The Ultimate RPG tabletop network tool

EPRock

Slaughter McSlaughter
Things that I would like to see

- Option During Combat (Restrict Private Chat)
Allow to whisper or chat during their turn only.

azhrei_fje

First Post
(Luke, I had some fun finding RPM; perhaps a link should be in your .sig?)

Have you seen/tried DMGenie? It seems to compare very favorably to RPM, although I will admit that the author of DMGenie is so far reluctant to address the networking aspect. :( Things that I like about it: customizable using VBscript, programmable user interface (buttons execute user-defined VBscript code), condition tracking, mapping with "hotspots" (links to other areas of an adventure), creatures/items movable on the map, random encounter generation via statblocks, item tracking (magical weapons/armor, wand charges, etc), inventory items as containers, support for familiars/animal companions/special mounts via scriptable feats (very flexible and easy for the user to further customize), combat tracker (rounds and initiative), and combat log (RTF control).

Things I don't like: written in VB (no speed demon), not open source (I've considered writing my own in Java or C++ and open sourcing it), scripting support for spells/psionics and magic items is underway but not complete, needs some kind of "equipment set" so that creatures can easily switch from "melee" to "ranged" mode without having to manually wield weapons and such (only a few clicks, but still...), and lack of networking.

I've just downloaded RPM so I'll try it out in the next few days. I remember trying it a long time ago, but it has been quite awhile. Who knows? With fog-of-war support, I might even switch to RPM!

DonTadow

First Post
azhrei_fje said:
(Luke, I had some fun finding RPM; perhaps a link should be in your .sig?)

Have you seen/tried DMGenie? It seems to compare very favorably to RPM, although I will admit that the author of DMGenie is so far reluctant to address the networking aspect. :( Things that I like about it: customizable using VBscript, programmable user interface (buttons execute user-defined VBscript code), condition tracking, mapping with "hotspots" (links to other areas of an adventure), creatures/items movable on the map, random encounter generation via statblocks, item tracking (magical weapons/armor, wand charges, etc), inventory items as containers, support for familiars/animal companions/special mounts via scriptable feats (very flexible and easy for the user to further customize), combat tracker (rounds and initiative), and combat log (RTF control).

Things I don't like: written in VB (no speed demon), not open source (I've considered writing my own in Java or C++ and open sourcing it), scripting support for spells/psionics and magic items is underway but not complete, needs some kind of "equipment set" so that creatures can easily switch from "melee" to "ranged" mode without having to manually wield weapons and such (only a few clicks, but still...), and lack of networking.

I've just downloaded RPM so I'll try it out in the next few days. I remember trying it a long time ago, but it has been quite awhile. Who knows? With fog-of-war support, I might even switch to RPM!

I have used tried dmgenie and roleplaying master and I will say, while it has its problems, dm genie is the best. RPM crashes alot on both of my systems (and i have a gig of memory). Plus the ease of use is very difficult to begin and even then the information is not right there in front of you.

DM genie is pretty easy and visually more appealing. The maps from dundjinni incorporate easily into it. Plus with vb its very customizable. I figured out a way to reallsitically incoprotate the elements of magic point system into the system.

The gripes I have is that they do not have a universal notes system that carry's from eon adventure to the next, and the weather system doesnt have a location specific weather pattern.

Luke

Explorer
DonTadow said:
DM genie is pretty easy and visually more appealing. The maps from dundjinni incorporate easily into it. Plus with vb its very customizable. I figured out a way to reallsitically incoprotate the elements of magic point system into the system.
"Visually more appealing" is pretty much personal taste. It uses pretty much a standard windows interface. RPM originally had such an interface, and with all the windows and information availabe, it turned out eventually that most preferred the colour-coded skinning approach.
Its one of those things where you'll always find certain people prefer "the other way", whatever way you choose.

RPM has a very open, powerful flexible scripting capability. The scripting facility is also built into the dataset management, so that those producing different genre d20 datasets can easily make it available to others.

RPM will also take maps from other sources, even to the extend of utilizing CC2 .emf exports so that you can zoom your maps without the graininess you get from zooming bitmaps.
Additionally, you have a fully fledged, very powerful map editing capability for creating original maps on the fly.

I should also mention something that has come up in RPM discussions - a genuine stacking rules capability in the RPG engine. Don't just look at things like AC. Apparantly there are some serious concerns with the app you chose. This amazed me, since to the mind of many, its getting all the stacking rules ultimately correct that is what has people leaning most to using a computer in-game.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate it if this thread could stay on topic concerning networking. I really don't want it to fizzle on one of those "my app is better than yours" kind of discussions. Since there's no such thing for DMGenie, its particularly irrelevant.

Hopefully we can get the FEATURES right for what people want, and I can make it available. If others also want to go ahead and make other stuff available - then great!
Lets talk about NETWORKING FEATURES - please...

garignack

First Post
I see that networking should support tabletop and internet gameplay. The networking cababilities should such that both methods can be used.

I typically break gameplay into 4 phases, adventuring, combat, rewards, character development.

My thoughts:

Adventuring:

Chat, common map display, a place to share NPC pictures, skill checks, dynamic map, (all not revealed at once). Sound Effects. (either streamed or locally stored, remotely triggered)

Combat:

networked combat management engine, players able to see what other players and mob's are doing while planning thier next move. Players able to move thier character on the combat map

rewards:

Dm driven Xp distribution. DM can give items directly or place items into a queue and allow players to divy up rewardst,

Character Development:

Dm can change any value on character sheets, Players are limited to using the leveling wizard. Creation of a Class Creation Wizard so that the DM can create custom prestige classes easier.

Those are the ideas that come to mind when talking about networked RPG games. I really enjoy using RoleplayingMaster. I love how it allows me to focus on the story and gameplay instead of spending tons of time on the technical specifics.

Garignack

Slipshod

Explorer
Luke said:
I should also mention something that has come up in RPM discussions - a genuine stacking rules capability in the RPG engine. Don't just look at things like AC. Apparantly there are some serious concerns with the app you chose. This amazed me, since to the mind of many, its getting all the stacking rules ultimately correct that is what has people leaning most to using a computer in-game.
FYI - The recent 2.15 release of DMGenie has full stacking rules.

LUKE said:
Hopefully we can get the FEATURES right for what people want, and I can make it available. If others also want to go ahead and make other stuff available - then great!
Lets talk about NETWORKING FEATURES - please...

1. Accurate, Complete, easy to understand documentation is a must. Some people (especially myself) won't use a program if we have to waste time figuring out how to perform simple things in the software.

2. Customizable Avatar icons. Not just miniatures on the battle-map - I'm talking about optional displays in the chats, and as an indicator for who's turn it is.

3. Somebody mentioned spell-effect overlays - they should be done in a manner consistent with the map overlay type. So if it's a square grid, a 30' radius spell effect should be displayed in 5' square chunks arranged according to the DMG layouts when the player is placing it.

4. Three layers to the mapper - Fog of war, Player Map, DM Secrets. From the DM side the top two should be partially transparent. There should also be a quick and easy way to erase each layer to reveal items beneath it (traps, secret doors, etc...). The players should see a view with each layer opaque.

5. EASY way to scale the grid to the map, as well as an easy way to scale the entire map/grid so that when you're using an overhead projector you can easily adjust the grid into 1" squares.

6. Movement planning - some method for the players to pre-plan moves (and see potential for AoA).

That's it for now, gotta run...

Luke

Explorer
Thanks Slipshod,

I appreciate the comments.

Not sure what you meant about planning movement, though. My current work simply allows players to move around their own PCs, and all connected maps simply update. I'm thinking about the DM being able to apply a temporary "lockdown" during turn processing for other creatures.
One thing I want to avoid (and this is my general RPG app philosophy), is a very regimented program, where (for example) players can only move their own PCs strictly in sequence - at all times.
This would be annoying for the all too common scenario where a DM says something like "Okay now, I need you all to tell me exactly where in the room you're standing." Generally there are times when free-for-all placement of connected players is a good thing.
I was also thinking that players simply move their PCs on the map as their movement turn comes up. Very often, creatures that had a turn just before them may well have moved (at least a 5' step). This means that a "movement plan" perhaps isn't worth all the effort, since you may not know exactly where you want to move to until its actually your turn (given the possible movements of those just before you).
In my current work you just drag around, and others see it in real-time.

Regards,
Luke

Slipshod

Explorer
Luke said:
Not sure what you meant about planning movement, though. My current work simply allows players to move around their own PCs, and all connected maps simply update. I'm thinking about the DM being able to apply a temporary "lockdown" during turn processing for other creatures.[.QUOTE]

I'm more talking about planning their actual move on their "turn". In table-top games we have a rule where you have to declare "I'm moving here" while actually tapping your miniature in each square while you count off the movement out loud. This lets people explore various movement options to see which paths get them which distances and provoke (or not) attacks of opportunity. After they've decided, they tap-tap-tap their way through the movement and we resolve AoO on the way.
It seems like if you're just allowing them to slide around counters without actually marking movement it could lead to arguments (I didn't move through that square!) and confusion when people just slide the counter to the destination without any indication of the path it took to get there.

Cheers,
Slipshod

Remove ads