• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Twilight Paths Campaign (Updated 7/30 - Questions from Above)

Cinerarium

First Post
Thoughts on the Story Hour

So after such a long break it's been tough to get back into the story hour. Now admittedly, what I just posted still leaves another 20 pages of written stuff left to go.

But one of the other reasons it was tough to get back into was that I've been reading more of the other story hours, like Destan's, PirateCat's, etc., and they're all darn good. I like them better than this one. So that got me down a bit.

But then I thought about it some, and I thought about why I started this in the first place. And it wasn't to write great fiction or anything -- I find that hard to do in a journal format. If I had to do it over again I'd probably pick more of a memoir, looking back on the life of Goetryn or something. Or as a biography, whatever. That way it'd be easier to get into the heads of the other characters, describe points of view that Tryn wasn't a part of, etc. In short, tell a better story.

So the reason I started the whole thing was really, at the end of the day, to capture what went on during the session for my benefit, so everybody in the group could look back and remember what happened when, who the important people are, etc. I also know, having DM'd quite a bit in the past, that it's nice to have a reference written from the players' points of view, to know how they're keeping up with the storyline. So I find myself intentionally including minutiae that isn't that good of a read, but might be useful to us or smalls in the future.

I guess I'm done being defensive, but I had to go through this process myself just to get back into writing the story hours again, to get psyched up for writing them again.

Thanks for listening to the rant,
Cinerarium

Cinerarium

First Post
Hammer 6

Kazir and I spent some time this morning arguing over whether to keep pursuing the matter of Opulio. Kazir is of the mind that, since the chance to get free rooming at Happy Harlan’s is apparently moot, and the only way to find out whether any of the bodies from last night’s is Opulio’s is to go through the guard, we might as well stop pursuing the matter, and cut our losses. Leaving Marigold hanging like this does not settle so well with me, however. While I doubt she has been honest with us, I would give her one last opportunity to say goodbye to her son. I have felt the loss of my kin, and know the hardship that occurs when one never has the chance to say goodbye.

I decided to pursue the matter on my own, while Kazir studied the necromancer’s spellbook. Toth happened to know a couple members of the Harrenhal guard, those soldiers assigned duty at the Ducal castle and the Pennantfields surrounding it. A few beers paid for at the Tourney Tavern near the Pennantfields, and soon enough some of his friends were talking.

Specifically, we located two guardsmen who agreed to help – Rikard d’Cymeria, and Mott of the Gap. Rikard and I exchanged some stories of taverns we’d both frequented in the Countess’s city. Mott is from the hills near Formyr, a massive stronghold overlooking the central plains of Luc Valu. I found Mott to be the more agreeable of the two, despite Rikard’s past in Cymeria. Nevertheless, they were both mercenaries to the core, and I won’t trust them any further than I have to.

Oddly enough, they both knew Toth because the half-orc had beaten them within inches of their lives in a free-for-all bar brawl some four months past. Strangely, this act of barbarism had earned their grudging respect. Some of their companions, whom Toth had similarly beaten, were not so kind when we walked into the Tourney, and had left the table as we sat down.

These Harrenhal guardsmen said they could ask around to see who was handling the cleanup from the mausoleum, and could check into the whereabouts of Marigold’s son. I let them know that Marigold had apparently asked the guard for help previously, but had been turned down. The guards, of course, wanted to be paid for their services, and I negotiated a decent price that rewarded them for useful information.

The rest of the day was spent praying at the Temple, and trying to scribe magical scrolls. I also gave some thought to a letter I would like to write for my father. Thinking of this, I decided to ask Omad if he could help get the letter to Cymeria safely, and unread.

I received and audience with the Reader soon enough, and proceeded to describe out exploits of the night before, giving him the unholy book of undead creation. He seemed greatly excited by this, and proceeded to give me the scroll he had shown me the day before, when I chose the journal instead.

Omad agreed to send the letter, and I include a copy of it here for my future reference:

Dear Father,

I have arrived in the Sevencity after some travails on the road, but am pleased to announce that I have at last arrived safely, and write to you from the sanctuary of our Lord Deneir’s temple.

Part of the reason it took me so long to reach Harren was that our caravan was attacked by bandits en route. Worse still, the bandits appeared to be looking for Gunnstein and myself specifically! Since so few knew of our leaving, I fear there may be someone in your household who wishes you ill.

Several other adventures occurred as we made our way to Harren, and Father, I am honored to tell you that during this time I was blessed by Deneir – he has chosen me to be one of his holy priests! The power is still young in me, but his knowledge and skill fill me up.

Now we are finally in Harren and have seen no sign of those who attacked our caravan. I have released Gunnstein from your service, since I have finally, safely made it to Harren, and am for now in the care of our brethren. I have also made some other acquaintances along the way, notably an Aradeeti wizard, and an elven warrior. The three of us have had a few adventures in this city, some of which are rather ominous, but I can say little more that that. We are all well, though, and I can report no immediate ill.

So Father, thank you for your wisdom in sending me away. I feel I have made a fresh start here in Harren, my old troubles left behind. I will write you as often as I may, and I hope that all is well with you. Please say hello to Kavlin, Skybald, and the other servants for me.

Your devoted son,

Goetryn

Cinerarium

First Post
Hammer 7 - Many Meetings with the Harrenguard

Toth and I returned to the Tourney Tavern along the snow-covered Pennantfields. The massive Harrenhal castle rose to our west, and the sun hung overhead. The day was bright and windless, but bitter cold nonetheless. I blew into my cupped hands and stomped my feet as we waited for the two guardsmen. Toth suggested we wait inside the tavern, and agreeing to his practical wisdom, we went inside.

Mott arrived shortly thereafter. Sitting, he spoke plainly and quietly. “I’ll be collecting payment for both me and Rikard. He’s on duty.” The stout guardsman pulled a rolled up sheaf of parchment out of his belt as I fished for the coin I’d promises him.

“It seems your woman Marigold did consult the guard about her son, but she left before we ever told her that we’d help or not. Didn’t seem too interested in his whereabouts, at least that’s what I was told.”

Mott ordered some soup, and I followed suit. The soup came in large, dug-out bread loaves, such that you could peel off a piece of bread and dip the bread in the soup. By the time the soup was gone, so was the bread. It was simple and delicious.

Mott slurped down a few mouthfuls, and continued. “That piece of paper confirms the identity of the undead you fellows kicked up. Most of them were sailors, and their captains had thought they’d deserted. We still can’t identify some of ‘em, but we’ve got some Tyrian priests trying to find out who they were. None of those unidentified ones, however, had blond hair like your Opulio supposedly did. Personally, I think they were probably bums and such.” He shrugged.

“Your Opulio wasn’t among them bunch o’ ghouls. I got a buddy who says he remembers a fella by that name being killed nearly two years ago, somewhere here in the Old Ward. He thought it odd because he ain’t never heard anyone named that other than this guy who’s been dead two winters now. Opulio Street was named after some old Formyrian Duke and I ain’t never heard of any o’ them nobles down that way being called such, and that be where I grew up, so if they not be naming their kids that, probably not too many folks are.”

I nodded impassively, not sure where this information placed Marigold. “And your friend’s name?” I asked.

Mott thought for a moment, likely seeing if he could get any more crowns out of us. “S’pose it’s no harm in tellin’ ya that, eh? Hell, he may make a bit o’ coin if you pay him to answer easy questions like you done me and Rikard.” Mott smiled. “Sergeant Sheptin. He works outta guardhouse up near Caran Plaza, in the Coinsward.”

Now I truly was beginning to be perplexed. Opulio, dead several years? What did this mean? Was Marigold in league with the slavers? Or just mad? Or had she been thrown in our paths to throw us off the scent of the enemy?

I gave my thanks to Mott and bid him adieu. Back at the Temple of Deneir by early in the afternoon, I found Kazir in our cell, studiously poring over his newly acquired spellbook. He paid me little heed as I filled him in on my conversation with Mott.

“Well then,” he began. “Marigold Thatch is either mad or working for the goblins. Fascinating.” Kazir spoke in an even more deadpan than normal, and I sensed that he was holding back a scathing bit of sarcasm at my expense. “Would you mind fetching another candle for me? This one is almost out. Thanks.”

Kazir was seriously beginning to try my patience. Much as I respect the stoic monk, his wit as of late was at my expense, a situation I was used to seeing from the other side. I could see his point of view, though. He must think me running off on a childish quest, though I simply do not wish to see the woman suffer any more. Fuming a moment, I grabbed the candle Kazir had waved at and used it to light another.

“Marigold’s either mad, or working with the goblins – or there’s even more going on! Lest you forget my good friend, Sergeant Sheptin’s name is one of those on the Halfling note we found. Maybe he doesn’t want anyone to find out what happened to Opulio.

“I don’t want to make any enemies with the guard here, and I could really care less if this Sheptin is a crook. But, assuming Marigold’s not crazy, I still feel bad for her. I think I’d like to talk with this Sheptin. If his story sounds sincere, I’ll assume the connection with the Halfling note is a coincidence, and that Marigold’s off her rocker.

“Thank you though, Kazir, for providing a sounding board,” I continued, sounding as sincere as possibly while smirking behind his head. “I know you don’t think this quest of mine is worthwhile, but I appreciate your counsel nonetheless. I’ll take Toth with me to see Sheptin, and leave you to your studies.”

At last, Kazir finally stopped his scribbling and put his quill down. He took a deep breath, perhaps a sigh, and looked up at me. “Master Goetryn, my apologies. Yes, I do think this missing boy is a fool’s errand. However, I do not mean to belittle your effort to ‘do good.’ I am not so generously inclined but your considerable efforts are admirable. Pursue them as you wish. Should you need my assistance, I will do what I can.”

Kazir picked up his quill and returned to his work. “I must say,” he said over his shoulder, “the coincidence that this Sergeant’s name you mention is also written on that note does intrigue me. Please keep me updated.”

With that, Begeth and I left. I think I am beginning to understand this Aradeeti better, and I find that while more cold-hearted than I, his demeanor is pleasing and his natural curiosity meshes well with my own. His stoicism tempers my gusto at times, and for now, at least, I count him as a valuable ally.

Once again I found myself plodding through the slush with Toth at my side, the night now fully black. Toth grew frustrated with our slow pace and tossed a few coppers to a young half-elf with a rickshaw, and soon enough we were bouncing along pleasantly enough on our way to the Coinsward.

Finally we arrived at Caran Plaza, and Toth spotted the guardhouse in the dimly-lit blackness. He instructed the rickshaw lad to wait for the two of us, and we approached the door. I clanged a run against the metal, and was pleased to hear its resounding echo inside, followed by the sounds of scurrying feet. A peephole slid open in the door, and a pair of beady, bloodshot eyes peered out. “Names and business!” said the voice belonging to the eyes.

I nodded. “I am Tryn, and this is my fellow, Toth. We seek Sergeant Sheptin.”

The eyes narrowed as they studied us. “Odd hours to be lookin’ for the sergeant, eh? And a half-orc… don’t know if I should be openin’ the door for the likes o’ you two.”

Toth sighed ponderously, and I forced a friendly smile. “Sir, we but wish to ask the good Sergeant a few questions. We are friends of his friends – Mott of the Gap and Rikard d’Cymeria. It may be worth his while.”

“Indeed?” The peephole closed, and I heard more footsteps, and the sound of voices. The door opened shortly thereafter. A man stood, silhouetted in torchlight, his features dark in the shadows. He was somewhat large, draped in a heavy fur robe and wearing the crimson of the Harrenguard. He left the iron portcullis still separating us closed. His voice was smooth, and somewhat menacing.

“I am Sergeant Sheptin. What is it you want?”

