The Untamed Wilds: Electric Skies

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Once back in the car, Trollick exclaims, "Wow! I was not expecting that much noise. I shook that whole room. I just figured out that I could do that trick. Sure came in handy."

Trollick scratches his beard and false starts a few times before continuing to speak. "That Towers has to be one sick chicky. Extortion is one thing, but that bitch is involved in depravity that I cannot ignore. Screw her. Hawkeye, you should see if you can find some video or audio on the rape and murder of that official's extended family and let us drop it off anonymously with some other HPD. They'll make sure she gets hers."
OOC: Note: The latest maintenance added a Nanny reader program to edit out adult language. I had to change my dialogue to get rid of the smiley faces it added.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Hawkeye Considers The Options

Hawkeye nods, "I don't hold any grudges against HPD. A corrupt police force is not exactly a new concept. But at some point, corruption bleeds over into the deviant and the depraved; and THAT'S where I draw the line. When a dog goes rabid, you put it down. That's what needs to happen to Towers. Hell, after we tell HPD, I wouldn't say no if they asked US to take care of it. I can't think of anyone who needs a bullet more than Towers."

Turning to Trollick, Hawkeye adds, "I'll see what footage I can find. I'll check the family's security cams, to see if I can find anything, but I'd be willing to bet that Towers wiped 'em clean. But Towers herself might have something useful. The only problem is, whatever footage she might have is probably on a secure LOCAL network, that isn't on the net. We'd probably need to get inside her house, or at least VERY CLOSE to it, in order to be able to find a way in. I doubt she'd keep anything on her HPD work computer, because if they found it, the jig would be up. Another possibility is that she put it on a stick or a disc, but if she did that, she'd need to either keep it on her person, or well-hidden somewhere in the analog world. Safe deposit boxes aren't safe, the companies always snoop hidden data to protect their own a$$. She'd have to hide it old-school, like in a pizza box in the freezer or something cliche like that... Nah. She's probably keeping it on her own local network. I know the type. She feels safe at home."

Hawkeye will also ask Shatterframe the following: "Pinkins and Glitterface... how well did you know them? If those cretins saved footage of their deviant acts, where would they keep it? If they have copies of anything, it will probably be easier to get it that way, rather than going on-site against Tower's residence. They seem like a couple of low-lifes. Maybe they made a stupid mistake that we can exploit? I'd be willing to bet that THEIR network isn't local. I might be able to find their stuff from here. So what can you tell me, SF?"

Waynan

Adventurer
Syd listens to all this and says to Hawkeye:

"You might want to check direct HPD files on Towers herself, Hawkeye. Mainly her comings and goings in HPD. I think you'll find some moments where she was "off the grid", but then conveniently showed up at the crime scene, sort of "out of the blue. Hell, you might find she was frequently the first on the scene. And if that's the case, we may have just killed our best evidence against her. Hey, don't look so surprised. I learned a thing or two in Juvee."

Then he says to Trollick:
"I like that trick or spell or whatever you call it, up there. That s-S-t-H-u-I-f-T-f was the bomb."

He then says to Shatterframe:

"If you could drop me off at my crib, I'll get on my ride and talk to some of my go-ganger chums and do a little detective work yakuza style. None of these people we just whacked were low profile. Maybe there's more than just the word your finding. No offense; but the underworld has info gathering techniques that technology may miss." He says this last bit while pounding his right fist into his left hand.

Last edited:

MacConnell

...He then says to Shatterframe:

"If you could drop me off at my crib, I'll get on my ride and talk to some of my go-ganger chums and do a little detective work yakuza style. None of these people we just whacked were low profile. Maybe there's more than just the word your finding. No offense; but the underworld has info gathering techniques that technology may miss." His says this last bit while pounding his right fist into his left hand.
Trollick adds, "That gives me an idea. I have only established one real contact and it is for the purpose of magic, but Obrik or his outfit may know something or offer a direction to start. I should fit in with druids no problem. I will start there."

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Weekly post: 10xp (for seeking justice instead of moving on)
Balancing the Scales

Through the car audio system Shatterframe tells the Runners, “If the two slimeballs made a copy of their misdeeds it wouldn’t be in the VR main servers. If it was, HPD could find it and pull it. They have dedicated VR manipulators, some of the best in the city. The proof you’re hunting would be stored on a private server, cut off from the rest of the VR. Low life creeps like Pinkins and Glitterface wouldn’t really have the kind of credit to set up a private server, but the Dead Lions would. I think what you’re looking for is in the possession of Scarlet Pips since that would let him own Towers like a pet instead of just paying her for favors.”

Obrik, who is still in the sedan with you, says, “If you can get the proof of Towers’ cover-up you can give it to Lieutenant Fawbreu. He’s her second in command, but he has a reputation as an honest officer, which is why he’s over sixty years old and still a lieutenant.” He turns to Trollick. “I can introduce you to the senior members of my order. They would be very interested to hear what you have to say about the Dead Lions.”

Thus armed with information, the Runners split and make their separate investigations.

[Sblock=Hawkeye VR Manipulation] Hawkeye: 23+70(d100)=93, Anonymous User: 30+63(d100)=93 [/Sblock]
Logging into the VR Hawkeye discovers that an anonymous user is following him. It takes all his skill to lose the tail and he finds out nothing else, not even who the user was.

[Sblock=Trollick Persuasion] Trollick:70+87(d100)+25(Obrik introduction)=182 [/Sblock]
Trollick and Obrik Shadowstep travel to a skyscraper with an extravagant garden on the roof. Amid gravel walkways, clear pools of fresh water, and more species of plants and flowers than Trollick knew existed, Obrik introduces him to a high-level member of Bright Leaf Society, an elf named Janice of the Pines. She has a long braid of dark hair, red-brown skin, and clear blue eyes. Although her thin lips give no smile, she bows in respect to Trollick and listens to his tale. Trollick keeps it simple since he knows Bright Leaf Society and the Dead Lions are already enemies. When the Runners discover where the private server is located, Janice agrees to attack the Dead Lions with her order to give the Runners a chance to collect their evidence and remove a corrupt officer from the HPD.

[Sblock=Syd Persuasion] Syd: 75+67(d100)=142, Go Ganger: 40+72(d100)=112 [/Sblock]
Syd Vicious seeks out some of his old gang contacts and asks about the Dead Lions private servers without giving away what he’s looking for. After asking around discreetly for a few hours he finally talks to Mickey Spangler, a VR Freelancer that works for magic based gangs. After some strong arm negotiations he gets the address for the Dead Lions private server on Hwy 288, only a few blocks from the fighting arena.

State intentions on how to proceed

MacConnell

OOC: Post #115: Awarded 10. Total 13. Spent 6 to raise Confluence to 7. Spent 6 to raise Aberrative to 7. Saved 1.

Over a few drink with his friends Trollick offers some ideas. "Syd, since you were able to find a location for us, we should check out this structure and see if there is some outside location where Hawkeye can do a hard patch and hack into the sever. If we have to go inside, we are going to need to do some recon and learn where the server room may be located and what kind of security we are dealing with. If we have to make a run on the building, I will contact Obrik. His people have offered to run interference."

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Hawkeye says, "If we can get physically into the building, we don't actually need to be in the server room itself. I just need to be able to access the building's internal network. Any network jack will suffice."

OOC: Spent 11 pts. to raise BASE Commercial skill from 5 to 7. With the VR bonus, that means that Hawkeye's ADJUSTED Commercial skill is now 10. But I did not give him the 1 pt. in the next higher skill, because he hasn't achieved a "true" 10 rating yet. (See character sheet for details.)

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Hawkeye reflects further, "Way manipulation can fool electronic detection, if the practitioner is adept at his craft. I wonder if any of Obrik's order are good enough with Way to get us onsite at Pip's residence, without being detected? If we can get onsite, that's when I can ply my trade. That's when I have a chance to dig up all of the skeletons. Who knows? Ol' Pippy might also have other files we could use, evidence of other crimes and perpetrators, etc. But first, we have to get onsite. We should also look for / be wary of Way-based security measures as well; being a Necromancer, I'm sure that Ol' Pippy probably has a few."

Last edited:

Waynan

Adventurer
"While you two are doing that," Syd interjects, "I think I'll head out ahead of you and go to the fight club. Enough Go-gangs hang out there, and if I wear my colors for the Hudu Krew, I might be able to discreetly surveil these Dead Lions again and see what they're up to. Might even find more connections at street level that may be deeper in the shadows than VR checks can reveal."

