The Waterdeep Adventures or Kobold Soup is good eatin!

spacehulkster

First Post
Hello. I am totally new to this phenom known as Story Hour. But I will try to entertain and enthrall you readers.
A little about myself. I live Champaign, Illinois and have played D&D for 25 years, off and on.
I currently run this campaign set in the Forgotten Realms. We play every other Saturday night and have about 10 players, whom I will introduce later.
I also play in Pogre's weekly Zandyrium campaign, his whenever "Met" modern game, in Hairy Minotaur's game (which is on hold), and just started playing in a SpellJammer campaign that has been going on for a year or more. You could say I enjoy version 3.5 and can't get enough! I have watched Pogre and Hairy Minotaur run and write their games for over a year now and they have inspired me to try my hand at this. I understand its time consuming, but I cannot contain the shenanigans that go on in my campaign.

Now the setting.....Forgotten Realms DR 1370 or so (pretty much up to speed)
The way I run my campaign is a jumbled mess of Dungeon Magazine, WotC adventures and boughten adventures. What ever looks cool, at what ever level the party is currently at kinda gig. So I should give thanks to all the people who write adventures. Somewhere down the line, I will use something of yours and tweek it to fit into my ongoing adventure line.

The Players....upto 10 at any one point. We have (2) 12 year old boys and (8) men ranging from 28 to 48 years of age

Vern Turan - Gnome Wizard - a bit eccentric, loud, brainy, and self appointed leader of the group. (I probably got his name wrong)

Milo - Halfling Cleric - quite, reserved, apprehensive and a bit unsure of himself and abilities(new player)

Pudge - Half-Orc Fighter - also quite, ready for action, the pack mule of the party.

Thalez - Elven Fighter - played by one of the boys, he cannot seem to make up his mind which weapon to use, sword or bow. As you will read, he spends many rounds in this dilema.

Valen - Elven Ranger - also played by one of the boys, jumps into the fray before he knows what is going on. Doesn't pay too much attention until battle starts!

Elric - Elven Rogue - (or Collector, as he does not like the word Thief or Rogue) played by my best friend, quite, ready to help out when needed, but doesn't volunteer to often. He is still working his skills up!

Felix - Pixie (not decided yet on class) - What can you say, very mischevious! Usually knows what to do at the right time. Played by a veteran gamer.

Carthax - Human Druid - not only the only Human, but an outdoorsy one at that!
He's gruff, decisive, impertenent and played to a tee by a veteran player.

Spud Wafflefry - Dwarven Fighter (what else!) Spud comes in later after the party as been in Waterdeep awhile. He is gruff, straight to the point, charges in, very dwarvy!

Now the NPC's...
Priestess Jenya - taken from Dungeon Magazines "Cauldron" series. Many Cauldron adventures will be used, but modified to fit into the FR setting.

Sebastian Silvermane - Half-Human/Half-Bugbear Swashbuckler/Rogue - boasterous, loud, obnoxious sailor. Think Wassabe only with more hair and bigger ears!
(My character when anyone in the group speaks up and want to run an adventure)

Well that takes care of the intoductions. When next I post, you will get to know these characters better.

Last edited:

spacehulkster

First Post
Strange Beginnings…

The White Stallion Coaching Inn was uneasily quite. Earlier the odd looking group of eight adventurers had interrupted the normalcy of the Inn. All had stared in shock and awe of the group. Were they rogues come to rob and murder them? Many of the men jumped to their feet and started to draw weapons, while the maidens ran behind obstacles to get furthest away from the entrance.

First to enter was a tall half-Orc, 3 Elves, a Halfling, a Pixie, Gnome, and what startled the patrons the most, a very large Orc. “Easy friends, we’re here for some good ale and rest, that’s all” piped the gnome. “Ale, my good innkeeper if you please. Three pitchers….no”, the gnome gave a glance back at the Orc, “4 pitchers please.” The Orc gave a nod in response.

“We don’t serve Orcs here, in fact I don’t think we’ll serve any of you’s.” came the Innkeepers response as he looked the group over reaching for his club under the bar. The gnome stepped forward, between the group and patrons, holding his hands up easily. “Good sir, we are quit harmless. Unless provoked of course.” He tilted his head back to look at the Orc and half-Orc, who were flexing their muscles and starting to go to their weapons. Meanwhile two of the wood elves had their bow and sword out pretending to examine them, looking up curiously at the patrons, almost inviting a fight.

The gnome’s head came back to the innkeeper, “The Orc there looks odd doesn’t he? He’s actually an Orog, from deep in the earth. His race is hardly ever seen and he’s my bodyguard. I am Vern Turan the wizard, a rock gnome from the Nether Mountains. We are traveling to Waterdeep to meet a friend. Rest and relaxation is all we ask.” Vern had started moving his hands while he spoke and a bouquet of flowers showered the bar as he finished talking. This was more than the pixie could handle and he burst out a laugh that eased everyone in the room. Even the Orog and elves laughed while putting their weapons away.

“Now sir, we are at your hospitality” Vern stated while bowing to a round of applause from the maidens in the inn. The group took seats at a large table in the corner of the room. Immediately the elves started playing dice. Both Dank and Pudge sat quietly drinking, eyeing the patrons with sneers, keeping the patrons purposely on edge. A game of intimidation they liked to play. Felix the pixie, Milo the Halfling and Vern talked easily with other patrons.

“So, where you all from?” asked the Innkeeper as he plopped down seven flagons and 4 pitchers of ale.

Vern stood and motioned to each member, “This is Milo from Everlund. Felix, Elric and his two younger cousins Thalez and Valen are from the High Forest. Pudge is from the Nether Mountains and Dank and I are from UNDER the Nether Mountains.” Each raised their flagon, (Dank a whole pitcher) to the Innkeeper in response. “We’re in search of adventure and Pudge here has a friend in Waterdeep that wrote to him of great opportunities there.” The innkeeper just shook his head yes, wondering to himself “this group doesn’t have a chance in Waterdeep!”

The doors burst open a short time later.

Dank, the Orog, started the campaign with us, but will leave a short time later. We do not know if he will return. :confused:

Last edited:

pogre

Legend
Ah yes, The White Stallion Coaching Inn - one of my favorite establishments. Found directly in Brigands' Bounty a free adventure one can find for free at pogre.com ;)

Spacehulkster - include some spaces between your paragraphs for easier reading. Short paragraphs and a bit of white space are good things in story hours. Looking forward to continued reading :cool:

Stormcrowe

First Post
Of course Im gruff and decisive! Do you argue with the storm? Do you beg nature to withhold her fury? No, you stand aside and let her do her will! No man, no beast withstands nature's fury. They can but cover their heads and hope for the storm to pass.

spacehulkster

First Post
Thanks to Felix the Pixie for volunteering to proof read and correct my grammar, as i have none... :cool:

The Hook…

A group of folk in upper class garb makes their way through the open tavern, back to one of the private rooms. Shortly thereafter, a coach master and runner guards come in and order ale and bread. Following an initial lull as the men eat and drink, the coach master rises in front of his chair and makes the following loud announcement:

“Fellow travelers. I am Coach master Barger. My coach ran into a bit of trouble up the way. As is standard White Stallion policy I will discuss a reward for those willing to help me deal with this problem. Those interested in this work should meet with me here at dawn tomorrow.”

After his speech, the coach master gathers together the rest of his party and they march off to bed.

The group eyes each other. Pudge finally breaks the ice “Yea sure, we make a few gold, take a few heads, but how long will it take?” (It was obvious that he was anxious to get to Waterdeep to see his friend, Basti.)

“Well,” piped the pixie, “how much shiny do we got in the community funds?”

“A few silver”, said Pudge, as he empties out the community pouch that he always carries.
“Sounds like we need more to cover expenses once we get to Waterdeep.” The pixie, always practical,
always stated the obvious.

The next morning the group crowded into the private room reserved for the coach master’s morning business. The group eyed the table full of food as they began to sit. Pudge and Dank once again began their little game on the few other would be bounty hunters already at the table. It was enough to get rid of some of their competition.

After waiting a few minutes, the Coaching company representative began to speak. “I am thankful there a few of you showed up, as this is NOT a one person job. You see, a dozen miles up the road we had a bit of trouble. Our coach was ambushed by a bunch of brigands. Barbarians, I believe. Fortunately, our runner guards were able to fend them off.”

The Coach master pauses as he takes a sip of tea. “I would like for all of you to travel up the road and punish these barbarians. There looked to be a dozen of them, mostly young humans. They are probably tribesmen on raids from the north. Nonetheless, they must be punished. I am authorized to offer you ten gold per head. Do you accept this contract?”

Vern steps up to examine the fine print of the written document. His gaze stops at a certain part of the contract, and his eyes light up. “Ten Gold per live Brigand or Brigand’s head presented at this Inn within a fortnight.” Sounds good to me, he accepts with a nod.

After buying rations and estimating distance and travel time, the group heads out. Vern began to sort out tactics. “Let’s see now. I estimate that it will take us roughly six hours to get to the area where Mr. Barger said they were ambushed. By then it will be getting around sup-time and I don’t want to take on a group of barbarians in the dark. Do you?” Vern casts a concerned look at his compatriots.
Dank and Pudge give a disgusting shake of their heads while the elves, Felix, and Milo agreed heartedly. As the gnome continues to rant on, Dank could only wonder what had possessed him to rescue Vern from the Drow a year ago.

Three Drow had the gnome cornered in a cavern, when Dank passed by and heard Vern lashing out with threats to them. “N-now stand back, or I’ll blast ya with a fireball, I will. You just let me pass. I’mmm ahh w-wizard!” Dank couldn’t possibly pass up a fight with some drow, even if it did concern a gnome.

Since then, Dank has developed a fondness for Vern and his way of calming a crowd. Surface dwellers don’t react to well to an Orog, and Dank appreciates Vern’s attempts to avert hostility.

Danks daydreaming was interrupted when the Party comes across a dwarf stumbling towards them, dragging an axe along the ground with one arm. “Ho thar. Another batch o’ rogues come to jump ‘ole Tarin, eh? Well, ye be a few hours late. All I have is this axe, but I’m willing to give it to ye, right between yer eyes!” After spitting, the struggling dwarf slowly takes up a fighting stance.

Un-impressed, Dank says what the whole party was thinking, “What makes ya think the likes of you can take on all eight of us?”

“I may go down, but I’ll wound a few o’ ye! My yer an odd bunch of thieves!”

“We’re NOT thieves” protested Elric. (To Elric, being a Rogue was an art. An art most Wood Elves disdained, but one he embraced with a passion.)

“We be bounty hunters” Vern piped in, “I’m Vern Turan, a wizard.”

Milo stepped forward, hoping to stop Vern before he bored the dwarf to death. “Can I be of service to you master dwarf? I am a priest.”

“Do ye serve Moradin?”

“I am afraid not, master dwarf,” answered Milo, I serve Pelor.”

“Well,” the dwarf turned and spit blood from his mouth, “I guess she’ll do.” With that, the dwarf slumped to the ground, Milo barely catching his head before it hits the road.

As the dwarf came to, he was bombarded by questions from Vern. “Ho thar, gnome” the dwarf exclaimed, “I be Tarin Alemaker, brewer of some of the best ale around these parts. My fellow worker, Cantor, and me, were taking a cartload of ale to Yartar when we were accosted by at least 10 brigands. A felled a tree blocked our path. The scum hacked poor Cantor mercilessly and felled me after a few seconds. The last thing I remember was falling to the ground as a few of them warriors laughed. When I awoke, me mule was dead, the cart was missing, and poor Cantor lay in a pool of his own blood.”

“There, there Tarin” consoled Milo. “We’ll take care of those ruffians.”

“How far up the road did this happen?” questioned Pudge.

“A few miles. If’n ye do catch up with those human vermin” Tarin turned and spat, “I’ll reward ye. And thanks fer the healing priest.” “How far to the Inn?”

“About 7 miles” replied Valen.

“Well, I’ll be there fer two nights of rest’n up. If ye find me belongings I’ll pay ye.” With that, Tarin started south towards the inn, thinking to himself “what an odd bunch o bounty hunters.”

pogre

Legend
“A few miles. If’n ye do catch up with those human vermin” Tarin turned and spat, “I’ll reward ye. And thanks fer the healing priest. How far to the Inn?”

Ooo, ooo - I spot the story hook - do I get a prize? ;)

spacehulkster

First Post
Ah yes, the prize. Well then, how about just knowing your "well written adventures" are being used and enjoyed! ;)

The Plan…

Vern immediately starts calculating tactics and plans. “Let’s go up a mile and rest. Valen and Elric can scout ahead and report back.”

The two Elves scamper off into the woods. It doesn’t take Valen long to find tracks. Human and wagon tracks! Coming and going from the woods to the road. Elric crept closer to the road and spotts the felled tree and dead mule, but nothing else. Satisfied, they hustled back to the group.

“We found the felled tree.” Elric points out. “And wagon tracks from there going into the woods” Valen adds.

Vern smiles coyly, “Great! They should be drinking heartily by now. Maybe we can trick them into an ambush of our own?” Vern continues excitedly, “Why don’t Dank, Pudge, Milo and I head up the road. The Elves and Felix can get in a position to ambush them from behind as they run to the road.”

The Elves and the Pixie head off excitedly to the spot Valen had found. The other four, took their time walking up the road, hoping the others could get into position before they reach the felled tree. By now it was dusk.

The four pigeons got to within one hundred feet before the tree, they then to start make as much noise as possible, trying to draw out the brigands. A head quickly pops over the tree, takes a glance down the road and shoots off into the woods. Pudge is the only one who spots the boy and takes off in pursuit.

About 40 yards into the wood, the ambush was ready. The four laying in wait, all heard the trampling of quick steps heading their way. Thalez is the first to act. Jumping into the path of the startled boy, he easily cleaves him in two. Elric and Valen quickly rifle through the boys person for loot. They did not hear the following footfalls of another runner.

But Felix does! “Quick, here comes another one!” he shouts. As Thalez raises his weapon to strike, Elric quickly surmises its Pudge and calls out “Hold! It’s Pudge!” The ambush had failed.

Pudge runs back towards the others at the road.

Meanwhile, the waiting is boring Dank, who promptly takes a seat on the tree looking down at the mule and dwarf lying on the road.

Vern decides that the mule must be moved off the road and asks Milo to give him a hand.
After a couple of tugs, they realize that moving this beast is impossible with no STRONG help. They both look up at Dank. Dank looking down at them, just shakes his head.

“Right then, lets just leave it here. What the….” Vern exclaims turning towards the sound of something running through the woods at them. Milo quickly ducks behind Dank.
Pudge comes stumbling out of the woods. “They got the look-out, but it doesn’t seem any of ‘em Brigands have taken the bait.”

“We should head in and take the fight to them then!” Vern exclaims with a glance towards Dank, who reassuringly gives a nod.

“Pudge” Dank calls, “do you notice anything about that dwarf thar?” Pudge glances and shakes his head no. “They took his boots. What would humans do with dwarven boots!”

The group gets back together and ponders their next move. Felix interrupts Vern in a high pitched voice, “Maybe their drunk!”

“Yes” Vern ponders, stroking his beard. “It’s getting late. We should move in all haste!” The elves eyes lit up with the prospect of more kill’ in.

“The fairies are a bit blood thirsty, aren’t they?” Dank confers with Pudge in Orcish. Pudge gives a knowing glance.

spacehulkster

First Post
The Fight

“Rich Gnome on the road!” exclaims Dank, as they near the brigands camp. No response.
They creep closer towards the clearing and spot a human lying on the cart, humming to himself.

The cart is in the middle of a clearing with two small tents beyond and a larger tent on their side of the cart. Pairs of fur lined boots could be seen out the tent openings.

Before a plan could be made Thalez shoots an arrow into the poor hummer, knocking him off of the cart as Valen charges the cart.

The barbarians are sluggishly rising, groping for their axes and great swords. Dank could see movement in the larger tent and charges headlong into it, narrowly missing a prop-pole and takes the entire tent and its inhabitants to the ground.

Elric and Felix crept forward. (Finesse is more their game) Pudge, Milo and Vern hang back, waiting for the barbarians to show themselves. Slowly they did.

Suddenly, a large barbarian emerges from under the larger tents folds. Shaking the ale from his skull, he winces as Valen and Thalez quickly put two arrows in him. He falls before raising his axe.

By now, most of the barbarians are jostling out of the remaining tents, while a couple in the larger tent are still scrambling to get out of the felled tent. Milo and Vern attempt to shoot the few dazed and confused barbarians standing around and miss horribly with their crossbows.

Thalez changes weapons and rushes to a couple emerging from a smaller tent. Elric attempts to back stab one of the combatants, but narrowly misses Thalez.

A barbarian from the other small tent emerges with a bow and shoots Elric in the shoulder. Who promptly runs towards Milo on the opposite side of the camp yelling, “Healing, I need healing!”

Alone, Felix is charged by a barbarian. Pudge runs to head him off and strikes him in the shoulder, felling the man. Felix promptly stabs at the barbarian as he goes down, “Take that. Thanks for the help Pudge.”

Above the clanging of swords, Thalez cries out “Three!” , “and Four!”

The last two barbarians finally make it out of the large tent and are shot by Milo, Vern and Valen.

Dank gathers the large tent into his arms and runs off into the woods yelling, “spoils of war!”

Felix senses a prime moment and catches the last eight brigands, Valen and Thalez in an Entangle spell. A few quick shots from Vern and Milo cut down a couple of the humans. Pudge, Valen and Thalez each cut one more down. A now healed Elric, stabs the last one.

As the last barbarian falls, Vern and Felix are quick to rifle through each tent and person for treasure. The rest of the group congratulates each other on their fighting prowess.

Pudge begins to be-head the bodies, casting each head into the cart. “Hey, this ones got an earring!”

Felix and Milo, repulsed by the sight, walk off into the woods trying to ignore the activity.

After a few heads are cut, Dank comes back to the camp site wearing the tent with two eye holes cut in it, crying out “BOO! BOO!”

Pudge looks up from his head duty with a snicker. “Eh, where’d you run off to?”

“They were drunk” answers Dank, pulling off the tent. “Not much of a fight. I knew you could handle it!”

Elric checks on the kegs of ale and determines that only 2 of the 6 kegs are in good enough shape to return to Tarin. Pudge and Dank take up removing bodies to outside the camp, so the group can rest at ease through the rest of the night. Vern assigns party members to tents and night watch.

After snacking on rabbit for breakfast, Vern has everyone loading up the cart and assigns positions to either push or pull the cart.

As the day goes on, everyone notices, that Felix isn’t contributing much to the trip. It came to a head, when Felix stumbled in front of Dank.

“Pixie, keep out of da way! Why don’t ya scout ahead or get on the cart and file down those growths on yer back.”

Astonished, Felix runs ahead and answers, “Their going to be WINGS!”
As he tried to stay ahead of the group, Felix would look over his shoulder back at the Dank.

By ten o clock in the morning, the group makes it back to the Inn, where they find Tarin relaxing next to a window.

“Ho thar!, I see you brought me cart back.” Tarin says gleefully. As he steps around to the rear of the cart, he catches a site he wasn’t prepared for. Nine human heads staring up at him!

Vern quickly diverts his attention to the two remaining kegs of ale and ask for payment.
Tarin counts out 20 pieces of gold, taking notice of Pudge removing the heads and laying them outside the Coaching Inn doors.

Elric walks into the Inn asking to see the proprietor for bounty payment.

The party takes a couple hours of rest at the Inn, and then sets off down the road to Yartar with 110 gold and 53 silver in their pockets.

“Lets go across country” Vern chimes, “we can make up some time by bypassing Yartar and crossing the fjord at Oakhurst.”*

The party agrees, though they all know it will mean a couple of days under the stars.

*Oakhurst, of course everyone is aware of Oakhurst. The famous Sunless Citadel!

Remove ads