“Well met, Sergeant! I am Tryn d’Cymeria and this is Toth. Your fellow guardsman, Mott of the Gap, told us you may be able to help us… and we’d gladly make it worth your while. If you’d let me tell you our story, I promise not to take up too much of your time, and I may be able to compensate you for any… information you might have.”

Sheptin folded his arms over his chest, and nodded impassively.

“My associates and I were recently involved in the incident at the Orchard Guard Memorial, and helped to bring the necromancer there to justice. We wound up there in the first place because we were looking for a man named Opulio, whom we thought might have been captured by that fell wizard. He wasn’t there, but Mott let us know that you might know something about this Opulio. Sergeant, can you help us?”

Sheptin reached upward and pulled a torch from a sconce on the wall. He proceeded to open the gate separating the guardhouse from the outside, and held the torch upward between himself and the two of us.

At first, his face was etched with suspicion, but softened a bit after he studied our countenances. I suppose my boyish charm has not yet faded for all the stubble on it. He replaced the torch and wrapped his fox fur robe about himself. “Let me think on it…”

I studied him while he frowned, eyes downcast. Broad-shouldered and clean-shaven, with unruly black hair, he seemed somewhat unremarkable. But his eyes seemed to hold more intelligence than the normal guardsman, his manner more professional, and I could detect no malice in him.

After a few moments, he snapped his gloved fingers and looked up at me. “Tryn d’Cymeria, did you say? Been down that way myself. Take my wife and kids, I do, when I get leave once a winter. Skirt the roads so as to not stir up the Lorries, but otherwise t’ain’t a bad trip.”

He hooked both thumbs in his belt. “I won’t be needin’ yer coins, sirrah. I do recall the name, though. Opulio. Aye…” Sheptin drifted into silence as he frowned, once more in thought. “Opulio. Lanky guy. Lorrie, if I recall correctly. Lived down in the slums with his mom. He died about two, or three winters ago. If you knew him, I’m sorry.”

I attempted to maintain my composure. Again, what could this mean? Was Marigold insane? “Died?” I croaked. “Two or three years ago?”

Sheptin nodded matter of factly. “He was caught trying to steal some scrolls, if I recall, from some Dread Wizard up in the Newcity Ward… or maybe it was potions.” He shrugged. “Anything else, friends?”

“Well, Sergeant, that just about does it then. I thank you for your time, and if you ever have need of a priest of Deneir, please come to the temple and ask for me. I’m sad to know the tale of Opulio ended, and so long ago at that.

“I suppose we’ll be going… but, ah,” I grinned somewhat sheepishly, and looked at my shoes, “this Dread Wizard… do you know if he’s still alive? And, just out of curiosity, do you know if he was a necromancer?” With this last question I was really fishing, but perhaps if I could find a link between the necromancer from the cemetery and Opulio, I would at least have something to show that my search was not in vain.

Sheptin shrugged. “Necromancer? I’m not sure, Cymerian – I prefer swords over spells.”

With this, we said our farewells. Sheptin seemed like a fair enough fellow – and someone I hope I can count on in the future, should the need arise. I found nothing that made me think he was involved in any nefarious plot connected to the list of names in Halfling, and he also indicated that Opulio was long dead.

Head heavy, having failed to find out any more solid information, I joined Toth in the rickshaw back to the temple. Tired from the travels of the day, I find myself barely able to hold the pen as I finish writing this.

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
Re: Thoughts on the Story Hour

Cinerarium said:
...I also know, having DM'd quite a bit in the past, that it's nice to have a reference written from the players' points of view, to know how they're keeping up with the storyline. So I find myself intentionally including minutiae that isn't that good of a read, but might be useful to us or smalls in the future.

You don't know how right you are! Or, perhaps you do. :D

It has been a while since we've been able to sit around the gaming table for this campaign, but I know that I - personally - am very indebted to the fact that you take the time to include all the details. I've spent the better part of this morning reading Tryn's journal and it's accomplished two things for me: 1) it refreshes my memory which has faltered during this gaming hiatus, and 2) it's rekindled my desire to play again - and soon!

Great writing, "Daddy" Cin. Keep it up.

Destan aka RJSmalls aka smalls :)

Cinerarium

First Post
Hammer 8

My head pounds with too many ciders this evening. I shall write more in the morning, when the throbbing has subsided.

Hammer 9

Thankfully journal, the headache is less now. Yesterday morning, after scribing a scroll to help us later, I conferred with Kazir over what to do next. As usual, he discounted my desire to confront Marigold, but let me know he would support me if my path wound that way. We talked back and forth about Sheptin and Marigold to little avail. Soon enough, our talk turned to Sir Gorful, and it occurred to me that we still had heard nothing from him. I decided to check on him at the inns around town, and again at Happy Harlan’s. Also, Kazir let me know that Brom the Belly, the chief of security at Harlan’s, was said to have many contacts amongst the guard. I decided to spend the evening with Brom, and see if he had any information about the people on the list.

Unfortunately, the hunt proved fruitless. Gorful had not been seen around town, at any of the inns I checked. Neither had he been seen at Harlan’s. Brom was there, though, and we got deeply into our cups together, matching story for story in a duel of such bull as has seldom been seen. Late in the evening, sensing the time to be ripe, and fearing that soon I would be too drunk to remember, I passed him the list of names in Halfling. He fitted a lens against one of his eyes, holding it in place with the fleshy mass of his cheek and his brow. I translated the names on the list for his benefit.

Brom gave a low whistle. “I canna’ say if I’ve met any o’ these men, friend Tryn – I’m pretty sure I haven’t. Just so, just so – I know that first name. Makivios. He was a sergeant what was found to have let some freelance bobbit cutpurses break into a warehouse in his district. He was hanged, I think, about two months ago.”

Brom knew little else related to our quest (though I did learn a few new bawdy tales), so late in the night I bid him adieu and retired to the temple. Whom should I find there but our wayward elf, Fineon! And he seemed as drunk as myself! We caught up for the rest of the night over the remainder of his flask, and as my previous day’s entry announced, I was in no shape to write by the time we finished.

That is all the time I have to write for now, journal. I shall return later.

Hammer 9, Later the Same Day

Over a late brunch, the three of us discussed our plans for the day. Finally we decided that Kazir would continue his studies, while Fineon and I looked for Marigold. We also decided to risk a visit to the Library again, despite the machinations of our enemy, to discover if Clifticus had any luck discovering anything more about the Gul-Drimm, or the whereabouts of the missing tome.

We had little luck finding Marigold. From all accounts, she had not been seen since we uncovered the necromancer in his crypt. I began to feel a great unease about Marigold, that perhaps she was involved in the plots so far. Unable to find her, we proceeded to the Library of Oghma. The entire time I felt constantly as though Chardin would appear at any moment, raining fire down upon us. My fears were unfounded thankfully, and we soon found ourselves in front of Clifticus. Once the pleasantries were out of the way, we began to ask him about his progress, and whether he had heard from Gorful.

Clifticus shrugged. “No, no one’s been looking for you, including any bald men from the Hills estate. Further, things have been relatively quiet. Yet I do have something of note, though I’m uncertain as to whether it pertains to your own issues.

“Last night an arcane mark was left on the rear, northern wall of our temple. We have been forced to deal with vandalism there in the past – our rear wall is accessible to any from outside of the city – but normally such fare is confined to paints and pigments. Had the Great Reader not sent a dream to one of our brothers regarding the defilement, we most likely would never have known the mark was made. It was invisible, you see, unless one used magic to detect it.

“The symbol itself was simple. ‘Twas of a shield surrounding a volcano – or what looks to be a volcano – painted upon it. None of my fellow Readers had ever seen such a thing.

“I have spent the remainder of last night and this morning researching the mark, and I believe I may have located a group which uses such a sigil. The Sect of Cuth, that is their name. Unfortunately, I found only the symbol and the name of the Sect in a book of cult heraldry and religious orders’ symbology. No information is given about the Sect, though I intend to look further in my free time.

“I wish I knew more, gentle Deneirite.”

I asked him more questions about the mark, and whether any secret doors or other magics had been found near it, but unfortunately found nothing. Neither did he know more of the missing book. I returned to the Temple with Fineon downcast. Where do we go now? What do we do? For now, at least, we have decided to go to Harlan’s for a drink, on Fineon’s recommendation. That elf is one continuous sponge for liquor.

Cinerarium

First Post
Hammer 9, Late in the Evening

Tymora smiled on us this evening, giving us a path to follow out of our quandary. A young, somewhat homely woman approached us at Harlan’s. It’s a rare commoner that approaches such an odd group as ours, especially at a place like Harlan’s, so I was immediately intrigued. Kazir seemed to recognize her, so I let him take the lead (and admittedly, I was somewhat into my cups at the time, and started on crawling my way back to the surface – damn Fineon!).

She introduced herself as Miralda, and Kazir nodded in recognition. She asked us, if we could, to accompany her to her Lord’s estate in the Coinsward, where Lord Macon had a job for us.

Kazir and the others had apparently served Lord Macon before I met them in the swamps. Lord Macon’s daughter Vixia had married a Lorrie, it seems, and her other suitors had threatened a riot at the wedding. Lord Macon had hired Kazir and his associates to ensure the peace of the wedding, that Vixia and the Lorrie, Certando, might enter into matrimony happily.

Since then, it seems, Lord Macon had fallen on hard times. Several of his caravans had never reached their destinations, presumably taken in recrimination for allowing his daughter to marry a Lorrie. I had heard some of Lord Macon’s story in my last tenday in Harren, and Kazir filled me in on the rest, as he, Fineon, and I made our way to Lord Macon’s demesnes. Along the way, the fog lifted from my brain somewhat, and I readied myself to meet with a noble who, unlike the others we had met so far, might actually not be angry with us.

I felt some excitement as we entered the estate. The fine rugs and furnishings reminded me of my father’s smaller home in Cymeria, and the comfortable surroundings automatically set me at ease. I could picture myself as a youth, curled up by the hearth reading in a home much like this while my aunt in the kitchen oversaw the servants preparing dinner.

Presently we were shown into Lord Macon’s study. He appeared dreadfully in need of sleep, but otherwise in fine spirits as he looked up from a scroll he had been studying. “Welcome! Ah, Kazir, I am glad that Miralda was able to find you. I see you have new companions?”

Kazir nodded, studying Macon and the surroundings before responding. “Yes, Lord Macon. This is Goetryn Pater d’Cymeria, and Fineon Elvenkin. For what do we owe the pleasure of this meeting?”

Macon absentmindedly picked up the parchment he had been studying. “Excellent, well, as you know, I had some… difficulties… getting my caravans through, but I’d promised I’d hire you again once I had the means. Well, I finally got some of my wool through to Longsnow [a Valudian frontier town], and I am now happy to say that I would like to place you under employment again.” He fidgeted with the parchment, glancing down to it with an almost childlike excitement on his face.

“We would be honored to hear your proposal, Lord Macon,” I said, glancing slightly at the parchment to draw his attention there.

I should mention at this point that I am getting somewhat self-conscious of my own diplomatic skills. The robes we discovered in the tomb of Luvio – may Ridley’s soul find rest in Milil’s halls – have given me some gifts in this skill. I’ve always prided myself on my ability to form quick relationships with people, but especially after my performance a few nights past in the Orchard Grove Cemetery, I begin to feel the full power of the robes taking effect. At any rate, I apologize for the diversion.

“Yes – this parchment… you’re observant, master Pater. I have recently come into possession of what I believe is a map to an old dwarven fortress in the mountains northeast of Harren. And not just any fortress,” he paused dramatically, inhaling as he looked at each of us, the firelight glinting in his dark eyes, “the fortress Khundrakar, home of Durgeddin himself!”

At this I could not help but gasp slightly and raise my eyebrows. I quickly noticed that Kazir and Fineon were looking at me expectantly. “Durgeddin,” I began, looking at Lord Macon for his permission to continue, “was a master dwarven smith. He was known – I would have thought widely – for his hatred of orcs. I believe he was once a member of the Silverhand clan who lost his family in an orc raid. He swore vengeance, and seeing that his fellow dwarves were reluctant to seek revenge, broke away from the clan with a small band of his followers and apprentices. He and his miners were said to have widened out a natural cave and turned it into a fortress, Khundrakar or Stone Tooth, from which they launched numerous raids on the on the humanoids in the region. From what travelers recount, his men were responsible for the slaughter of entire clans of orc and goblinkind, including their females and children. Eventually, so the story goes, ogres and orcs discovered his hiding hole and slew Durgeddin and all of his followers.”

Lord Macon nodded, apparently pleased to hear I knew a part of his story. “Indeed master Pater, indeed. Now, from all reports, Durgeddin’s weapons and armor are some of the finest ever made during this Age, and the few artifacts I have seen attest to this fact. If this map is correct – and I think it is – there is surely even more left in his stronghold.”

“Sure,” Fineon interrupted, “but there are probably even more orcs and ogres.”

Macon grinned. “And so we come to it. I would like to hire you to find out whether this map is true. I’ll pay you just to find out whether the fortress exists as the map claims – and if you enter, I’d ask to purchase anything valuable you find within. Of course, if you wish, you can sell to someone else, but I’d ask to have the first chance to make an offer. It’s a no lose situation.”

Before Fineon could speak again, I caught the Lord’s attention. “Your offer is very interesting. Might my companions and I talk about it privately for a moment?”

“Of course,” Macon replied, and left the room, map in hand. We quickly discussed the offer and decided to accept it. At this point, we had nothing to lose – and little to gain by staying in the Sevencity. A nice distraction for a tenday or so, to lay low and hope that the enemy stopped watching over us. With any luck, we would make this Lord Macon a trusted ally, and get some small fortune out of the deal. I was particularly worried about our survival chances in a fortress presumably overrun with ogres and their lot, but in the face of Fineon’s optimism and bravado I found it hard to mount a counterargument. Even Kazir seemed eager to go. We agreed to take up Lord Macon’s quest. He gave us the map and a hearty five hundred crowns each, and we retired to the Temple.

Cinerarium

First Post
Hammer 10, on Lake Harren

As early as possible this morning we gathered Begeth again, purchased rations, and set about finding transportation north across Lake Harren. We soon found a fisherman, Peb, willing to take us in his dhow to the mouth of the Wine River, near the northern end of Lake Harren and close to our objective. Leaving on a sailboat seemed preferable to taking the north road, where Bugdul and his men lay in wait for us. With the late tide, we were away from Harren and our problems, and out on the wintry stillness of the lake.

The day passed peacefully and uneventfully as Peb changed the lateen rigging on his vessel to catch the wind and speed us on our way. Peb was rather poor, gaptoothed and thin, but he went about his task with a meticulousness that I admired, and I found myself missing my days in Cymeria, tagging along with my father whenever he would allow, as he would inspect the new vessels in port. This dhow is tiny compared to some of the galleons that would weigh anchor in Cymeria, or even the ketch that bore us from Val Hor in my youth. But its merry triangular sail caught the wind on a beam reach well enough, and we made good progress in the open water.

Hammer 11, on Lake Harren

The wind picked up this afternoon, and it seems that the slight chop is nearly too much for Kazir. He has taken to meditating on the poop, trying to calm his stomach. Peb thinks we will make landfall by tomorrow if this wind holds.

Hammer 12, Near the Mouth of the Wine River

Midday found us at the mouth of the Wine River. We disembarked and said our farewells to Peb, who offered to pick us up if we lit a signal fire. We let him know it would be some time before we returned, but he agreed to wait a few days and fish before returning to Harren.

To the north of us, the land rose into a pine forest, its boughs dark and foreboding. We grimly hoisted our packs and headed into the woods. Once under their sheltering boughs and out of the wind, they seemed much less evil. The peace and quiet of the forest lifted my spirits, and we made decent time marching up the gentle slope. We made camp shortly thereafter amidst the pine needles.

Hammer 14, in the Depths of Khundrakar

The earthen creature is dead, and we have paused for a moment in this chamber of death to heal our wounds and decide whether to continue. I believe we will rest here for a short time before continuing – it seems that the orcs and ogres have learned their lesson and no longer venture into this chamber.

Yesterday around noon we spotted it, a lone stony peak rising out of the surrounding woods to a height of over a few thousand feet. I thought I could make out smoke rising from the far side of the hill, and Kazir sent Zazu to investigate. Zazu circled the hill and managed to find the source of the smoke, a small fissure in the side of the hill, most of the way up. The clever owl also managed to find a path that zigzagged its way up the hillside to a ledge about one thousand feet up – a path that we likely would not have discovered without the keen-eyed owl.

We decided to make for the fissure instead of the front door, reasoning that whomever was inside would be difficult to take through the main entryway. The climb was arduous as we scorned the trail for the path up the rugged hillside. In places the ground had washed away into a vertical wall of earth, forcing us to track sideways across the hill before climbing further. Eventually we were able to find the fissure, a gap about five feet square hidden amongst thickets and boulders. The hole descended down, down into darkness. A very faint odor of wood burning rose from inside, and our eyes watered as we peered into the blackness.

Fineon decided to try his luck and descend into the hole. He fastened his rope on a boulder, and lowered himself down, never letting the rope go much further below him. Eventually he signaled that all was clear. Begeth was next, and then Kazir inched his way down the rope. Finally I stood alone on the hillside, the evening gloom above me, and the ominous blackness beneath. I have never been the strongest lad, relying more on my wits and my tongue to get me out of trouble – and recently, my faith in the Glyphlord, blessed me His name. The thought of lowering myself by brute force into an unknown depth made my knees shake in terror. I was horribly frightened at the thought, and I did not want to give Begeth another reason to make fun at my expense, so I had not even asked him to carry my heavier belongings down with him. After the climb up, my armor and crossbow felt like lead weights strapped to my neck.

Moments slid by, and I could sense the growing impatience and danger of my friends below. If something should happen to them now, I would be unable to aid them from this height. This final thought gave me renewed strength. I knelt at the lip of the fissure, grasped the rope in both hands, wrapping it around my waist and ankle as Fineon had done, and slowly crawled backwards over the edge. For a heart-pounding moment I hung on the edge of the hole, my arms stubbornly refusing to move back and my chest heaving against the wall of the fissure. At last I pushed back with my legs and began to walk down the hole, lowering myself hand over hand while my feet braced against the wall. Move down on the rope with my hands. Step down the wall with my feet. Repeat.

My pleasure at getting closer to the bottom was tempered with the realization that my arms were beginning to shake under the strain. My palms, already sweaty, were now raw and burning from friction with the coarse hemp rope. My lungs burned from the acrid smoke I could now see came from a large pile of embers smoldering below. I would have cried but for the knowledge that my friends awaited me below, and other, darker creatures as well. Just when I thought I had made it, with perhaps twenty feet left to go, I looked down to check my progress, at the same time adjusting my hold on the rope. My grip failed, and for a horrifying eternity I flailed in space, attempting to grab the rope again as my legs pushed me back from the wall and the rope and my life. I fell, hard, into the embers, seared by their heat, the wind knocked out from me and pain aching in every sinew of my body. I heard scuffling and running around me as I rolled out of the fire, barely able to move, and called upon my Lord’s strength to heal me, using one of the scrolls I had prepared earlier. Though I nearly fainted from the pain and effort of summoning His strength, the power coursed through me and I felt my wounds mend.

Fortunately for me, my companions had not waited for me to get myself out of the fire. As I pulled myself shakily to my feat, I looked around with smoke-blurred vision to see Begeth charging into combat with some goblinoid creature that was entering our room from a dark passageway. The light from the fire, its embers now exposed from my fall, lit the room, apparently some sort of kitchen, in a hellish light. The battle unfolded as more of the goblins raced to the attack. One was even a spellcaster who summoned a ball of fire to attack Kazir. I’m afraid I added little to the combat other than a distraction. Before I even realized, the fight was over and the goblins lay dead. Their spellcaster had fled invisibly, and we warily pursued the sounds of his retreat into the next room, a large cavern with many exits. Kazir cleverly used his wand to make the invisible adept fall into a slumber, whereupon Fineon was able to find and slay him.

The combat over with no escapees, we felt safe, for the moment at least, to recover and explore our surroundings. The goblin adept was carrying a number of interesting items, including a ring with several keys. Exploring further, we followed a dwarven-made passage to a locked door, easily opened with the key. Through the door, a yawning chasm split the cavern, its depths too far for our light to reach. The dwarves had left a rickety bridge spanning the chasm, and following it, we soon found another exit to the complex, the front door indicated on Lord Macon’s map. I breathed a sigh of relief to again be in the open air and out of the closeness of the mine. Knowing that we had another way out besides the rope had something to do with my relief as well.

Finding the exit gave us a renewed sense of confidence and we turned our backs on the open air, moving further into the tunnels. We took one of the unexplored exits from the first cavern outside of the kitchen, the one that the adept had tried to flee down. The passage branched, and again took on the look of worked stone. Another door ended the tunnel in one direction, and we decided to go through. Begeth opened the door, only to face a number of huge ogres standing up from around a table and drawing weapons! The ensuing fight was fierce and close. I was knocked unconscious and close to death by one of the beasts’ massive greatclubs, and missed most of the fighting. I awoke to find Kazir kneeling over me, a tense smile on his face. Apparently he alone had come out of the fighting on his feet, but Tymora had smiled on us, and we all lived to fight again. Deneir received many prayers from me, as I did my best to heal up my other companions.

Drained of spells and having nearly died, we decided to exit the compound and find a secure place to rest out the night. We found a small depression on the far side of Khundrakar, and I fell asleep nearly instantly, exhausted from the long day of hiking, my harrowing fall, and my near-death experience. My sleep was fitful and filled with dark dreams that I am glad to not remember. Fin told me that I was moaning in my sleep; I like to think it was from the wounds and not from any ominous visions of the night.

Lathander rose in the morning though, banishing Shar and her nightmares, and raising my hopes for the new day as well. Healed and ready to go, I steeled myself for another day inside of the caves and tunnels of the dwarves. This time we decided to not explore the area where we had fought the ogres any more for the time being. We took instead another exit out of the main cavern. This one led us to a large set of stone doors, wreathed in dwarven runes that I could not decipher. When Fin approached, the doors swung open silently, revealing a large rectangular chamber beyond. Fin called upon his god to show him the magic of the portal, and detected that the doors had magically detected him and thereby opened. Now I was beginning to get scared.

We entered the room with some nervousness. As we approached the far end, we could make out a number of skeletons, both dwarven and more obviously goblinoid. The goblinoid ones had been smashed, as if on a colossal anvil. When I began to ruminate on how none of us were dwarves, we passed the entryway to the room, and the massive stone doors swung shut behind us. Another set of doors on the far side of the chamber, nearer to the skeletons, looked promising, so we decided to press on. Fin detected further magic around the doors on the far side, and we expected them to open on our approach. As Fineon reached the far set of doors, a low rumbling shook the chamber, quiet at first but rapidly building as the floor itself began to shake! I whirled around to see the stone floor in the center of the room erupting upwards! The stone and earth took the form of a huge humanoid, with a large blocky head and boulder-sized fists. It lumbered towards us with ponderous movements, each step a groan of stone on stone, small pebbles falling from its stride.

The crushed bones of the goblins in the room made sudden sense, as did the large amount of dust in the room. Our only chance to live, so I thought, would be to convince this guardian of the dwarves that we were here to rid its realm of these goblinoid invaders, nothing more. As I opened my mouth to speak, Kazir spoke the command words of one of his spells, the arc of eldritch power speeding from his gesturing hand to the elemental approaching us. My hope for parley died.

As did we all, nearly. The fight was difficult, the elemental’s long reach pummeling us again and again. I was forced to fight in close combat with my rapier, to no avail. My best strikes did nothing, my rapier glancing off of the creature’s stony hide. Finally one of Kazir’s spells blasted a large enough portion of dirt free to kill the beast.

Battered and bruised, we have decided to rest for the time being where we are. The skeletons indicate that the goblins have learned their lesson and are unlikely to venture here.

Cinerarium

First Post
Hammer 15 (I think), the Depths of Khundrakar

Still sore from the elemental’s pounding, we awoke in the utter darkness of Khundrakar, feeling ever more like we are trapped in a tomb.

I talked briefly with Kaz and Fin before praying to Deneir this morning. We came to the conclusion that whatever lay beyond the doors would most likely be undead. After all, it appeared that the goblinkin had not survived this hall, and what could have survived so long, unable to reach the surface? It was with great trepidation I watched as Fineon moved towards the entrance to the lower levels, coming into contact with the magical aura that made the doors swing open on their ancient hinges.

My fear, for the moment, was ill-founded. The other side of the doors opened into a stairwell leading down into darkness. With goblins and ogres at our backs, we warily descended. The bottom of the long, curving stairwell opened into a large, natural cavern whose limits our light could not find. We moved further into the cavern, staying near the wall on our left to avoid getting hopelessly lost. I jumped at every echo and drip of water, my heart beating in my chest as I mentally conjured the images of every ghoul in Hell out of the shadows. Soon enough they came, a band of albino lizard-creatures, similar to the lizardfolk but with elongated snouts and pale, white scales. They swarmed at us out of the darkness, swinging great axes and bearing down on us with a fury!

The fight was short but fierce. I launched defensive spell after defensive spell, and healed Begeth and Fineon as they were bloodied even as they hacked apart their foes. Kazir’s evocations sizzled out of the ether, combusting and electrocuting the cave-dwellers. Soon enough they all lay bleeding their lifeblood onto the cavern floor. Wounded more in spirit than body, we rested momentarily, and ventured on.

Soon enough we found the passage that the monsters came from, their wet tracks appearing from a subterranean stream that issued from a cave wall before disappearing into the wall opposite. Another tunnel led us into a chamber coated in giant mold spores and phosphorescent fungus. Amidst the mold we spotted several decaying skeletons adorned with weapons and armor. None of us had the ability to retrieve the booty without traveling through the mold, so we retreated for the time being.

Down another passage we found what I had suspected and feared, a burial chamber. A number of sepulchers carved from stone blocks sat atop a ledge that overlooked a much larger cavern, this one also covered in phosphorescent fungus. The ledge and sepulchers were clean of fungus, though a number of desiccated humanoid and beetle husks lay nearby. I moved to approach the far sepulchers, which were closed and covered in dwarven runes that I wanted to copy. As I approached, a number of gigantic spiders dropped from the ceiling! Their faceted eyes reflected hundreds of torches as their maws clicked in anticipation of another feast.

Toth and Fin were quick to cut down the spiders closest to them. I stabbed at one with my rapier, to little effect. Kazir’s spat forth a gout of vile ichor that he narrowly dodged before destroying the beast. In a matter of seconds, the spiders lay dead. I began to think that we had come into our own, so to speak. We had taken the worst the cavern had to offer, and survived.

Brimming with confidence, I made it over to the closed sarcophagi and began to examine the runes. While struggling with the hard dwarven script, I heard Toth scream in agaony over my shoulder! He had looked out of one of the exits to the cavern, a short passage that ended in a large round pit. He staggered backwards into the room, a huge wound open in his shoulder. We quickly readied ourselves for whatever would come through the entryway.

“Another o’ them spiders,” Toth said, “but large as a horse!” He spat and grimaced at the pain. Tense seconds passed. After an eternity, we relaxed our guard. The spider seemed content to leave us be, and for our part we decided to not investigate its parlor any longer. I healed Toth, and we took stock of our options. Below us lay the fungus-infested cavern. Bringing our light closer to bear, we could see that a rough path existed through the dimly glowing moss, as far as we could see. Closer to hand was another passageway. We chose the closest passage, and left the fungus for later.

After a winding tunnel, the passage opened into another natural chamber, this one formed around another stream that emerged from the right hand wall and fell into a steeply-descending cascade before disappearing into a hole in the far corner of the room. A treacherous path led up along the left hand wall into another archway. Any misstep on the path would find me sliding down the damp walls of the chute and into the waterfall, never to be seen again.

Tymora favors the foolish, fortunately, and we safely traversed the path to the archway. Through the arch, the path ended in a landing looking over a perfectly circular pit, obviously carved by the loving hands of dwarves. I guessed that a stairwell most likely descended from the landing to the floor, about forty feet below. I examined the walls and found that indeed, small holes existed that could have been filled with wooden supports for a stair.

Unfortunately for us, no stairwell currently filled the pit, so Fin attached a rope to a protruding rock in the hallway, and rappelled down to the chamber below. Nervously waiting my turn (I asked Begeth to lower me down, so as not to repeat my fall into fire a few days before), I nearly jumped off the precipice when Kazir screamed in pain behind me. Whirling to face the new enemy (and very conscious of Fineon, forty feet straight down and far from danger), I saw Begeth’s spider, easily six feet across, perched on the wall above Kazir. His left arm hung limp, badly bleeding, as the spider moved in for the kill. In an instant, it was on Kazir, attempting to grapple him against its crunching mandibles. Kazir’s good arm shot out, fending off the furry forelegs of the arachnid. Begeth charged to Kazir’s aid. Toth howled in primal fury, his great axe whirling in an uppercut blow that sliced half of the insect’s head clean off, the carapace shattering as whitish ichor splattered across the floor. As a final insult, Toth kicked its lifeless form into the chasm.

I did not relish his tusked grin as he looked back at us. Below me, in the pit where Fineon was alone, I heard talking. I turned to look over the edge. A ghostly dwarf had emerged from an archway at the base of the pit and had approached Fineon. I could not understand its speech, but after a few moments it appeared that Fineon did. After another minute of talking, during which I did my best to heal Kazir, but in truth did little as I had spent all of my spells uselessly against the lizardkind, Fineon began to ascend the rope, leaving the ghost below.

“Fin – what happened below? Are you well?”

“Eh, I’m fine. Come on, let’s go back to the outer room.” He shook his head as I opened my mouth to speak. “Say, Kaz,” Fin asked, just now noticing our wizard’s blood-soaked cloak, “how’d you get hurt?”

In the outer chamber, our words nearly drowned out by the roar of the waterfall, Fin told us what had gone on below, even while he remained blissfully ignorant to how close we had come to losing Kazir. The dwarven ghost had thanked him for clearing out the upper levels, or warrens as he called them, but warned him not to continue any further. Fin wanted to go back immediately, that we should all fight the ghost and destroy it, that we might take whatever treasure it guarded. Kazir seemed only too willing to go along.

I will not speculate on the attitudes of those who may someday read this journal, if indeed it ever emerges from the darkness of this place. I have never been one to care for the laws of monarchs or petty nobles, whose right to power comes as legitimately in my mind as that of any thug in the street, always watchful for the next larger dog to come along.

But the contents of this tomb, for that is what it is, are in a large sense the property of the dwarves who died defending it – and apparently haunt it still. If we had not encountered this restless spirit, I would have no qualms claiming the spoils for myself, as we bled for that right against those who had stolen it to begin with. But the discovery of the original guardians of that treasure – even those undead who guard it still with honor – gives me pause. And I would not send such a spirit to the Abyss for failing to fulfill such a charge as defending the treasures of its kinfolk.

So I argued with Kaz and Fin. This is not the first time I have noticed their willingness to pillage, their lack of compassion for their fellows, and their cold desire for treasure at any cost. Yes, we were hired by Lord Macon to recover whatever we could of the dwarven treasure – but that was before we knew that there were dwarves still here defending that treasure (albeit undead dwarves). Throughout it all, Begeth at least stayed at my side – of all people, the one I considered least likely to be there. But he has a strong sense of honor, this one, and I had saved his life several times now through the grace of my Lord Deneir. He is a stout, if simple, comrade.

In the end, we decided to let the matter rest for the time being. Wounded and bereft of magic, we decided to again retire to the chamber where we defeated the elemental, and rest.

Cinerarium

First Post
Hammer 15, the Forge of Khundrakar

Another chill sleep passed in the stillness of Khundrakar. Fin shook me awake, having taken the last watch, and we all readied ourselves in silence. The only conclusion we had come to from the last evening was to leave the dwarven spirit to his rest for the time being, and continue exploring the rest of the caverns. Kazir announced that his magic could perhaps let us retrieve the sword we spotted with the skeletons in the moss-encrusted room, so we traveled there as quickly as possible. His magic was potent, summoning an invisible helper to retrieve the bastard sword and a few other trinkets from the moss. Making haste, we also used the servant to shake loose some of the items in the spider’s web above the pit. Some of the items and coins were lost, but interestingly we recovered a vial containing Tears of Lys, a powerful narcotic I had heard of in my previous life, in Cymeria.

Perhaps these Tears can be used to buy my way into certain sectors of Harren society. I shall have to think more about it, but I don’t see why not. The Tears are so expensive that only the richest use them, and putting them into the right hands could prove useful.

Now we turned to the one path we had not taken, that appeared not to be guarded by dwarven spirits, the path through the fungus near the sepulchers where we fought the spiders. The path led through the large cavern for some ways, before finally coming to the end of the cave and a large iron door. Toth and Fin managed to haul one of the stone sarcophagus lids over and bashed it in, and we proceeded on our way.

Ahead was a worked stone passage. A little further in, we began to hear the faint sound of hammer on anvil, growing louder as we went. The corridor ended in an octagonal room containing three cast bronze statues, each easily ten feet tall, of dwarves in various poses of battle. I was fascinated by these sculptures, and while I was occupied examining them, Fineon spotted something even more interesting, a secret door. Cautiously we opened the door, and it swung on silent hinges. The pounding of hammer on anvil became louder.

“Hello?” Fineon asked. Toth shook his head at the elf, and headed up the stairs on the other side of the door. We all followed.

The top of the stairs opened into a huge hallway, the ceiling out of sight of our light. Pillars, spaced thirty feet apart, stretched the length of hall as far as we could see, and still that rhythmic pounding echoed out of the darkness.

The considerable hair on the back of Toth’s neck raised, and he tensed at the ready for battle. I peered around his girth into the darkness. There, hovering at the edge of our light, were thirteen ghostly dwarven figures. Before anyone could act, I spoke up.

“Dwarven spirits, we apologize for disturbing your rest, and mean no ill will to you or your halls. We have cleared the upper levels of your ancestral foes, and merely sought to clear these levels as well.”

The specters stopped their approach, and between hammer blows I could hear the heavy breathing of my companions, all of us aware that this could quickly turn fatal.

Last edited:

Lela

First Post
Finally, I have arrived. I had actually finished this yesterday (or was it two days ago, I've lost track) and loved every minute of it.

Thanks for granting me yet another Story Hour to read and I plan to post often. As often as you do anyway.

This rocks, it's amazing, and it's (kinda) FR. What more could anyone want?

Remove ads