird he wouldn't be aware of them, and mentioning Jonny Quest is probably the best way to market this game to Americans. also the Venture Bros., though that's actually a tongue-in-cheek satire of Jonny Quest and other adventure cartoons from the 60's.
Just because one American tv show appeared in Swedish TV doesn’t mean every American tv show did. It’s honestly not all that weird. The guy’s seen what he’s seen.

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
Just because one American tv show appeared in Swedish TV doesn’t mean every American tv show did. It’s honestly not all that weird. The guy’s seen what he’s seen.
I'm not saying it's weird that he hasn't seen it, I just find it weird that he wouldn't be aware of it, like I can't be the first person to liken this rpg to Jonny Quest.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases