The United States of Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Good, most of my ancestors were the British variety of European. So there is a version of "us" that includes me, though it is rather larger than 65 million, ;) .

I don't know you, so I'm going on a limb when I say this but: nope. You're American. We do not include you in that 65 million.

That is a semantic game no one is going to win any points on. There is simply no straight comparison between the term American and European.

It was just a joke. I don't seriously think Argentina and Canada are the same place. Similarly, the UK, Russia, and Greece are not remotely similar.

I mean, calling us all Pan-Americans is comprehensible, but not popular.

Is it OK if I brand you all as "silly" for thinking so? Seriously, though, cultural identity is an issue of self-determination and *really* important. You can't look on from the outside and proffer opinion. Well, you can, but it holds no weight any more than my opinions on your culture do.

Last edited:

MechaPilot

Explorer
The right to self-determination. And more importantly, the principle that you *never* allow someone to invade you, for any reason.

Would you defend Alaska if Canada or Russia said "hey, it's next to us, so it logically belongs to us"?

I'd probably let Canada have it, then take it back after they fixed up the place.

Kaodi

Hero
I don't know you, so I'm going on a limb when I say this but: nope. You're American. We do not include you in that 65 million.
Not in the 65 million with British citizenship. Rather in the 65+ with heritage that is English, Scottish, Welsh, et cetera. I think of my ancestors as European. If British is not European, then English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish, Manx (and Channel Islander?) are not European. So I would be mistaken about my ancestors if they were not European. But they are.

Also, calling a Canadian an American is like calling a New Zealander an Aussie, and neither of those cases are like calling Brits Europeans. When you call a Brit European you are not mistaking or negating their Britishness. No one is mistaking you for a Frenchman or a Grecian or a Russian when they call you European. But call a Canadian or New Zealander one of those things to his face and it is only logical to assume that the person in question is mistaken about where you are from.

Is it OK if I brand you all as "silly" for thinking so?
I did not mean popular as in approved of but rather as widespread in this case, so I would actually totally accept being called silly for objecting to be called Pan-American.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The right to self-determination. And more importantly, the principle that you *never* allow someone to invade you, for any reason.

Would you defend Alaska if Canada or Russia said "hey, it's next to us, so it logically belongs to us"?

Alaska has a significant store of mineral and biological resources. We make no bones about it.

Now, the Falklands are (hopefully) sitting on a lot of oil. That would be a reason to hang on to them.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Alaska has a significant store of mineral and biological resources. We make no bones about it.

Now, the Falklands are (hopefully) sitting on a lot of oil. That would be a reason to hang on to them.

Would you defend Alaska if it had no resources?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Edit: never mind. Not worth it. I'm finding myself irritated, which is not a good reason to post.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads