• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The very first time I DM'ed...

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I was fifteen when I started DMing, and the youngest player present. :p

No one else wanted to pick up the task after we booted our previous DM (for the crime of running a game for his best friend at the expense of the other players).

The first nine months I think I managed to make just about every possible mistake in GMing, from railroad plots to the pun filled dungeon. (The single exception was the Monty Haul dungeon, I have always been too tightfisted with treasure rather than too generous....) Then I started thinking about how the game setting fit together, and started down the long road of world building.

I sort of wish that I still had my notes on that very first world, I do know that some elements of it continue to resurface in my settings. The moment that I remember best from that first campaign was having a character hanged for killing an orc. The local baron had a treaty with the orcs, having a fair trial followed by an execution allowed him to show the orcs his willingness to enforce the treaty, and cost him nothing. Meanwhile the characters had murdered an unarmed orc, walking openly down the main road of the area... not trying to hide when he saw humans. I enjoyed playing the orc widow and orc orphan at the trial... :p

The Auld Grump

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads