D&D 4E The Usage of the Non-Sequitur "4e is a Tactical Skirmish Game"

When a poster quips "4e is just a Tactical Skirmish Game" you reflexivelhy think

This is for 4e advocates only. This is a public poll.

I'm curious. On the internet, when someone quips "4e is <just/merely> a <glorified or other> Tactical Skirmish Game", what do you think the intent is by the user?

The purpose of this poll is to gather information on if, in the eyes of the userbase, this is a potentially constructive angle of pursuit within dialogue or if it is reflexively off-putting to the point that it is destructive to dialogue. Therefore, I want the percentage of people who think its in "good faith" and/or constructive (choice 1) versus "bad faith" (choice 2 through 4). Pick just one (yes, I know multiple may apply but I just want "reflexive first thought" and I don't want the evaluation to be muddled through multiple choice.

Finally, yes, I know that people can just ignore the statement or detach their feelings. There is always conflict resolution to any problem that puts the locus of control within the confines of the "receiver's behavior." That is orthogonal to the issue at hand here.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Generally- and I have seen one poster who is an exception- it's edition warring and denigrating to 4e and its fans. It's pretty much the same as saying "It's not D&D".

Dalamar

Adventurer
I've personally used it when comparing editions to highlight 4e's high points. But then, I was talking with people who liked 4e as well as previous editions

I've personally used it when comparing editions to highlight 4e's high points. But then, I was talking with people who liked 4e as well as previous editions

I suspect then, it was well understood that you were not saying "4e is <just/merely> a Tactical Skirmish Game." If that is indeed the case, as it appears to be, then it does not map to the question in the head post. I apologize if that was unclear. I thought it was implied. If enough people think its unclear, I will revise it.

On another, amusing note, this is the primary reason why my posts run so long - a painful attempt to project what people might need clarification on and or what people might want to pick apart in bad faith.

I suspect then, it was well understood that you were not saying "4e is <just/merely> a Tactical Skirmish Game." If that is indeed the case, as it appears to be, then it does not map to the question in the head post. I apologize if that was unclear. I thought it was implied. If enough people think its unclear, I will revise it.

On another, amusing note, this is the primary reason why my posts run so long - a painful attempt to project what people might need clarification on and or what people might want to pick apart in bad faith.

This is the Internet...its unclear and needs to be explicit.

That being said, "just merely" implies negative connotations in itself making this poll a moot question.

4e is excellent as a tactical skirmish game. However it is like any other rpg and you can make it as big or as little as you like.

Regarding edition wars, imagine how nice it would be if everyone assumed the others were posting in good faith and are simply stating their perspective?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Shadeydm

First Post
My suggestion would be ignore it. It's only a big deal if you take it to heart and decide its personal attack instead of one persons view/opinion. I play 4E and enjoy doing so. Yet I view it as a system that caters to a super heroes with super powers playstyle. It doesn't mean i don't think you can play it other ways. It doesn't mean I don't think that its a valid or fun playstyle. It surely doesn't mean I am right and most importantly its not a personal attack on anyone.

My advice? Keep calm and carry on.

Pour

First Post
Well, for starters, my opinion of the poster immediately drops when they resort to it. If they continue, I usually add them to my ignore list. I usually end up ignoring those 'armchair warriors', too, you know, the ones not willing to claim it themselves for fear of reprisal or banning, but sort of latch on to one of these outspoken individuals and support them with faulty logic, only to vanish when it gets too dicey. They actually grind my gears even more. From a public eye, we all shake our head at the obvious falseness of the one decrying 4e nothing more than a skirmish game, but the ones who interject their subtle support using half-logic validate these people and end up slipping back into the forums for the next outburst. The loud detractor has anger or frustration as his excuse, but the armchair warriors have something I find much more venomous.

I voted the cause was more some sort of catharsis, but goading is a huge side effect. But catharsis has too many positive connotations to be used in this instance for me. It's ego stroking, it's displaced anger, it's selfish desire, it's close-minded, brutish, and done without a thought because

1. This is the internet and we'll never see his or her face, thus manners and accountability are apparently out the window for some.

2. He or she knows there's other haters out there, somehow making his claim right, a self-validating thing. Because of this, the person might actually think he or she is right.

3. There's certain prerequisite for when this stuff appears, when a person feels threatened. It happened in 2008, it happened all throughout 4e's lifespan as the edition generated actual fans with different views, and it's happening now with the advent of 5e, the idea that the new edition will incorporate all D&D, and the fear and loathing of including something they don't want.

My advise would be to offer what actual discussion and opposition you can, and utterly ignore the armchair warriors. If the outspoken individual will not back off, then leave it alone. Rest assured for everyone posting, there's as many if not more reading, and we don't agree with these extremists.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Personally, I find that sort of phrasing - and its inbred relatives - to be deliberate trolling. That's fine on RPG.net but I hope it's stomped on really hard by the mods here.

Remove ads