D&D General The Unofficial Settings You Want Published for D&D

Aldarc

Legend
What are your favorite unofficial settings of D&D that you wish would WotC would publish? (Note: Your personal homebrew world not included.) These aren't old settings that have been published in full form before but not yet in 5e (e.g., Spelljammer, Dark Sun, Planescape). I am talking about unofficial settings that may be the personal homebrew settings of WotC/TSR staff (e.g., like Monte Cook's Ptolus) and/or settings that have limited publication but which never got full publication as a fully-realized setting with a sourcebook (e.g., snippets of Iomandra in Dragon Magazine).

For me:
  • James Wyatt's Aquela
  • Chris Perkins's Iomandra

Aquela and Iomandra are both settings focused on more oceanic worlds with sailing, archipelagos, and island-hopping adventure. A good island-hopping setting would be absolutely fantastic, IMHO, for D&D, and both of these setting scratch that itch for me. Iomandra, in particular, is a fantastic spin on the 4e base setting. With its heavy focus on dragons, it would also be a great setting to draw out the First World echoes and draconic themes of the latest Fizban's Treasury of Dragons book.

Aldarc

Legend
Nentir Vale.
I wasn't sure whether to include that or not. It's been published in pieces here and there, including the 4e DMG 1, and a lot of the World Axis fluff in the source books also applied to the setting. It's even listed as a D&D setting on the D&D Settings wiki. However, it's never really had a full-blown sourcebook, though it was supposed to get one before 4e was canned, so it sits in a bit of a nebulous state that's between official and unofficial. That said, would I love a published sourcebook for the Nentir Vale / Nerath for 5e? Absolutely!*

* With the right people working on it (e.g., Rich Baker, James Wyatt, Chris Perkins) and some people far away from it (e.g., Mearls).

pming

Legend
Hiya!

I think I'm going to go with:

Aarenis

That's the world/area from the "Deed of Paksenarrion" books by Elizabeth Moon. I'm still on the 2nd book, I put it down a LONG time ago and never got back...and left it at work, where I don't anymore. :( I really got connected to Paks in the first book and loved how the world "felt". It felt like a good setting pretty much built for 1e AD&D. I swear it must have been...the parallels are just too good.

The "world" is a small section of the larger whole in the book(s?), but it has just the right amount of info, without going into hyper-detail like the FR or Middle Earth....enough to poke my imagination, but not so much that what I imagine is constantly getting written over by "more official detail". If Aarenis was handled this way, pretty much like the World of Greyhawk Folio, I'd be ALL in! :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I don't know it's name, but I really liked the articles describing the world that the Wizard's of the Coast founders played D&D in.

There is literally an organization there called "The Wizards of the Coast." And it's from where a lot of the first MTG characters are pulled from.

pming

Legend
PS: Honorable Mention would go to:

(The World of) GLORYHAMMER

It's a 'fantasy metal band'. Hit Youtube, look them up, enjoy! :)

Of course this setting would HAVE to use the DCC RPG game system. Heck, I might even have to start basing my DCC games (if I ever get to run one again... :( ) in the "Terrorverse". Fit's right in with the whole "Sorcerous Fantasy ScFi" vibe!

Paul

Remove ads