• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Unusual Heroes Reborn

Dartan

First Post
No....you can't kill Lox he doesn't mean any harm.....his priorties are just a little different from other members of the party.......No your right you should of taken one of those mind blades and done him in.....Poor Lox.

Ziona

First Post
Oh, go easy on Lox. He may be mischievous, but I'm not sure he knows any better. Still, I fear he may find himself behind bars, (or worse), if he continues on his hasty, roguish path. He must learn to think before he acts or reacts, not only for his own sake, but for the sake of the party.

His dream is to be in a famous adventuring party. I pray to Eilistraee that he lives long enough to see that dream come true!

Last edited:

Ziona

First Post
Black Armor

“How are we ever going to scale this wall? We’re trapped,” said Veerdra helplessly to Venus.

“Fear not, Milady. We will find a way out of this pit,” he reassured her.

“Well, anyone with a grappling hook can scale a wall,” said Prynne as she reached into her pack.

“Your rope isn’t nearly long enough,” said Dent. “It will take much more than that.”

Dent began collecting rope from each person, and then they tied the ropes end to end. When they were finished, Prynne began swinging her grappling hook. She let it glide through the air until it reached the top of the cliff. However, when she gave it a tug, it came soaring back down.

“That’s odd,” said Dent. “The wall seems slick…there is nothing for the grappling hook to catch on.”

“We’ll see about that,” said Prynne reaching back into her pack. She pulled out a climbing kit and smirked as she attempted to scale the wall. However, before she could even pull herself up from the ground entirely, she slid back down to the ground.

“Ridiculous!” she growled.

Suddenly, the party flinched as they heard glass shattering. They turned to see a gooey substance splayed across the wall.

“Sorry to startle you,” said Lox. “But maybe if we cover the walls in this sticky, glue stuff from these vials we can crawl up the wall.”

“Silly halfling,” laughed Belasco. “Don’t you understand that if the glue were that strong you would be stuck?”

But suddenly Belasco was struck with an idea.

“But if the glue would actually hold…” he mumbled. “Prynne, give me your grappling hook.”

Prynne handed over her hook and watched as Belasco covered it with goo from one of the vials. He then swung it as gracefully as Prynne had a moment ago, but this time the grappling hook found purchase at the top of the cliff.

“Go ahead,” gloated Belasco. “Give it a tug. It should hold and allow each of us to climb to the top.”
“What are we waiting for,” grumbled Nuttin. “Let’s get goin’.”

One by one the group climbed the rope and reached the top. However, wandering below them they could hear “Ullgh…wwlllrrghhh…wwwuuullllhhhh…”

Lox looked to Dent with sorrow in his eyes.

“We can’t just leave him here, Dent,” he protested. “He needs to be freed, too!”

Dent just looked down at the Splekcle, then began climbing back down.

“Whoo-hoo!” cried Lox.

When Dent reached the bottom, he did his best to tie the rope around the creature without it thrashing about too much. It was a rough climb back to the top, but he made it eventually, and Venus helped him pull the hairy Spleckle to the top. All it said in return was “Ullgh…wwlllrrghhh…wwwuuullllhhhhh.”

Once everyone was ready, the party moved forward into a short hallway. Lox checked the door at the end of the hall for traps. Once they were disarmed and the door was unlocked, Dent opened the door and the rest of the party followed closely behind.

The room they entered was very spacious, with a light gray carpet on the floor. The paintings on the walls were visible because of a dull white light that permeated the room. Each party member noticed the ceiling, from which hung a multifaceted crystal hanging on a long, sturdy chain. There were eight pillars in the room, with a painting on every side. The pictures almost seem to move at times, which was obviously a trick of the odd lighting in the room.

As the party entered, they began spreading out to inspect the paintings and the room. Mar and Elmond stayed at the entrance with their hairy ally, while Hrolga and Cryenna followed Belasco. Veerdra followed closely at Venus’s side, while Prynne, Nuttin, and Lox spread out.

Dent approached the pillar in the front left-hand corner and began looking at one of the paintings. It was set in a gold and platinum frame, and depicted a lovely birch tree with silver, amber, and violet colored crystals intermixed with it’s leaves. In front of the tree sat a copper bottle with a large, yellow gem for a stopper.

“Looks so real,” he muttered as he reached toward the bottle. His fingers actually felt the cool copper bottle, and as he pulled his hand away, the bottle fell from the painting and clattered on the floor.

“Look here,” he called out to the group. “I touched the bottle in the painting, and it became real.”

“Amazing,” said Belasco. The painting he was peering at was set in a silver frame and depicted a great black armored fighter with a huge metallic mace. He heard Dent’s words and reached out to touch the mace. As he did, the fighter in black armor jolted to life and sprang from the painting. Cryenna gave a short cry as she leapt out of the fighter’s way, leaving Belasco to battle the warrior on his own.

Meanwhile, Nuttin stood looking at a painting framed in black iron. The painting showed many amorphous black, inky blobs that seemed to wriggle and move about. As he walked closer, the word “GREVLYN” appeared on the painting.

“Grevlyn? Hmmm…”

He reached out and felt the painting, and the top part of the frame dislodged, revealing a hidden compartment. When he reached into the compartment, he pulled forth a cold iron ring.

Once he took the ring, he moved to the other side of the pillar where he saw a picture framed by silver serpents. The canvas showed five different eyes. The first was off-white with an olive pupil and red veins. Next to it was a black eye with a mauve center. Below that was a dull yellow colored eye, which oozed a purple substance from it’s brown pupil. To the left of the oozing eye was a pink eyeball with no pupil. However, it had porcupine quills for lashes. The final eye was bulbous and tan with a black center.

“Don’t wanna touch the drippy eye…that’s just gross….” mumbled Nuttin to himself. “Don’t wanna get poked by the porcupine eye…hmmm…what about the big one…”

Nuttin reached out and poked at the bulbous tan and black eye, and into his hand dropped a smooth tiger’s eye gem.

“Very nice,” he smiled.

“I could use some assistance here,” boomed Belasco’s voice around the large room.

From around the corner came Hrolga with a longsword in hand. In a moment she was at Belasco’s side, fighting the black armored warrior.

At the other side of the room stood Prynne. She looked at several paintings, but decided she had not seen any that looked interesting enough to touch. Then she saw the painting of the insane, yet regal looking man. The man sat on a throne and wore a silver and gold crown, which was set with rubies, emeralds and sapphires. In his left hand he possessed a silver scepter, while in his right hand he held a black orb.

On further inspection of the ebony frame, Prynne found three buttons. Deciding she wanted the crown on the man’s head, she took a chance and pushed the middle button, but nothing happened. She decided to push the first button, but again nothing happened.

“One more,” she muttered. She reached up and pressed the third button, which made a twangy sort of sound. Alarmed by what sounded like a trap, she tumbled away from the painting and stood up safely a few feet away. She did not see a crown lying on the floor, but she did notice that the tile she had been standing on was spouting water. As she slowly approached the painting again, she saw a large pin embedded into the wall. Then suddenly, a rumbling could be heard coming from the wall the painting hung on, and a bright spark of light sprang forth from the wall.

“Oh my,” she stammered. “That would have been quite a shock.”

Back near the entrance, Dent had pulled the yellow gem out of the copper bottle. By this time, Lox was eager to see what Dent had found, and had managed to pocket the yellow gem.

Dent leapt back as smoke began to billow from the bottle and formed into a djinni.
“Greetings, my master. How may I serve you?”

“Wow! A djinni,” cried Lox. “Can you grant me any wish I want?”

“I have a limited service, my Master. I am the only being capable of entering the painting.”

“That’s it? I thought you could grant wishes and stuff,” said Lox disappointedly.

“Yeah, I thought djinni’s had many different powers,” said Dent.

“I am the only being capable of entering the painting,” said the djinni gruffly.

“What good is that?”

“Well, Dent there are shiny leaves on that tree,” said Lox.

“Okay, djinni. Enter the painting and bring out the gems in the tree,” said Dent.

“Very well, my Master.”

The djinni entered the painting and plucked the gems from the branches of the tree. Once he collected them all, he came back and handed the armful to Dent.

“They’re shiny, Dent,” said Lox, “but I don’t think they’re real gems.”

“You’re right, Lox,” Dent huffed. “These aren’t worth anything. Djinni, create an animal to fight at my side. Better yet, help me get to Belasco and help me fight with him.”

“I cannot create animals,” said the djinni insulted. “I can enter the painting if you wish, but I cannot fight for you. Besides, you are the one with the axe!”

“This djinni is no fun,” said Lox. “I thought djinni’s could fly and make you fly and grant wishes and give you treasure. He’s boring!”

“You are of no use to us, djinni,” said Dent. “You are free to go.”

“Free to go? I am quite useful, actually. You are just too much of a buffoon to understand!”

“Be gone,” growled Dent. “You cannot be of service to us.”

“I cannot leave unless you place the stopper back in my copper bottle,” said the djinni.

Dent looked around for the stopper, and eyed Lox suspiciously.

“Lox, do you have the yellow gem?”

“Yellow gem? You have a yellow gem? Can I see it?”

“Oh, this is unbelievable,” muttered the djinni. “First you are too ignorant to put my services to use, now you insipid creatures have lost my stopper.”

“Enough!” yelled Dent. The ranger threw the copper bottle across the room where it split in two against the far wall.

“Now look what you’ve done,” shouted the djinni. “Silly creatures…”

Dent began looking about the room for Belasco when he noticed another painting. The painting was surrounded by a frame of bronze and depicted three husky warriors in bronze. The first held a sword, the second held a javelin, and the third had a green bow. Dent reached for the short sword, and pulled it from the painting easily. Next, he grabbed the bow, followed by the javelin. Since nothing else seemed to happen with the painting he continued across the room looking for Belasco.

Hrolga was still fighting at Belasco’s side, but was injured. Belasco was using his spiked chain to keep the warrior at a distance, but he was closing in on them fast. The armored warrior lunged forward and bashed Hrolga against the wall, knocking her unconscious. Belasco tried to tumble away from the warrior, but was not able to get out of his reach fast enough. The mace connected with Belasco’s shoulder and knocked him to the floor. He vaguely remembered hearing Dent’s voice calling out to him when he lost consciousness.

During this time, Venus and Veerdra had been inspecting paintings on their own. They had looked at several that did not seem to move, or had no effect when touched. They came upon the painting of seven hands around the time Prynne had.

“Odd painting,” said Prynne.
The painting was surrounded by a frame of malachite, and showed seven distinct hands. The first hand was clawed and embroiled in flames, while the second was a mummified hand. The third was a black hand, the fourth was a skeletal hand, and the fifth was a hand in a bronze gauntlet. The sixth was a wooden hand banded with iron. Finally, the seventh was a nasty hand dripping with greenish ichor.

“We have had no luck with any of the paintings we’ve encountered,” said Venus.

“I have only seen one spring into action,” said Prynne, “and it was only a trap.”

“Let’s move on then,” said Venus. “This one does not look as though it has anything of value, anyway.”

As the three began to walk by the painting, the arms reached out for them! The black hand grabbed Prynne’s long brown braid and violently tugged her backward. Venus reacted quickly, however, and used his scimitar to slash at the black hand. The hand let go of the thick braid and retreated into the painting again.

“Hideous,” murmured Veerdra, casting a dark look at Prynne. “We should continue moving along.”

“Yes, Milady,” said Venus obediently.

Prynne flicked her braid over her shoulder and followed behind them. The three heard a wail and began to run towards the ruckus. When they arrived, they found Belasco and Hrolga on the ground, Dent firing arrows and Lox shuffling though Belasco’s pack.

Venus shouted his battle cry and ran forward with his scimitar in hand. Veerdra simply backed up and checked on Hrolga. Prynne took out her swords and tumbled into the fray.

Lox was busy looking through Belasco’s pack, searching for something to help his fallen friend. He found a potion and took off the stopper. It made him think of the yellow gem stopper he had found on the floor, which made him giddy. He was about to reach into his pouch to check up on his yellow gem, when he remembered Belasco bleeding on the floor.

“I’ll see to my gem later,” he thought.

He looked at Belasco, and a sudden excitement came over him. He would finally get to touch Belasco’s interesting black mask! Better yet, he would get to see Belasco’s hideous scars that he hides behind the interesting black mask! What fun!

Lox reached out for the mask and slowly pulled it aside to see what horrible battle scars his mysterious friend might have. But, it turned out Belasco had no scars…Belasco was hiding his face for a different reason altogether…

“Omigod…” breathed Lox.

He looked into Belasco’s face and was both intrigued and scared. His little halfling hands began to shake, and he realized that he still hadn’t given Belasco the healing potion. He looked over his shoulder and saw the rest of the group still fighting the black armored warrior. Looking back at Belasco, he shrugged and began administering the potion.

“I don’t care if you are a drow, Belasco,” he muttered nervously. “I’ll still give ya the healing potion…after all, it is your potion…who am I to say that all drow are evil, even though all drow are evil…I mean, some people say that halflings are awful creatures, too, but I know we’re not…”

“Quiet yourself, halfling…”

It seemed the healing potion was working, and the drow had regained consciousness. Belasco sat up slowly, and grabbed hold of Lox’s wrist. Lox swallowed nervously, but did not move in Belasco’s grasp. He simply looked into the eerie green eyes of the drow and remembered the threats of getting his digits removed if he ever touched Belasco’s mask. He wondered what was going to happen now.

“I am thankful that you were smart enough to administer the potion, halfling,” said Belasco wickedly, “but if you breathe a word of my secret to anyone, I will see to it that it is your last breath.”

Lox just nodded and wordlessly stumbled away from Belasco, who had fixed the mask back into place over his face. Behind him, Lox could hear Venus cheer as they defeated the fighter in the black armor.

The Adventure Continues…

Ziona

First Post
Everyone say Happy Birthday to Dartan!
It's it's one-hundred-and-eleventieth birthday on Sunday! :D
(Ah, Doc says that best when he's using his Bilbo voice)
We're having festivities tomorrow, (which will probably be worthy enough for it's own story hour knowing Dartan.)

Anyhow, Happy Bday Dartan! May Eilistraee grant you many more!

Remove ads