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Weekly post: 2xp

Hunting Dead Lions
[Sblock=Syd Disguise] Syd: Obscurative+Analysis: 44+79(d100)=123 [/Sblock]
Syd Vicious pulls out his old Hudu Krew outfit, fashions a disguise from his street knowledge and heads out to surveil the fight club. The building is just as dark as he remembers it and this time he goes through the main entrance. After paying the entry fee and placing a bet to keep up appearances, he finds a seat near the top and settles down to watch. In the fighting pit there is an aquatic battle between a huge snake and alligator, both creatures look as though they could swallow a human whole with little effort. He claps and cheers with the rest of the crowd but mostly watches the security for the show. They wear all black outfits with no identifying marks and carry the sticks that the Runners faced before on the balcony. He sees at least a dozen other go-gang’s present but no Hudu Krew so he feels as though his cover is secure.

Suddenly Syd is surrounded by eight people that seem to step out of the shadows. Those that were seated close to him only glance at the newcomers and find other seats. No one else in the arena even looks in their direction and the fight continues with the snake wrapping up the gator amidst wild thrashing. The sound from the crowd and the fight drops off, leaving an area of silence with Syd and the other eight who glare at him with open hostility.

Hopelessly outnumbered, Syd casually looks around at the newcomers and asks, “Problem, chums?”

The group is a mix of races, a couple of orcs, a giant, three elves and two humans. Seven of the eight are dressed similarly in black robes with a holographic rotting lion skull on their chests. The eighth, a short human with dark skin and long black dredlocks is dressed in a cloak made from a lions pelt, with the mane as the hood. The suit he wears underneath is scarlet with a gold chain around his neck with a large medallion bearing a similar image of the rotting lion skull.

He grins with gold teeth and says, “I’m Scarlet Pips. You’re bold, coming back here. Think we wouldn’t recognize you if you changed your clothes? We got ways of knowing who people are that go way past disguises or even VR. Show this fool something.”

One of the orcs with a bright pink ponytail holds a small screen in front of Syd’s face. On it he can clearly see Enforcer 2, the woman the Runners captured and intimidated into informing on the Dead Lions, lying naked in a circle of runes. While some figures clothed in the Dead Lions robes stand outside the circle and chant in a strange language, Syd can see the woman’s skin begin to peel off without anyone touching her. She screams in agony and the orc shuts the screen off and puts it away.

Scarlet says, “That’s an old video. She’s already gone. We used what was left of her to feed the gator before this fight. You and your partners took out Glitterface and Pinkins. I don’t care, I already got what I wanted from them, but why are you still in my business? This is a sweet setup. You think three Runners are going to bust in here and crack it open? Listen, you do jobs, so I got one for you. That other little bastich that was with you, Obrik, I want you to kill him and bring me his head back here as an apology gift. Do that and all is forgiven. Interfere with my business again and you might end up in that punishment circle, if you live that long.”

Scarlet Pips steps back and fades into the shadows. Once he’s gone the other seven do the same and the noise from the arena comes rushing back to Syd’s ears. In the fight pit the gator is mashing the head of the anaconda in his jaws and though the snake still thrashes around, it’s clear this fight is done.
Syd looks around but no one else in the arena is looking at him or acting as though anything out of the ordinary happened. He collects his winnings at the kiosk, allowing him to break even from the entry fee, and leaves the arena.

[Sblock=Hawkeye VR] Hawkeye: 23+33(d100)=56 [/Sblock]
Trollick and Hawkeye investigate the location of the Dead Lions private server. At the address they find a skyscraper of course, and the bottom floor is Pips Pet Shop. They go inside to investigate and find that the expansive shop is like an ordinary pet relocation facility. There are dogs, cats, birds, fish, reptiles, and arachnids along with all the feed, storage, and other accessories that go along with pet adoption. When Hawkeye slips into VR he finds he can access the regular pet shop site but that the subterranean levels are blocked from VR access.

[Sblock=Trollick Astral] Trollick: 37+63(d100)=100 [/Sblock]
Trollick decides to investigate the under levels in the Astral Plane but finds they are shielded from magical intrusion. The only way into the subterranean area is through the Hard Realm.

You have discovered the secret lair of the Dead Lions.

State intentions for how to proceed.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases