• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Ultimates 2

ddvmor

I'm a little teapot!
There aren't enough threads about comics on this board... so here's one!

Anyone read issue 2 of 'The Ultimates 2', here?

Is it just me or has the artist, Brian Hitch been dropping movie stars into his art? There was a particular shot of Xavier that looked just like Patrick Stewart, a close up on Thor that was definitely Brad Pitt and that final shot of Nick Fury that was unmistakably Samuel L Jackson.

Has anyone else spotted any star cameos that I've missed?

Maybe it's time for a 'comic book casting' thread...?

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
Nick Fury has always been modelled after Samuel L. Jackson in the Ultimates.
That was indeed Patrick Stewart. Hawkeye is young Kevin Costner. The whole
Actors-As-Characters thing is not a new development.

DarkSoldier

First Post
I wonder what Loki has in store for his half-brother and his friends?

Back in the first volume of Ultimates, there was a character who was supposed to be Freddie Prinze Jr. Because the creative team didn't have permission to use his likeness, his face is always obscured (a word balloon is right over his face in one panel) or facing away from the panel.

I have the first TPB of Ultimate X-Men, and Xavier does not look like Patrick Stewart. It's probably because UXM started before the X-Men films were released.

Staffan

Legend
The Grumpy Celt said:
So spoil us on the story....
[sblock]So far, someone has leaked that Bruce Banner is the Hulk, which means that he's up for a couple of hundred charges for murder. Also, Thor's been getting visits from other Asgardians (I think it was Volstagg), telling him that Loki is gunning for him. No-one else seems to have seen Volstagg, so it may have been a case of Thor being a nutso mutant instead of an Asgardian God.
When the Ultimates accuse Thor of leaking the info that Banner is Hulk, he says "Hey, I've hardly ever been to the Triskelion, so where would I have gotten the info? I think this is the work of my brother."[/sblock]

ddvmor

I'm a little teapot!
That's the one. With cameo appearances by several bankable movie stars.

I really enjoyed the first series - particularly the moment when
they used the Hulk as a weapon of mass destruction

This new series seems a little slow getting off the ground in comparison and it's been geting one or two poor reviews - although I've really enjoyed it so far. The quality of all of the Ultimate titles seems to be consistently high so far.

My local comic shop guy tells me that an Ultimate Iron Man mini-series is coming out in the summer as a prequel to the first Ultimates series. Should be good.

Personally I'd quite like to see a mini-series based around Cap's WW2 adventures.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I really like the Ultimates. It's not my favorite comic, but it's one that I'll gladly get the compiled books of as soon as they come out.

"Two Ph.D.s, and all you could think of was the spring break special?"

Rigil Kent

First Post
I like the series a lot, particularly the realistic edge that runs through it, although I do wish the writer would ditch his anti-military crap that he keeps inserting. The scene in the first series that immediately springs to mind is during the uber-battle in which Iron Man gives a kid the thumbs up and returns to the battle and the military punks just shove the kid to the ground.

For no reason. I am ex-military (infantry, to be precise) and you don't do this sort of crap. Ever.

I also got into an argument at my FLGS which doubles as the comic store regarding the Ultimate Captain America; the guy in question hated that the Ultimate version isn't the Paladin we've become accustomed to in the core continuity and that he is just too "jingoistic" (his words. Never met anyone who actually used jingoistic in a sentence before... :D .) My point (which I think he finally conceded) is that this version is more believable considering his actual origins. 1940s soldiers WOULD be jingoistic...

Heck, if Marvel ever did an Ultimates movie, they've got the script pretty much down. That opening scene in the first issue (first volume) would be totally awesome on the big screen. Of course, the presence of the Hulk could cause problems unless they just sort of ignored the Eric Bana flick.

So what is the general consensus regarding the Ultimate Thor? Is he actually the Thunder God or a really powerful mutant? I can't see them changing him too much from the established continuity so I'm voting Thunder God.

Can't wait to see the Ultimate Vision...

ddvmor

I'm a little teapot!
Rigil Kent said:
Heck, if Marvel ever did an Ultimates movie, they've got the script pretty much down.

And the cast, apparently.

I can't see them clearing Thor's 'issues' up anytime soon. How much fun would it be if Loki turns up (which, lets face it - it looks like that's what they're setting us up for)and we're never quite sure if it's just Thor having a multiple personality moment or if he's really Thor's twin. I like the uncertainty - it adds to the coolness of his character.

As for the anti-military feel... it hadn't really made an impression on me, but you're right. Real soldiers don't generally behave like that.

Last edited:

DanMcS

Explorer
ddvmor said:
There aren't enough threads about comics on this board... so here's one!

Anyone read issue 2 of 'The Ultimates 2', here?

Wait, what is this "Ultimates 2"? Do you mean the second TPB, the one featuring the
alien invaders, Cap vs Giant Man,
and so on?

Or are there finally new issues coming out?

Because if so, you know,

[size=+2]GLEE![/size]

Remove ads