• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The VCH list (Very Common Houserules)

1) Max HP at every level
2) Max Gold at Character Creation

From the list at the top:

7. Keen weapon quality and Improved Critical stack, giving an increase threat range. Normal: Keen weapon quality and Improved Critical do not stack

Most of the other ones I don't like (Diplomacy / Tumble as opposed checks) or I've never seen (Spell Focus for free).

-TRRW

Narsil

First Post
-Sorcerers with eschew materials, spellpoints and bonus feats.
-At 10th level, a Wizard, Cleric or Sorcerer can cast spontaneously any cantrip (or osiron) for a number of times per day equal to the typical max slots plus their int/wis/cha modifier. At 15th level, cantrips gain the effects of all metamagic feats for free. (This is mostly a 'flavour' thing based on the simplest building blocks of magic being much easier to use.)
-The Wizard is now an Arcane variant of the Archivist which has almost alll of the same skills, spells per day, etc.; but it substitutes the 'divine' for 'arcane' rules, and only learns wiz/sor spells for free. It can also learn bard, duskblade, warmage and other such arcane spells.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
1.) Dump ASF. (Either everybody has it or nobody has it and I'm not going to cripple clerics so it goes)
2.) Dodge as straight +1 AC bonus (who doesn't really)
3.) minimum HP per level is 1/2HD (those low rolls are killers)
4.) Keen and Improved Critical Stack
5.) Sorcerers get Free Eschew materials
6.) 1 and 20 are not autohit or automiss you still have to beat the required number for AC,etc...
7.) Multiclassing without XP penalties
8.) Paladins and Monks can multiclass freely

Flynn

First Post
While the following isn't standard for many, almost every group I play in uses it, so I thought I'd share it for those interested...

Healing Option: "Take What You Roll"

When a character rolls dice to determine the effects of a spell or power that heals hitpoint damage, such as a cure light wounds spell, the player has the option to review the die total. They may then elect to keep the results, or they may ask the DM to roll the dice instead. However, if the player pursues this second option, the character must take the result of the DM's roll, even if it is lower than the original total.

This rule reduces the negative impact of rolling very poorly on curative magics, without overly unbalancing the game.

Hope this helps,
Flynn

Flynn

First Post
Also, any class can choose to spend their zero-level spell slots on any zero-level spells they know, on the fly. Essentially, a caster does not prepare zero-level spells, but spontaneously casts them. This goes for Wizards, Clerics, Druids, etc. (This one came from a House Rules seminar at Gen Con in 2001 or 2002.)

Also, characters gain a number of bonus spell slots for zero-level spells due to ability scores equal to the number of bonus spell slots for first-level spells. (Just a house rule.)

Hope this helps,
Flynn

Angellis_ater

First Post
1. Characters die when they are at their CON score in negative HP.
2. All characters gain atleast ½ HD when rolling for hit points.
3. Sorcerors have Eschew Material as a free feat and gain a Bloodline feat at 1st,5th,10th,15th and 20th levels.
4. Dodge is +1 to AC overall, not against a particular enemy.
5. Free multiclassing (no xp-penalty, no restrictions for classes)
6. No alignment (either for classes, or at all)

Flynn

First Post
Another common variant is the RPGA hitpoint rule: Max at first level, and half of max of hit die, plus one, for each level thereafter: 3 for d4, 4 for d6, 5 for d8, 6 for d10 and 7 for d12. Thus, no rolling for hitpoints anymore, and the results are predictable and consistent for each combination.

In fact, a number of rule variants based on RPGA standards have come into existence, and they are widely practiced. (The RPGA is a pretty big organization, after all, and influences the non-RPGA games of those that participate.) They are definitely more common than many of those listed above.

So, when do we get an update on that list?

Hope this helps,
Flynn

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads